Welcome to the APBWeb.
    phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

Three New York Troopers Shot (1 dead); Gunman Sought (NYSP)

one trooper shot yesterday (4/24) saved by his vest, another 2 shot today. 1 died. Known perp

This is a link to the perps photo. If you see him, consider him armed & dangerous.

http://www.officer.com/article/photo...opershoot2.jpg

One trooper dead, Spitzer says
    North Country resident Travis Trim, 23, sought in trooper shooting

Staff reports
    Last updated: 12:22 p.m., Wednesday, April 25, 2007

MARGARETVILLE -- A spokeswoman for Gov. Eliot Spitzer says one trooper has been killed in the hunt for a man suspected of shooting at least two other troopers, the Associated Press is reporting.
    Two more troopers were shot this morning amid the hunt for a man suspected of shooting another trooper Tuesday in the Delaware County village of Margaretville, according to the State Police spokesman.

Both troopers were flown by helicopter to Albany Medical Center Hospital, but the extent of their injuries was not immediately clear, the spokesman said.

The entrance to the emergency room at Albany Medical Center Hospital was barricaded late this morning and security have been keeping people and the press back. A few state police vehicles were parked at the hospital, and members of the media have assembled awaiting word of the conditions of the two troopers.

State Police are searching for Travis Trim, 23, of North Lawrence in St. Lawrence County in connection with Tuesday's shooting.

Trooper Matthew Gombosi, based at Troop C in Sidney, was shot in the chest Tuesday but was not seriously injured in the 2:45 p.m. shooting, said Trooper Nelson Torres, public information officer.

Police said they found the stolen Dodge Caravan Trim was allegedly driving abandoned on Searles Hill Road in the town of Middletown.

Police are advising all residents in that area to keep their doors locked and make sure they remove all keys from cars and recreational vehicles.

Albany Police Chief James Tuffey left the hospital at 11:40 a.m., just as Schenectady Police Chief Michael Geraci pulled up to the hospital. The two police chiefs spoke briefly with each other and had little information to report to the media.

Tuffey said, "Our condolences go out to the families of the officers shot. We're here to support the State Police."

Trim attended the State University of New York at Canton in fall 2006, studying motor-sports peformance and repair before leaving the school. The carnage bore an eerie similarity to Ralph "Bucky" Phillips' cop-shooting rampage last year that ended with the death of Trooper Joseph Longobardo and injury to two other troopers.

Phillips, 44, escaped from the Erie County jail last April and on June 10 shot Trooper Sean Brown in Chemung County. Brown, 31, recovered from his injuries and returned to work last summer.

Troopers spent months searching for Phillips in western New York. He ambushed Longobardo, and fellow Trooper Donald Baker Jr., of Clifton Park on Aug. 31, shooting them both and killing Longobardo who lived in Saratoga County.

Phillips was captured on Sept. 8 in Akeley, Pa. He admitted he killed Longobardo and pleaded guilty to other charges. He is serving a life sentence in state prison.

"From experience, I can just tell you that it's the worst thing come true again," Baker's wife, Tracey, said in at telephone interview. "It's devastating. We both know exactly what it's like. The worst fear come true."

Gombosi was shot outside the Country Store Sunoco station on Main Street in Margaretville, a Catskill-area community, part of the town of Middletown, Delaware County.

"The body armor absorbed most of the blow," said Torres. "You will always get bruising."

Police located the van on Cemetery Road in a rural area of Middletown. Police agencies across the Southern Tier are continuing their search for Trim, who stands 5-foot-11 and has brown hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a torn flannel shirt, an eyebrow ring and a ball cap, police said.

Just before 10 p.m. Tuesday, investigators were focusing on a narrow, remote stretch of Route 30, just outside of Grand Gorge. Troopers stopped cars and trucks on the two-lane road, and used police dogs at the area around a tire center. While traffic was stopped on the road, a search beam from a helicopter focused on the woods a few dozen yards away.

Dozens of State Police cars had gathered around the Margaretville barracks, which is several miles outside of town. The normally quiet town was previously best known for a massive flood in 1996, as the east branch of the Delaware River runs past the village.

Bernard Wessels, 68, of Middletown, said the hills surrounding the village are dotted with small caves that could provide easy hiding places. Wessels was skeptical the suspect would be able to find his way out of the woods near where state troopers found the van.

"As soon as I heard he went up (Cemetery Road), I said he ain't coming back out of there," Wessels said.

The suspect's van had been seen heading north on Route 30 after fleeing from the convenience store in Margaretville. Employees at the store refused comment.

A 30-year-old Margaretville man, who works and lives across the street from the station where the trooper was shot, said he was on his way home when he passed the trooper, who he said appeared to be speaking with someone while possibly checking a car. The man said he went upstairs to his apartment, heard a shot and ran downstairs in time to see the trooper pulling off his vest.

"I saw the cop going, 'I got shot. I got shot," said the man, who declined to give his name. "He was pulling his vest off, just really (upset)."

Margaretville residents said they are fearful that the suspect is still hiding out somewhere in the town.

"I'm closing up my store. We are just being precautious," Sue Ihlo, owner of the Cheese Barrel, said earlier in the day. "They've got one street blocked off and there are police everywhere. There is a helicopter in the air."

Anyone with information is asked to contact State Police at (607) 561-7400 or dial 911.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...date=4/25/2007

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Prayers sent for those lost and wounded and families and friends

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    WTF??? This is getting to be a little too common of an occurence. Something needs to change and in a hurry.

Rest in peace, troop. Carry on with your duties on the streets of heaven, we got these ones.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

SARG is offline Banned
    This is in my back yard. I do hope they kill this SOB very very dead.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    RIP.

I, too, hope they shoot that MF'er dead on the spot because that's what he deserves at the very least.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    RIP brother and thoughts and prayers enroute to his family and also those wounded in the incident.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

Posted earlier

http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/...ad.php?t=15289

update..saw it on the news about 30 mins ago..apparently they threw in several flash grenades into the house and the house caught on fire..burned down..i hope this shitbird suffered. I guess they're still looking for the body in the house
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

SARG is offline Banned
    It has been a nervous afternoon. I broke in two on the scene when they first came on the job a decade ago. One is now the Lt. of the DEP SRT and the other is a member of the NYS MRT.

Worrying makes my head hurt.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I have no problem with the idea that this POS burned to death, and I hope he was conscious till the very last second.

Condolences for the department, friends and family of all concerned. Best wishes for the fastest possible recovery for the injured.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Farmhouse Burns In Upstate Manhunt

POSTED: 10:31 am EDT April 25, 2007
    UPDATED: 7:57 pm EDT April 25, 2007

Email This Story | Print This Story

MARGARETVILLE, N.Y. -- Massive flames engulfed a farmhouse after a police assault during the hunt Wednesday for a man suspected of killing one trooper and wounding two others.

New York State Police Acting Superintendent Preston L. Felton said he has a "reasonable degree of certainty" that shooting suspect Travis D. Trim was in the house even though police had no contact with him since the morning. "Once the fire is out, then we will go through and search the scene ... and try to locate the remains."

Felton said police did not shoot into the house.

The fire erupted soon after an armored vehicle rolled up close to the building. SWAT teams tried to enter the house at about 5:50 p.m.

Within minutes, the left side of the house was engulfed. Firefighters were on the scene immediately.

The assault came roughly nine hours after two troopers were shot, one fatally, searching the rural home for Trim, 23, a suspect in Tuesday's shooting of another trooper.

The SWAT team was driven back by the flames as half the house was burning by 6:15 p.m.

Flashing emergency vehicle lights and streams of water marked the chaotic scene and there was no immediate information on injuries or whether Trim was found.

Felton said that at about 6:10 p.m., police fired a "non-incendiary type" device containing tear gas into the home. He said the cause of the fire isn't known.

Earlier Wednesday, Felton identified the dead trooper as David C. Brinkerhoff, a member of the specially-trained Mobile Response Team and the second member of that unit to die during a manhunt since September.

Brinkerhoff and Trooper Richard Mattson were shot at about 8:45 a.m. while searching the farm for Trim, who is suspected of shooting a trooper Tuesday afternoon during a traffic stop in nearby Margaretville, Felton said. Brinkerhoff was hit at least once in the head and Mattson was wounded in the left arm. He was in serious but stable condition after surgery at Albany Medical Center, where he was taken by helicopter. The wounded troopers were pulled from the house by two other officers who were helping search the farm as part of a massive police sweep through the area.

Heavily armed officers positioned on hillsides and behind stone walls spent much of the day keeping watch over the farmhouse as the armored vehicle moved around the building and a robot was used to search inside.

Chan Squires of Margaretville, witnessed one fusillade at around 10 a.m. as he was dropping his child off.

"They had a good 20 shots going back and forth. You could hear them ringing out," said Squires, who said he also heard the soft "poof" of a tear-gas container being fired into the house.

The farm, which neighbors described as a weekend residence, is in Arkville, a rural hamlet near Margaretville.

Trim's relatives expressed anxiety as the day unfolded.

"I don't think there's anyway for this to turn out good now. Not after shooting a trooper. His goose is cooked," said Ruth Trim, the suspect's grandmother, in a telephone interview from her home in northern New York.

Brinkerhoff, 29, was an 8-1/2 year state police veteran. He joined the MRT in early 2006. He is survived by his wife, Barbara, and 7-month-old daughter. Mattson, a 6-1/2 year veteran who joined the MRT in 2006, is married with 1-year-old son.

"Today, the New York State Police and the State of New York suffered a tremendous loss," Gov. Eliot Spitzer said in a prepared statement. "One of our best has fallen and another has been seriously wounded in the line of duty."

The manhunt was touched off by the shooting of Trooper Matthew Gombosi in this town on the edge of Catskill Park at about 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.

Felton said Gombosi had pulled Trim over for a minor traffic infraction -- most likely the license plate missing from the stolen Dodge Caravan he was driving. When Trim failed to provide identification, Gombosi told him he was under arrest. At that point, Felton said, Trim pulled a handgun from his waistband and fired once at the trooper.

Gombosi was hit in the lower left ribs and saved from serious injury by his body armor, police said.

After the shooting, police searched for the Caravan, which was later found abandoned. The minivan had been stolen Monday in St. Lawrence County, police said.

Trim, 23, is from North Lawrence, in St. Lawrence County about 10 miles south of the Canadian border.

He spent 2 months at the State University of New York-Canton during the fall semester of 2006 before withdrawing in mid-November, said Randy Sieminski, the school's director of public relations. He was registered in the school's motorsports performance and repair program.

Margaretville is about 65 miles southwest of Albany.
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Body found in burned home after manhunt

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070426/...ooper_shooting

By MICHAEL HILL, Associated Press Writer 13 minutes ago

MARGARETVILLE, N.Y. - Authorities recovered a body Wednesday night from the shell of a house that burst into flames just as police were storming in during a hunt for a man suspected of shooting three state troopers, one fatally.
    Police could not immediately confirm the body was that of Travis D. Trim, a 23-year-old whom police had been looking for since a trooper was shot during a routine traffic stop Tuesday in rural upstate New York.

But they said they believed it was the same person who shot two other troopers earlier in the day, because the body was found slumped in a doorway holding a rifle in the same area where shots were fired, said Preston Felton, acting superintendent of the New York State Police.

"It's reasonable to say he had no intention of coming out of there alive," Felton said.

Authorities believed Trim holed up in the farm house amid a manhunt in eastern New York. The home, located in the hamlet of Arkville, includes two red barns and was described by neighbors as a weekend residence.

How the fire started wasn't known. Sharpshooters were in position and authorities had fired tear gas into the home just before the flames began. Felton said that the suspect might have set the fire, or that tear gas fired into the home could have ignited something.

The saga began Tuesday, when police said a trooper stopped Trim in a stolen minivan for a minor traffic infraction in the Margaretville area.

When Trim failed to provide identification, Trooper Matthew Gombosi told him he was under arrest, said Preston L. Felton, acting superintendent of the State Police.

Then, Felton said, Trim pulled a handgun from his waistband and shot Gombosi. His body armor kept him from being seriously injured, but the suspect escaped, police said.

Police swept the area and found the stolen Dodge Caravan abandoned on a road in nearby Middletown.

Wednesday morning, Troopers David C. Brinkerhoff and Richard Mattson were shot while searching the farm house for Trim, Felton said. Shots came from the home and police fired back, authorities said, but didn't know if they struck the person inside.

The wounded troopers were pulled from the house by two other officers who were helping search the farm.

Brinkerhoff, who was shot in the head, died shortly afterward. Mattson, wounded in the left arm, was in serious but stable condition after surgery at Albany Medical Center, where he had been taken by helicopter.

Brinkerhoff, 29, an eight-year member of the state police, is survived by his wife and a 7-month-old daughter.

Felton said it could take a day or two to identify the body found in the home. The home's owner, Rommel Aujero, was aware that it burned and "appears to be a very understanding man," Felton said. A number for Aujero could not be located.

The standoff came seven months after the arrest of a man who also shot three troopers, one fatally, during a months-long manhunt in western New York.

Last summer, Ralph "Bucky" Phillips led police on a five-month manhunt throughout heavily wooded western New York after breaking out of a county jail. He shot one trooper during a traffic stop and two others who were searching for him. One of those troopers died.

Phillips was captured in September and is serving two life sentences. After that manhunt, the union that represents state troopers sharply criticized the way state police officials managed the search.

Trim had a record of arrests for nonviolent crimes, but his grandmother said he had tried to turn his life around.

"He wanted to go to college. We talked to his probation officer to help fix it up," Ruth Trim said by phone from her home in Dickinson Center before the body was recovered. "I'm devastated. He was going to go to college to make something of himself."

Trim had been enrolled briefly at the State University of New York-Canton but withdrew in November, said Randy Sieminski, a school spokesman. He was registered in the school's motorsports performance and repair program.

Trim's family and officials at schools he attended were stunned to hear he was a shooting suspect.

"It's all so bizarre," said Mark Hill, a SUNY-Canton instructor who had Trim in a freshman class. "He had no bad dealings here. He got along with everyone and worked well in team settings."

At the state Capitol on Wednesday, the Republican state Senate leader demanded the Democratic governor use his influence to bring back the death penalty, saying it had apparently become "open season on law enforcement people."

A New York Court of Appeals ruling in 2005 effectively nullified the death penalty in the state. Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno said his chamber would approve legislation next week to bring it back for the killing of police officers and prison guards and in cases of deaths caused by terrorists.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Body found in burned home after manhunt
    I hope that hurt, asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    At the state Capitol on Wednesday, the Republican state Senate leader demanded the Democratic governor use his influence to bring back the death penalty, saying it had apparently become "open season on law enforcement people."

A New York Court of Appeals ruling in 2005 effectively nullified the death penalty in the state. Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno said his chamber would approve legislation next week to bring it back for the killing of police officers and prison guards and in cases of deaths caused by terrorists.

Public hangings. Bring 'em back.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    As much as I'd like to read about him burning alive, I suspect he started the fire himself and then ate his gun.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Piece of shit!

Thoughts/Prayers for the troops!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

I agree Conalabu , this is happening far too often lately and its beyond ridiculous , laws need changed so these low life cop killers and attempt to kill , arent looked up to in prison and sent straight to their demise within days of conviction not mega years, via electric chair with one lead hooked up to their d--- or hanging or torching their nuts on fire etc etc , or share a cell with a python that needs excercise , or one of several other ideas that would make them wish they were dead alot faster .

Prayers and Condolences to all for a brother lost and to the survivors .

Anyone know any l.e. sanctioned sites , places , people that are working on trying to change the laws ?
    Cops are sworn to protect your a@@ not kiss it .

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    My thoughts and prayers to the family of the officer that was killed and prayers for a quick recovery to the officers that were wounded.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

SARG is offline Banned
    Now they're saying that Brinkerhoff died from a friendly-fire ricochet to the back of the head. I'm praying for the other team members to stay strong.
    They also said the BG took three rounds.

SARG is offline Banned
    Just got an email back from one of the MRT members. He says the Team is hanging tough. They've gotta get through the funeral and then take a break.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Thread Information