19/01/2006 18:00 - (SA)

Related Articles
    Cop killed in Rosebank robbery

Crime intelligence cop killed

VIP cop killed during robbery

Young cop killed on duty

Cop killed, another wounded

VIP cop killed

Johannesburg - The body of a 40-year-old North Rand policewoman has been found at a plot in Vereeniging, said Vaal Rand police on Thursday.

Superintendent Maria Mazibuko said the body of captain Anna-Marie Potgieter was found by the owner of the plot on Wednesday.

It is believed that Potgieter was murdered on Tuesday.

Mazibuko said a post-mortem would be conducted next week.

The Vaal Rand serious and violent crime unit was investigating.

2 held for CPU cop's murder
    20/01/2006 11:21 - (SA)

Johannesburg - Two men have been arrested for the murder of top child cop Captain Anna-Marie Potgieter, 39, police said on Friday.

The policewoman's naked body was found under a tree near her friend's house on the plot, Sterkfontein, outside Vereeniging, on Wednesday, said Superintendent Maria Mazibuko.

She'd been shot twice in the right-hand side of her chest with her 9mm service pistol, and had a broken arm.

"When her friend couldn't find her, he alerted police," Mazibuko said.

Initial investigations had revealed that she was murdered on Tuesday."

"One suspect was arrested on Thursday at the Vereeniging taxi rank getting off a taxi from QwaQwa," she said.

"The second suspect was arrested early on Friday in the vicinity of the plot..."

The two, aged 19 and 24, would appear in Vereeniging magistrate's court on Monday on murder charges.

Police had recovered Potgieter's car in Harrismith in the Free State, said Mazibuko.

It had broken down and was taken to the premises of a towing service.

At the time of the attack, Potgieter was on study leave from her job as acting unit commander of the North Rand Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit, said Mazibuko.

She could not say whether Potgieter's death was related to cases she had been investigating - including a Nigerian child prostitution ring.

Potgieter was involved in the arrest of Benoni serial rapist Peter Putter in 2003.

Her death had made the world "a little harsher for children," the Democratic Alliance said on Friday.

He hoped the killing "wasn't some kind of intimidation tactic to put police off their stride", added DA Gauteng safety and security spokesperson John Moodey.

Full articles can be read at http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/
    Servamus et Servimus........"To Serve and Protect"

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    RIP

God bless her and her family
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    That's awful..>>RIP!

chris2001 is offline Captain
    R.i.p
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Thread Information