Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

Chief Randy Lacy Shot and Killed on Duty

Heard this on the news while I was on shift today. This is another tragic reminder that we can't ever risk trusting a suspect.

Chief Lacy was on duty in Clay City KY, and had made an arrest. The suspect shot Chief Lacy in the head as he was being transported to the jail. The suspect is currently in custody.

My heart goes out to his family. I hope the perpetrator gets the needle.

Story is here.

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Rest easy Brother.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    RIP sir, thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. They need to bring back hangings. Or maybe even the firing squad, piece of shit!

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    RIP
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    May the Chief Rest in Peace. May the suspect never rest.

"He said Randy Lacy treated people with respect, and a lot of times he wouldn’t handcuff them."

ALWAYS, ALWAYS HANDCUFF PRISONERS. Even though I now work for a relatively peaceful town, I always cuff. My partner didn't cuff the other night on a warrant. DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    RIP

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers enroute.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

cidp24a is offline Master Officer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    My prayers got out to the family. I am sorry for their loss.
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History"

"All history becomes subjective; in other words there is properly no history, only biography."

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    RIP Chief and my thoughts and prayers to the family friends and people served by Chief Lacy.

Rest easy brother
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    RIP. And read the text here and learn something from it:
    Ky. police chief shot to death
    By JEFFREY McMURRAY
    Associated Press Writer

CLAY CITY, Ky. --
    A trusting, small-town police chief - the city's only officer - was fatally shot Wednesday after he cuffed a suspect's hands in the front instead of the back, authorities said.

In most circumstances, officers cuff in the back to restrict mobility. But cuffing in the front was a practice that Chief Randy Lacy, 55, often used when arresting people he knew, said Greg Adams, a Powell County sheriff's deputy. The suspect, who had been stopped on suspicion of driving under the influence, had a long criminal history, records show.

It wasn't clear how the suspect accessed a gun. But Lacy kept an extra gun in his cruiser between the front seat and the console, Adams said. State police spokesman Phil Crumpton would not confirm that.

"Randy was a good officer," Adams said. "He did trust people a little too much."

A county judge-executive said earlier that Lacy was shot from the back seat of his cruiser, but authorities did not confirm that.

Charges were pending against Jamie Barnett, 37, state police spokesman Phil Crumpton said. It wasn't clear whether the suspect had a lawyer.

Lacy had been police chief of this town of 1,300 in the Appalachian foothills since 2004. He began serving in law enforcement in 1985.

"He was respected by all the police officers, and he was even loved by the people he was putting in jail," said the victim's brother Garland Lacy, a court bailiff and sheriff's chaplain.

Lacy would sometimes stop and buy suspects snacks or cigarettes before taking them to jail, Adams said.

He was the only law officer for the town, which was looking to fill two vacancies.

Barnett has a long criminal history, according to records from the Powell County Circuit Court Clerk's office.

He was charged with assaulting a police officer in 1994, according to the records. In April, he was charged with driving under the influence, leaving the scene of an accident and disorderly conduct, court records said. Records also show the April 9 drunken driving arrest was his second such offense.

Lacy's death upset people throughout the town, said Brenda Patrick, whose mother used to live next door to the chief.

"Everybody's shocked by it. The town sort of went wild today, I think," she said in a phone interview. "It's like a blanket of sorrow spread over the neighborhood."

(This version CORRECTS attribution in second paragraph to Adams, not Crumpton.)

There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

spd110 is offline 110
    RIP. Another tragic event to learn from. Take the time to 'cuff, search, and secure those in custody.

MemphisCop is offline FTO, CIT, MPA, FOP...running out of letters!!!
    After reading this, I am immediately sorrowed, and my prayers are with the family of the Chief. It does, however, bring back the memory of the incident in Tampa, Florida, a few years back. If some of you can remember, Tampa Police detectives handcuffed a prisoner in front, and ended up shot and killed. The scrote then proceeded to shoot a FHP Trooper with very little time on at an interstate exit before killing his own sorry ass. NEVER NEVER handcuff ANYONE with their hands in the front. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    We're too short handed, too under appreciated, not respected by thugs, and who cares what the bad guys think while being transported to jail? I'm going home at the end of MY shift, and don't give a damn about the moron in my back seat who's not. He/she put themselves in that situation, not me.
    Last edited by MemphisCop; 06-14-07 at 12:32 AM. Reason: spelling

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." --Winston Churchill...

" You tell him we're comin', they've called down the thunder and hell's a'coming!!!!....Wyatt Earp

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    RIP
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

PCSD722 is offline Rookie

Ky Officer?

I heard something on the news yesterday about a Police Chief killed in eastern KY by someone he was arresting for DUI. I just briefly caught it. Anyone hear anything about it?

PCSD722

Kevin
    Stay safe, let's all go home.

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    CLAY CITY A police chief killed in his cruiser was shot point-blank in the back of his head with a single bullet fired from his own gun, the coroner said Thursday.

The bullet was fired from the back seat and passed through a wire and hard plastic barrier before hitting the chief, Powell County Coroner Carl Wells said.

Clay City Police Chief Randy Lacy was killed Wednesday morning while driving a man he had arrested on a charge of driving under the influence. The car traveled another 350 feet before colliding with a stop sign and rolling into a ditch.

Investigators were trying to determine how suspect Jamie Barnett got the weapon. Lacy usually carried two guns with him.

"That's kind of a mystery to us," Wells said.

Deputy Greg Adams said Lacy often kept a second gun between the seat and console in the front. He speculated that the extra gun could have slipped to the back, but Kentucky State Police officials handling the investigation wouldn't comment on that theory.

Lacy, the only officer in this small eastern Kentucky town, was remembered as being tough on the drug epidemic but compassionate to the criminals, many of whom he helped put behind bars.

State Police have said Lacy cuffed Barnett's hands in front rather than behind the suspect's back, as he did if he was familiar with a suspect. Barnett had a long criminal record and Lacy knew him well.

He has been charged with murder in Lacy's death and arraignment was scheduled for Friday.

Gov. Ernie Fletcher directed that flags at all state office buildings remain at half-staff in honor of Lacy until sunset on the day of his funeral. The service was scheduled for Sunday at the Powell County High School gym.

Rest in peace brother.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Threads merged.

Rest easy, brother. We've got the watch now.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information