Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Volunteer Fireman/Reserve Deputy killed responding to mutual aid fire call

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/2529272

By CHRISTINE L. PRATT
    Staff Writer
    SALT CREEK TWP. -- Jared Zimmerly stopped at the home of Holmes County Sheriff's deputy Fred Johnson Saturday night to pick up a department cruiser.
    A member of the sheriff's reserve unit, Jared Zimmerly was looking forward to spending the night working the road with his father, Holmes County Sheriff Timothy W. Zimmerly.
    But, before he could return the cruiser to Johnson on Sunday, Jared Zimmerly's life was cut short.
    Jared Zimmerly, 20, of County Road 201, in March broadened his life of public service when he joined the Prairie Township Fire Department, according to fire Chief Mose Yoder, who said, "He had a nice personality. He was great."
    While he hadn't known the younger Zimmerly long, Yoder said, the desire of a young person to give his personal time to help others "says something about a person."
    It's the job of these volunteers to aid crash victims, but little could prepare even the most savvy of first responders for the moment of discovering the victim is one of your own. "It's tough," Yoder said.
    Jared Zimmerly was westbound on County Road 189 when he apparently lost control of his 2006 Pontiac GTO in a curve. The car slid off the left side of the road and crashed into a pole and a large pine tree before overturning, according to the Wooster Post of the State Highway Patrol.
    Jared Zimmerly, who was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected from the car, according to the patrol. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
    The slick road, made wet by a recent rain shower, likely contributed to the crash, according to the patrol.
    When Jared Zimmerly hit the road as a sheriff's reserve, often it was riding shotgun with Johnson, who said he's gotten to know the young man over the years, during which time he would accompany his father to department events and activities.
    "He was always excited when he had a chance to come in and work for the sheriff's office. He always had a smile on his face and was a lot of fun to be around," Johnson said, adding Jared Zimmerly's broad smile could brighten even the darkest days. "He enjoyed life."
    "When he left (Saturday) night, he had that smile on his face. I know he enjoyed going out in the police car and the time he was going to get to spend with his dad," Johnson said, glad he had the opportunity to see Jared Zimmerly one last time.
    Like his father, Jared Zimmerly represented a rare breed of people willing to give back, Johnson said.
    "He liked to help people. It takes a special kind of person to do what we do. A lot of people want to put themselves first. What we do is put others first, and you put yourself last and we risk our lives for others.
    When Johnson began his own career in law enforcement nearly 20 years ago, his mother sat him down and reminded him of the need to "treat other people the way you want to be treated. (Jared Zimmerly) had that in the way he wouldn't worry about himself. He was always wanting to get to the call."
    When contemplating volunteering with the fire department, Jared Zimmerly asked Johnson's advice. "I told him you have to live your dream, do what you want to do. You only live once, so you have to live it to the fullest."
    That's just what Jared Zimmerly did, he said.
    "You've got to take it one day at a time and enjoy life because you never know when it's going to be your last. He pretty much got to do everything he wanted. He wore the uniform proudly as his dad does ... It reminded me of his dad's beliefs you wear your uniform proudly."
    Another of the elder Zimmerly's philosophies Johnson said he couldn't forget was the message he sent to the troops the day he was sworn into office in 1993.
    "I remember him telling me, your families come first and your job comes second. That told me he was a family man. It's been almost 15 years, and it's still fresh in my mind.
    "My personal family went through a number of tragedies in the last five-seven years," Johnson said, adding, "The sheriff we have in this county, there's not enough words to say for the man. No matter the time of day or night, he was there for me. He's always been there for me, and I know he's been there for other officers."
    Now, Johnson's giving back.
    "My heart goes out to the family. I know (Tim Zimmerly's) kids were everything to him. At times you feel like your helpless, but you have to be strong as a person and a department."
    The loss of Jared Zimmerly is "especially hard to see in our line of work. You're here to help other people, and when it's your own -- fire, medical, law enforcement -- it's harder to accept."
    He was numbed when he received the call Jared Zimmerly died. "There's still numbness right now, shock," Johnson said, as he drove Sunday afternoon to the home of Tim and Marlene Zimmerly. "You just talk to someone last night, and the next day they're gone."
    Lt. Chad Enderby, commander of the Wooster Post, met briefly with the Zimmerly family at Pomerene Hospital Sunday afternoon.
    "First and foremost, you offer your condolences and let them know you share in their grief for this loss," Enderby said, adding, he also made available to Tim Zimmerly any necessary help for the family or the department.
    "It's a very difficult situation when you are familiar with the victims involved. Any kind of traffic fatality is a tragedy, but when you're familiar with the victim, it makes it a very difficult situation to deal with."
    When first responders are en route to a call, he said, "there's a fine line between normal driving and emergency response driving."
    "Sometimes it takes events like this to make people sit back and think about how they're responding. The law gives exceptions, but you still have to operate with due regard," Enderby said, adding it is unclear if speed was a factor in the crash.
    And, while seat belts help to reduce injuries and save lives, Enderby said, "There is no way of knowing with this type of collision if it would have saved his life."
    The Zimmerly family is in the thoughts and prayers of Millersburg Police Chief S. Thomas Vaughn, who began his law enforcement career with the Holmes County Sheriff's Office, when Tim Zimmerly was a detective.
    His son, Kyle, also followed him into public service, and is a deputy with the sheriff's office.
    "You pay a little more attention to the radio when your son's out there working," he said, knowing the adrenaline rush that accompanies a call for service. "You're just thinking about where you need to be and what's going on there, and you're not really thinking about getting from point A to point B."
    Like Enderby, Vaughn offered the services of the Millersburg Police Department. "Whatever the sheriff's office needs, our office will be there to provide it. Whatever they need, we're there."
    Emotionally distraught by the loss of a friend, Johnson several times fell silent.
    "When you look at the father, you see the son. When you looked at Jared, you could see a lot of his dad in him. He wanted to be a lot like his dad. He had lot of respect for his parents. He loved his brother and sister."
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    RIP brother...
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Rip Brother thoughts and prayers enroute to the family and friends of the fallen.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Update to any Ohio or closeby Officers.

Calling hours Tuesday 9/11 from 1700-2100. "Last call" for Police/Fire/EMS to enter calling hours together at 20:00 hours.

Funeral 10:30am Wednesday. Both will be held at Perry Reese Community Center (at Hiland High School) in Berlin, Ohio
    Procession to follow funeral to Prairie Twp cemetery.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

blackcamaro8895 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    This is the only way i knew about this, Pudge. Thanks for posting this. Im in shock........RIP Jared.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    RIP
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Rest in peace now brother...
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    RIP

Thread Information