Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!

Officer Killed, Another Injured in Shootout

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Police say an officer has been killed and another is injured after a domestic dispute call ended in a shootout in southwest Las Vegas.

Authorities say the suspect in the shooting also was killed.

The incident happened near the intersection of South Tomsik Street and Feather Duster Court in southwest Las Vegas.

Police say an officer was responding to a domestic dispute call. After arriving at the scene, the officer called for back up and an off-duty officer responded to the call.

A police spokesman says the officers were fired upon by the suspect.

Police say the off-duty officer suffered moderate injuries and has been taken to University Medical Center. The other was shot dead.

No word on the identity of the officer or the suspect that was killed.

An investigation into the incident in ongoing.

Authorities say Sawyer Middle School and Rogers Elementary School students that LIVE IN THE AREA of the shooting are being held at their schools until parents can pick them up.

http://www.kvvutv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4442253

This should be updated with names and photo when they come out. Either by me or someone else, whomever does it first.

Cheech Guest
    Definetely. This happened out of there SW area command. Sad to hear. Where did you hear about this? What part of the country are you from?

RIP for the fallen officer, And for the other one involved.

http://www.kvvu.com/Global/story.asp?S=4442253

Cheech Guest
    Time line

1) Neighbors and family members reportes to police that a woman was being beaten in front of the house.
    2) The first officer arrived on the scene and when he saw how violent the suspect was he called for backup.
    3) At this point, police say the suspect shot at the two officers killing the first officer and wounding the backup officer.
    4) The backup offcier then shot and killed the suspect.

Metro officers have gathered at UMC while the injured officer undegoes treatment. He was reportedly shot three times in the right knee. No information has been released yet on the officer that was killed.

According to police, the deceased officer was responding to a domestic disturbance. Police say that officer realized he was dealing with a violent suspect and would need assistance and called for help. An off duty officer on his way to work responded. When that officer arrived, he saw that the first officer had been shot. He returned fire hitting the suspect, but not before he was shot three times in the leg.

The shooting happened around 1:30 p.m. at 8336 Feather Duster Court in the southwest part of the valley.

The last two Southern Nevada officers shot and killed in the line of duty were North Las Vegas police officer Raul Paul Elizondo in 1995 and Metro Officer Marc Kahre in 1988.

Sadly the North Las Vegas officer named was a friend of my dads also.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasvegasog
    Definetely. This happened out of there SW area command. Sad to hear. Where did you hear about this? What part of the country are you from?

RIP for the fallen officer, And for the other one involved.

http://www.kvvu.com/Global/story.asp?S=4442253
    I'm from the DC Metro area and I read this on another site.

Cheech Guest
    Ohh, Yeah its pretty sad. A family is now getting news that their loved one is gone cause of some asshole. the suspect got what he deserves, and is going to suffer the consequences.

MountainCop Guest
    Damn - I hate when this happens.

RIP and condolences to his family.

May justice be swift.

BrokenOne is offline The one and only
    Yeah I heard about it today at the Academy. Our whole academy is going to the funeral whenever it may be.
    RIP

MountainCop Guest
    I think that is an excellent idea and highly appropriate.

I go to Vegas about twice a year - I stay with a friend and his family - about 5 miles from where this happened...

Quote Originally Posted by NVHPD
    Yeah I heard about it today at the Academy. Our whole academy is going to the funeral whenever it may be.
    RIP

There is nothing more bone chilling. Believe it or not some people may quit the academy over it. They will realize this shit is for real and see what can happen to them.

Very sad

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    There is nothing more bone chilling. Believe it or not some people may quit the academy over it. They will realize this shit is for real and see what can happen to them.

Very sad
    All so very true. If they leave now, it may be what is best for them.

Cheech Guest
    Thats sad stuff man.

Well... Metro has been known to be the bad area and the cops are generally in more danger (ask LasVegasOG he has seen it first hand on a ride along) but this time it was different being that it is a higher class area with expensive homes.
    No one will quit the academy but this will strengthen the fact that we need to be prepared everyday for what can happen. And it has been told to us numerous times that Domestic Violence calls are the most dangerous calls to go to.

Just don't be surprised if you lose someone. Trust me it happens...

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    Just don't be surprised if you lose someone. Trust me it happens...
    We had a guy get shot in the head with a simunition and quit on the spot. Realizing you are not invincible is hard to deal with.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NVHPD
    Well... Metro has been known to be the bad area and the cops are generally in more danger (ask LasVegasOG he has seen it first hand on a ride along) but this time it was different being that it is a higher class area with expensive homes.
    No one will quit the academy but this will strengthen the fact that we need to be prepared everyday for what can happen. And it has been told to us numerous times that Domestic Violence calls are the most dangerous calls to go to.
    'Higher class' homes are no guarantee of anything. In fact, some of them tend to think they are 'privileged' and don't have to answer to anyone but themselves. That makes them dangerous from the start. Plus, all the work dealings they have can be extremely stressful (especially in Vegas - and there's no place like it!), and it adds up to an explosive combination.

And DVs are right up there with traffic stops. They can be extremely dangerous because you have to assume that the victim will turn on you if you arrest the attacker. We have a policy that unless absolutely necessary to preserve life, we ALWAYS have a cover officer.

And I'm glad to hear that no one is quitting the Academy. Shows strength of character.

Take care...

Cheech Guest
    I too was kind of surprised to hear it was out of the SW area command. Generally a good area. But everyone is right, It can happen any where. The higher class places here people do tend to think nothing can happen to them and that they are invincible. Also another thing that hasnt been pointed out, The other officer involved I send my prayers to him, I dont think he will ever be able to walk right. He was shot 3 times in the knee.

Cheech Guest
    Thought I would add more to this.

It was a tragic and emotional day for law enforcement in the valley. One of their own was killed in the line of duty and another injured. The officers were responding to a domestic violence call when the suspect, a local rapper, opened fire.

A 14-year Metro veteran, 37-year-old Sgt. Henry Prendes, was killed. He leaves behind a wife and two young daughters. Sgt. Prendes grew up in Las Vegas.

The suspect, who was also killed, was 21-year-old Amir Rashid Crump. Sheriff Bill Young said Crump fired 50 rounds at police from a cheap AK-47 type assault rifle. He reloaded several times, as officers found several empty "banana clips." Young said it was clear that Crump was prepared for any confrontation with police.

Dozens of officers spent the afternoon and evening visiting the officer who is recovering at UMC. The officer was reportedly shot three times in the right knee.

While those officers stood by their comrade, others were busy investigating at the scene of the crime looking for clues about the man who shot the two officers and how it all unfolded.

It started out like many other calls, a domestic disturbance with a man accused of beating his girlfriend. But this one was different. When the officer arrived at the home in the southwest valley near Durango and Russell, police say that officer realized he was dealing with a violent suspect and would need assistance.

The officer called for backup, but then the suspect attacked, shooting the officer with an assault rifle and killing him. He is the first Metro officer to be shot to death in the line of duty in 18 years.

An officer responded. When that officer arrived, he saw that the first officer had been shot. The suspect fired at the second officer who returned fire hitting and killing the suspect, but not before he was shot three times in the leg. His injuries are not life threatening.

The name of this officer is being withheld, which is routine when lethal force is used.

Metro Assistant Sheriff Rod Jett issued the following timeline Feb. 1 at 4 p.m.

1) Officer responded to a violent domestic call at approximately 1:20 p.m. The officer was met in the front yard of the residence by the girlfriend of the suspect, her mother and brother.

2) Prior to the officer arriving, police received numerous calls from neighbors about a suspect out in the front yard beating a woman with a stick and chasing her around the yard. The officer called for a back up and a plains clothes officer responded.

3) Once officers arrived on the scene, they conferred with the family in the front yard. The family related to the officers that the suspect had retreated into the house.

4) Officers approached the house, which had an open door. As they approached the doorway they were immediately met by gunfire. The suspect was using an assault rifle.

5) One officer was instantly killed. The second officer returned fire on the suspect and the suspect was killed.

The shooting happened at 8336 Feather Duster Court in the southwest part of the valley near Durango and Russell.

I have more info then that given by LasVegasOG but I dont know that this is the place to share it. It is stuff that wasnt told to the public and I dont know if I should. I will evalute what I know and decide later of what I should say.
    Our whole academy is going to the funeral on Tuesday.
    -NVHPD

If you go to the Officer Down Memorial Page it has a more accurate story of how it ended. I will leave it at that. It has a Picture and everything updated.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18136

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information