Welcome to the APBWeb.
    gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO

Minneapolis Park Police Officer Dies after Being Hit by Squad Car During Foot Chase

http://wcco.com/local/mark.bedard.mi....2.564504.html

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ―
    A Minneapolis Park Police Officer critically injured last week when he was hit by a squad car during a chase died Friday.
    Mark Bedard, 34, was a 12-year veteran of the park police.
    On Nov. 1, Bedard and several other park officers and Minneapolis Police Officers responded to a report of shots fired in north Minneapolis. Bedard was chasing a suspect on foot into an alley when he was struck by a Minneapolis Police squad car which was also pursuing the suspect.
    Witnesses said the driver of the squad car was going 40 mph when she struck Bedard. As part of standard procedure, the driver of the squad car has been put on administrative leave.
    Bedard had been in critical condition at North Memorial Medical Center since the crash.

Bedard's family will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. Check back on WCCO.COM to watch it live.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You know what's ridiculous??

WCCO's top stories (when I looked) were about MNDOT firing their manager, and a dead girl's BAC of .46 on her 21st birthday.

I had to scroll down for this story..

No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Yeah, it pisses me off when important stories are buried.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    RIP... many prayers to his family and friends.

Prayers also to the officer who hit him; I'm certain she has a long emotional road ahead.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Officer Mark Bedard RIP. Thank you for your dedication and service to your community. May God give great comfort to your family and friends during this trying period.

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Services set for Mpls. officer who died after being struck by car

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) Funeral services are scheduled for this week for a police officer who died from injuries he suffered when he was struck by another officer's squad car during a chase.

Visitation for Mark Bedard, 34, is scheduled to be held from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Washburn-McReavy Funeral Home in Edina. Refreshments will be served beginning at 6 p.m. at the Minneapolis park board headquarters. Bedard was a 12-year veteran of the park police force.

The funeral is slated for 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Basilica of St. Mary. The funeral procession will leave the Basilica and pass Lake of the Isles and Lake Calhoun to Lakewood Cemetery.

Bedard was running after a suspect Nov. 1 when he was struck in an alley by a squad car that was also pursuing the suspects, authorities said. The officers were responding to a report of shots fired in north Minneapolis.

Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

DEPUTY30 is offline "Justice the Guardian of Liberty."
    Verified LEO
    RIP Brother
    *********You can't fix stupid*****************

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    RIP

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    RIP
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers en-route.

I don't know what their communication system is like, but we are fortunate enough to use a system that let's us patch frequencies in mutual aid situations. Good communication between agencies can reduce the risk of officer injuries.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Verified LEO
    We have statewide emergency channels and there are also inter-departmental tac channels. I'm sure Park Police and the city Police were using the same channel during this. The problem was running between garages and into an alley. You can't tell where sirens are coming from and drivers have no time to stop if they see someone run out in front of their car.

Here's the final out-of-service call from the funeral, plus another link to the coverage from one of the local stations.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s257287.shtml?v=1

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S255713.shtml?cat=1

Verified LEO
    From one of the Channel 5 reporters covering the funeral.

Nov. 14: Funeral for a Fallen Father
    By: Mark Albert

Today, mourners said a very public goodbye to Minneapolis Park Police officer Mark Bedard, 34. Bedard was chasing a shooting suspect on foot Nov. 1 in North Minneapolis when a Minneapolis police patrol car hit him, sending him into the windshield, and inflicting massive internal injuries. Despite, what appeared to be, a slightly improving condition early last week, Bedard died with his family by his side Friday, Nov. 9.

I went to the funeral this morning at the Basilica of St. Mary in Minneapolis and I'm doing a story on it for our 10pm news tonight.

A few things struck me as I sat in a pew watching the two-hour funeral:

-Amid the somberness and the sadness, came brief moments of levity and even innocence. As Bedard's casket entered the Basilica, the bagpipers began playing, their high-pitched sound filling the cavernous sanctuary. The casket sat just past the nave, with Bedard's widow, Andrea, holding their two-and-a-half year old son, Nick. When the bagpipes fell silent, Nick raised his arms and burst out, "yeah!," like one would at a celebration or concert. He then pointed to the ceiling and told his mom, "pretty." Andrea Bedard replied, "yes, pretty." It was a moment of innocence that went all but unnoticed amid the regal ceremony and majesty of a highly choreographed police officer's funeral.

-Hundreds of police officers, perhaps nearing a thousand, filled half the pews in the massive Basilica and nearly all of the temporary folding chairs put in place to handle the crowd. Most of the officers were from the Minneapolis police department, the Minneapolis Park police, and the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office. But there were many officers representing departments from across the Twin Cities and beyond. I noticed one officer, standing by himself as the casket was carried up the Basilica's front steps. He wore a dress uniform, with the patch of the Barrington, Illinois Fire Department on his arm.

-Many elected and appointed officials attended, including Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, Minneapolis Council members Don Samuels and Gary Schiff, Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek, various Minneapolis police administrators, and others. They were strikingly anonymous, attending a public event where they were not called upon to speak; just to witness the funeral of a brave officer, and fallen father. As Bedard's casket was removed from the Basilica and carried down the front steps, those leaders stood silent shoulder to shoulder next to a virtual army of officers with black bands covering their badges, as the bells tolled.

And Andrea Bedard still held her young son, bundled against the chill of a cloudy, somber November afternoon, on the way to bury her husband in an orchestrated goodbye that was anything but private.

We thank them for letting us share with our viewers their grief, their mourning, their memories and their stories of Mark in such a time of sorrow and loss. Our thoughts are with the Bedard family.

Copper51 is offline Up all night
    RIP
    The statements and opinions made here are of Copper51's only. They do not reflect my department or the city I work for.
    So lay off, I'm offduty and spouting off.

hush29 is offline Corporal
    RIP brother
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    RIP.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    The man police were chasing at the time Officer Mark Bedard was hit last month has been charged Wednesday. 18-year-old Antonio Smith was charged with two felonies: Drive by shooting and fleeing police.
    Prosecutors said Smith was in the car that fired the first shots, initiating the police chase.
    Hennepin County is considering adding more charges, including murder.

RIP

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Officer Mark Bedard RIP. Thank you for your dedication and service to your community. May God give great comfort to your family and friends during this trying period.

I couldn't say it better

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information