Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

California Detective Fatally Shot

DAVID CASTELLON
    Courtesy of The Visalia Times-Delta

Courtesy of The Visalia Times-Delta via Tulare County Sheriff's Office

Detective Kent Haws

Courtesy of The Visalia Times-Delta/Teresa Douglass

Law enforcement personnel investigate the scene where an officer was fatally shot Dec. 17.
    IVANHOE, Calif.-- Authorities have arrested an Ivanhoe man in the fatal shooting of Tulare County sheriff's detective Kent Haws. Jorge Gomez Banda, 20, was arrested and booked at the Tulare County Sheriff’s Main Jail Facility on suspicion of homicide.

But exactly what led to the shooting that killed Haws, 38, a married father of three young children, Sheriff Bill Wittman wouldn't disclose hours after the shooting that occurred north of Ivanhoe on Road 156 about a quarter mile north of Avenue 344. "It's obviously a very sad day here at the Sheriff's Department," Wittman said at a press conference at the department's headquarters in Visalia.

"It appears there was some kind of suspicious person Detective Haws was checking out" about 1:30 p.m., he said. "[Haws] was in the area checking out a vehicle when he was apparently approached by an individual."

The vehicle was on the west shoulder of Road 156, bordered on both sides of the road by orange groves.

Wittman would not disclose details of the shooting, but did say that soon afterward, some passersby called sheriff's dispatchers to report that an officer was down.

Haws was taken by ambulance to Kaweah Delta Hospital in Visalia where he died at 3:20 p.m., authorities said.

He was the 11th Tulare County Sheriff's deputy to die in the line of duty and the first in more than 56 years to be shot to death.

Seven died from being hit by cars or in traffic crashes, including the last one killed in the line of duty, Deputy Kevin Elium, who died in October 2005 after he lost control of the patrol car he was driving near Porterville.

Deputy Carlo Johnson was the last deputy to die as a result of gunfire. He was shot during a gunfight with a car thief in July 1951 and died two months later. As for Monday's shooting, sheriff's officials indicated more than one shot was fired, but they wouldn't say if Haws -- who would have marked his tenth year with the Sheriff's Department next month -- fired his gun at all.

Sgt. Chris Douglass said some sheriff's cars were in the area and responded, as did officers from the California Highway Patrol and other law enforcement agencies.

She said the suspect in the case was found north of the shooting scene, but it was not clear if he was on foot or in a vehicle.

As the call went out of an officer down, numerous emergency vehicles in the area and from surrounding communities converged on the scene. At one point, about 40 cars -- mostly law enforcement officers -- were there.

A helicopter from the Fresno County Sheriff's Department also circled the groves. Douglass said that as a precaution, the flight crew was looking in case there might be other suspects or any vehicles related to the case hidden amid the rows of trees.

Initially, Douglass referred to the suspect in the killing as a "person of interest" being detained and questioned, but by late afternoon, Wittman vehemently told reporters, "He's not a person of interest. He is a suspect."

And even though he was arrested, Lt. Keith Douglass -- no relation to Chris Douglass -- said the suspect's name and age, as well as whether he is a minor or adult, would not be disclosed until he was booked into jail.

He added that he didn't know when that would happen.

Chris Douglass said several of Haws' fellow deputies were at Kaweah Delta, as were members of his family. She said Wittman went there and spoke with Haws' family.

Tulare County Supervisor Allen Ishida, who attended Wittman's press conference with fellow Supervisor Steve Worthley, said he had met Haws.

And while they were not close, "Actually, I feel like I lost a member of my personal family," Ishida said.

"There aren't enough words to express the loss we all feel and the compassion for his family," he said.

Though a detective, Haws was a member of the Sheriff's Tactical Enforcement Personnel team, the equivalent of a police department SWAT team, but he was on routine patrol duty in uniform and in a marked patrol car Monday afternoon.

Exactly what prompted him to stop and check out the car on Road 156 sheriff's officials wouldn't say, but part of the investigation involved looking at tracks in the muddy ground at the edge of an orange grove near the shooting scene.

After Haws died, some sheriff's chaplains arrived at the shooting scene to speak with deputies who may have been upset and shaken by the death.

Chris Douglass clearly was shaken, her voice cracking slightly, when she announced to reporters the Haws had died.

"It's a very tough day. He was a very strong officer — well-liked in our department," said Douglass, who went through police academy training with Haws at the College of the Sequoias in 1997.

Haws also was no stranger to dangerous situations on the job.

In February 2000, he was hospitalized after he lost control of his patrol car and it rolled over on his way to an emergency call in Strathmore to help a deputy in trouble.
    In September 2002, he was jabbed in the finger with a syringe while arresting a man reportedly under the influence of drugs in Strathmore. Haws was taken to Sierra View District Hospital as a precaution in case he contracted any blood-transferred diseases from the syringe.
    A man in a car reportedly tried to run over Haws in November 2003. Haws, who was not hit, shot the driver, who survived and later was charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

Sheriff's officials said no decision had been made on when a funeral would be held for Haws. Wittman said flags at county buildings would be flown at half-staff until the service.

Republished with permission of The Visalia Times-Delta.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Rest easy
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Rest in peace brother.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    RIP
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Ruffy is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    RIP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Shake and Bake>

Mac120 is offline Semper Fi
    RIP

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Truly Sa.

Rest In peace Brother
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    RIP

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Rip

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers for his family and department.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Thoughts and prayers for his family and department.
    Ditto
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

phoenix Guest
    So sad..Come back stronger than before,my friend..Rest when you are ready.

phoenix Guest

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    So sad..Come back stronger than before,my friend..Rest when you are ready.
    It is such a shame,for any officer to die in the line of duty.What is really messed up,is the ones who murder these officers may go to prison,but they eat three meals a day,and continue to 'thrive'on this earth,While somewhere a wife,children and family are torn apart.That is not justice.

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    I just returned from kent's funeral. It was moving. I've known 4 deputies that have lost their lives; 2 to tc and 2 to violence. I worked with him at TCSD before I left for my current dept.

I read it here just minutes before I received a phone call informing me. thanks papabear!

I rememberred all the good times we had during the 4 hr drive to visalia. staying up here tonight and visit with friends before returning to Ventura county.

Rest in peace Haws!

Searching for Evil and the Perfect donut (Love that book)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
    -Batman Begins

There are gains for all our losses
    There are balms for all our pain
    But, when youth, the dream, departs
    It takes something from our hearts
    And it never comes again

"Captain, it is I Ensign Pulver. I just threw your damn palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crap about no movie tonight?" -Ens Pulver in Mister Roberts

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United State Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Thread Information