Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Unhappy Police K9 Killed in Pursuit

CHP: Man Jumps From Bridge During Pursuit, Kills Police Dog

POSTED: 8:49 pm PST December 31, 2007
    UPDATED: 9:28 pm PST December 31, 2007

SAN DIEGO -- The California Highway Patrol said a man jumped from a bridge during a pursuit on Monday night, killing a police dog.

The CHP said the man survived the fall from the top of the Coronado Bridge. A police dog named Striker went over the side with the man.

Oceanside police called the California Highway Patrol to assist with the pursuit. The man was driving erratically in Oceanside, according to police.

The man picked up speed at College Avenue. He ran through an intersection and crashed into another vehicle during the pursuit. The driver went on Highway 76 and then on southbound Interstate 5.

The man stopped at the top of the Coronado Bridge. Police said officers let Striker go when it appeared the man was heading toward them.

The man ran toward the edge of the bridge and jumped off shortly before 7:30 p.m., police said.

Harbor police rescued the man from the water and transported him to the University of California, San Diego Medical Center.

Authorities recovered the police dog's body from the water.

The driver faces multiple charges, police said.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

suellen446 is offline Officer First Class
    webb city, missouri - that is in the extreme southwest corner of the state
    so sad, rip
    dispatcher

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    Rest in peace K9.

I cannot imagine the pain if I lost my dog, and he's a house pet, not a partner. I am guessing the bond must be deeper, I have no experience with K9.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

1*girl Guest
    Awww RIP!

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    i'm certain that i am not alone in feeling MUCH worse about the dog than if the POS suspect had died.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Rest Easy K9,
    Enjoy the retirement until your partner joins you again up above.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    Enjoy the retirement until your partner joins you again up above.
    they WILL meet again at the Bridge, that I am absolutely positive of. God takes good care of good animals.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    RIP Striker ... Your service is ended....

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That's so sad. RIP

dogbite1 is offline Jaws with Paws Enforcing Laws!!!
    RIP Striker

The saying of the K9 to his/her partner "So you may life, my life is yours"
    To all, Be safe, watch your ass, cover your 6 and not just from the bad guys, and remember to be the sheep dog and not the sheep, (They more often then not get screwed in the end)

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    RIP Striker
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Prayers to the handler and department...

Rest in Peace pup.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Public Memorial To Be Held For Slain Police Dog

POSTED: 5:56 pm PST January 8, 2008
    UPDATED: 6:08 pm PST January 8, 2008

OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- The Oceanside Police Department announced plans on Tuesday to honor a police dog killed in a fall from the Coronado Bridge following a police pursuit.

Stryker, a 6 ˝ year old Belgian Malinois, was a veteran of the force when he died New Year's Eve night. He was on duty with his handler, Kendrick Sadler, during a police pursuit from Oceanside that came to an end on the Coronado Bridge.

The man accused of leading authorities on that chase, Cory Byron, 27, of Vista, jumped from the bridge, allegedly grabbing the dog as the K9 attempted to take him down. Stryker died on impact, following the 200-foot fall. Byron survived, suffering a collapsed lung.

Oceanside police have established a fund they said will be used to support the K9 program, in Stryker's honor. Anyone wishing to contribute can simply send a check made payable to the City of Oceanside with “K9 Fund” referenced in the memo section. The donations can also be brought to the police department.

The mailing address is:
    Oceanside Police Department
    Attention: Lt. Fred Armijo
    3855 Mission Avenue
    Oceanside, CA 92054

The memorial will take place Jan. 14 at 11:30 a.m. at Camp Pendleton. The U.S. Marine Corps will allow the police department to use the 11 Area parade grounds located on Vandegrift Boulevard between 13th and 14th streets.

The ceremony is open to the public. Those attending must have a valid driver’s license as well as current registration and insurance in order to enter the base.

On Tuesday, Byron sat in a wheelchair as his defense attorney entered not guilty pleas to felony charges in connection with the case. The defendant, prosecutors and the judge packed a hospital room at UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest for the arraignment.
    Byron is charged with two felonies, reckless evading police officers and cruelty to animals, in connection with the death of Stryker. He also is charged with driving under the influence, according to prosecutors. A judge ordered Byron to be held on $1 million bail.

The judge ordered Byron's face be shielded from the media, following a request by defense attorney Anthony Solare. He voiced safety concerns for his client, stemming from the death of Stryker.
    Solare said Byron and his family want to express their sympathy for the dog's loss, but said, "We'd be asking that the community be willing to expend some sympathy to Mr. Byron as well."

Prosecutors said Byron has a previous DUI conviction and four failures to appear. They also said he was trying to commit suicide when he jumped off of the bridge.

Byron faces up to three years in prison if convicted.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

dkpd1384 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    RIP,,,,your constant vigilance will never be forgotten and will live forever in the hearts and minds of all members of the Blue Line. We will meet again one day to continue our watch,,,,,,

dcollins is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    RIP...

"A MiLLi0n WoRDs Would Not Bring You Back, I Kn0w, BecauseI've Tried. Neither Would A Million TeaRs. I Know, BeCause I've Cried"

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Rest easy K9 Striker
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information