Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Virginia Officer Killed Serving Warrant

KATIE COLLETT
    Courtesy of WAVY-TV

A Chesapeake Police officer who was shot while serving an arrest warrant has died.

He's been identified by the department as 34-year-old Jarrod Shivers.

Chesapeake Police Department

Detective Jarrod Shivers

According to a department news release, he was an eight-year veteran with the Chesapeake Police Department and had been working in the Special Investigations Section (Narcotics) for two and a half years. He is survived by his wife and three children - a 2-year-old boy, an 8-year-old girl, and a 14-year-old girl.

Flags in front of the headquarters of the Chesapeake Police Department have been lowered to half-staff.

The suspect has been identified as 28 year-old Ryan David Frederick. He resided at the 900 block of Redstart Avenue where the shooting took place. He has been charged with 1st degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and is currently being held at the Chesapeake City Jail.

Courtesy of WAVY-TV
    The suspect has been identified as 28 year-old Ryan David Frederick.

Department spokespeople are being very tight lipped about the shooting. What they've told WAVY.com so far is the officer was serving a narcotics warrant when he was shot by someone inside the home on Redstart Avenue.

"We heard what was probably just one single gun shot. We didn't think anything about it since we've only been here a couple months," says Zack Blankens who lives just houses down from where the shooting happened.

What Zack didn't know was the bullet from that gun hit a Chesapeake police officer.

"We saw one person taken away in an ambulance and a lot of police."

Investigators say the person in that ambulance was a policeman who served a narcotics warrant around 9 Thursday night. Officials say when the suspect opened the door, he shot the officer and quickly locked himself inside.

"Obviously someone barricaded is still in the house, so we just figured we'd come down here and watch. See what's going on," says Zack Christopher, a former resident.

Using a bullhorn, the victim's fellow officers demanded the suspected shooter give himself up.

"Anyone inside the house at 932 Redstart, you need to come to the front door. Do it now with your hands up," shouted the officer with the bullhorn.

The suspect gave himself up a little after 11 Thursday night.

Meanwhile, at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, police from Chesapeake, Norfolk, and Portsmouth, gathered to keep vigil over their fallen brother. A police chaplain came to the ER. Outside the hospital Chesapeake police consoled one another.

Republished with permission of WAVY-TV.

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Rest easy Detective.

"Obviously someone barricaded is still in the house, so we just figured we'd come down here and watch. See what's going on," says Zack Christopher, a former resident

Ya want us to serve some popcorn and soft drinks while you're being entertained? Idiots....
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

k2.rocky is offline Officer First Class
    What a P.O.S.! I ain't getting on a stinking bullhorn. I'm gonna round up some buddies and we're gonna go get that turd out of that house.
    "When you stop learning, you deny yourself the opportunity to grow." ~TDSA Tulsa~
    www.tdsatulsa.com

"Anyone who gets in a fair fight…..has no tactical skills"

"We're entirely surrounded, those poor bastards. They've got us right where we want 'em. We can shoot in every direction now." ~General Chesty Puller~

"I firmly believe that you live and learn, and if you don't learn from past mistakes, then you need to be drug out and shot." ~R. Lee Ermy~

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

Rest in peace

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Rest in Peace Brother.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Rest in peace.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    W.T.F., Rest in Peace.

dkpd1384 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    TOO DAMN MANY TAKEN AWAY BY P.O.S.

Rest Easy brother

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    RIP
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

mike01 is offline patrol deputy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by k2.rocky View Post
    What a P.O.S.! I ain't getting on a stinking bullhorn. I'm gonna round up some buddies and we're gonna go get that turd out of that house.
    +1
    Please do not mistake my kindness for weakness.

Thread Information