Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Portland Officer Down

Ridgefield man killed by big rig along I-5
    Monday, January 28, 2008
    BY JEFFREY MIZE, Columbian staff writer

A 40-year-old Ridgefield man who worked as a Portland police officer was killed Sunday morning when he was struck by a passing tractor-trailer rig along Interstate 5.

According to the Washington State Pat rol, Mark Zylawy was killed about 6:30 a.m. near the Clark Coun ty fairgrounds when he was struck by a truck driven by Lawrence Stieben, 55, of Milwau kie, Ore.

Zylawy apparently had mechanical troubles while driv ing southbound on the freeway. Police found his vehicle parked on the right shoulder with its hood up.

Zylawy was born in France and raised in Montana. He earned a degree in criminology from Montana State University and was hired by the Portland Police Bureau 17 years ago.

He is survived by his wife, Patti, and four children: Tara, 22, Kaitlyn, 15, Austin, 13, and Dawson, 10.

The family lived on a farm just east of Ridgefield and raised goats, chickens, cows and cats.

"I cannot think of the words to sum up Mark's life," Portland Police Chief Rosie Sizer said in a message distributed to all Portland police employees. "Mark earned the respect of everyone by his hard work, dedication and integrity.

"Mark loved being a police officer and gave more than we will ever be able to give back. Please keep his family in your thoughts."

Troy Buzalsky, a division chief for the fire department in Canby, Ore., said Zylawy was stepfather to his daughter, Kait lyn.

"I always admired Mark," he said. "Me being a firefighter, he being a police officer, not only could I relate to him in a professional role, but in a parent sharing role."

Buzalsky said he recently peeked at Kaitlyn's MySpace page and was slightly disappointed that his daughter listed Zylawy, not himself, as her hero.

"He is such a good man, there is no one more deserving than him to be listed there," Buzalsky said.

Buzalsky said he believes Zylawy was on his way to work when the accident occurred Sunday.

The right southbound lane of I-5 was closed for about three hours while the State Patrol investigated the accident.

Trooper Stephen Robley could not immediately say if fog or slick pavement contributed to the accident.

Stieben, the truck driver, was not injured.

The cause of the accident is under investigation. Anyone who witnessed the accident or has other information is asked to call Detective Jody Metz at 360-449-7944.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Rest easy
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Rest in peace Brother.
    Thought and prayers enroute.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    RIP Officer...........

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Thread Information