Biographical Info
    Tour of Duty: Not available
    Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
    Cause of Death: Gunfire
    Date of Incident: Tuesday, April 29, 2008
    Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
    Suspect Info: At large

Trooper James Burns was shot and killed following a high speed pursuit in Marion County, Texas, at approximately 8:00 pm.

A citizen used the trooper's radio to inform dispatchers that he had been shot near the intersection of Farm-to-Market roads 1969 and 729. The suspect remains at large.

Trooper Burns is survived by his wife.

Agency Contact Information
    Texas Department of Public Safety - Texas Highway Patrol
    5805 North Lamar Boulevard
    Austin, TX 78752

Phone: (512) 424-2000

Please contact the Texas Department of Public Safety - Texas Highway Patrol for funeral arrangements or for survivor benefit fund information.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    DPS trooper shot, killed in Texas

Associated Press
    Originally published 07:45 a.m., April 30, 2008
    Updated 07:45 a.m., April 30, 2008

Law enforcement officials early Wednesday morning continued a multi-county manhunt across East Texas in search of a suspect who shot and killed a Department of Public Safety trooper involved in a high-speed chase Tuesday night.

DPS spokeswoman Tela Mange said the shooting occurred just before 8 p.m. near the intersection of Farm-to-Market roads 1969 and 729 just northeast of Lake O' The Pines and west of Kellyville.

Authorities identified the trooper as James Scott Burns, who was 39 and married.

Mange said a citizen got on the trooper's radio and called in to the dispatcher that Burns had been shot. Authorities are looking for a 1997 blue Dodge Intrepid with Texas license 039-LCG.

Kellyville is about 135 miles east of Dallas.

Before Tuesday, 82 DPS troopers had died in the line of duty. The last death came on March 14, 2007, when the patrol car of Trooper Todd Dylan Holmes was struck broadside by an 18-wheeler as he attempted to cross the highway to pursue a vehicle.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    So awesome they got a plate on this bastard. I am sure they will have him in no time!

RIP
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    RIP, brother! I am so sorry.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    CRAP, R.I.P.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Rest in peace brother.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Suspect and Suspect Vehicle:

Tyler man sought in fatal shooting of DPS trooper
    Authorities looking for blue Dodge Intrepid

Associated Press

KELLYVILLE A statewide search is under way for a suspect in the overnight shooting death of a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper in East Texas.

Killed in the shooting around 8 p.m. Tuesday was Trooper James Scott Burns, 39, according to the DPS.

Authorities are searching for Brandon Wayne Robertson, 37, of Tyler, according to a DPS statement issued this morning.

DPS spokeswoman Tela Mange said the shooting happened after a chase that ended near the intersection of FM 1969 and FM 729, just west of Kellyville in Marion County, near Lake O' The Pines. Kellyville is about 135 miles east of Dallas.

A passerby saw the wounded trooper and used Burns' radio to report that he had been shot.

The DPS describes Robertson as a white man with green eyes and red hair, 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighing 250 pounds.

Authorities are looking for a 1997 blue Dodge Intrepid with Texas license 039-LCG.

Anyone with information about Robertson or the car should call 911, Mange said.

Burns is the 83rd DPS trooper to die in the line of duty. The most recent death came on March 14, 2007, when the patrol car of Trooper Todd Dylan Holmes was struck broadside by an 18-wheeler as he attempted to cross a highway to pursue a vehicle.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    RIP

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers en-route
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    RIP.

What I'd give to come across that sucker ...
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    RIP
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Detective7653 is offline Police Detective
    I heard this piece of crap is an ex cop. How fed up to you have to be going from a cop to a cop killer. Prayer are with the family of Trooper Burns
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friend. John 15:13

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Rest easy
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    ODMP now says that the suspect has committed suicide. What a coward.

My condolences to the family of the fallen officer.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/19352-tr...es-scott-burns

Trooper James Scott Burns

Texas Department of Public Safety - Texas Highway Patrol
    Texas

End of Watch: Tuesday, April 29, 2008
    Biographical Info

Tour of Duty: 5 years
    Badge Number: 11187

Incident Details
    Cause of Death: Gunfire
    Date of Incident: Tuesday, April 29, 2008
    Weapon Used: Shotgun; 20 gauge

Suspect Info: Committed suicide
    Trooper James Burns was shot and killed following a high speed pursuit in Marion County, Texas, at approximately 8:00 pm. The suspect stopped his vehicle, exited, and opened fire on Trooper Burns with a shotgun before he was even able to unlatch his seatbelt.

A citizen used the trooper's radio to inform dispatchers that the trooper had been shot near the intersection of Farm-to-Market roads 1969 and 729. The suspect fled the scene and committed suicide two days later.

Trooper Burns had served with the Texas Department of Public Safety for 5 years. He is survived by his wife and 6-month-old daughter.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

DPS Trooper Killed In East Texas, Former Police Officer Is Suspect, Commits Suicide

http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu118_1

5/1/08 - East Texas

East Texas Trooper Killed;
    Shooting Suspect Committed Suicide,
    Possible Accomplice Apprehended

Trooper Scott Burns
    Memorial Page
    by Christa Lollis

We have just learned that the suspect wanted in the shooting death of 39 year old Trooper Scott Burns committed suicide in Cass County. The Texas Department Of Public Safety in Austin says suspect Brandon Robertson was found dead of a self-inflicted gun wound off of CR 1347 near Morris Lake in Cass County.

He was discovered around 5 p.m. Thursday. An alleged accomplice, Jennifer Lynne Petrick, 36, was taken into custody at the scene. Criminal charges are pending against her. Petrick was Robertson's girlfriend. She will be booked into the Cass County Jail. Authorities had tracked Robertson through information gained from calls he made to a local 911 center, as well as through investigative tactics and many calls to a tip line that had been set up to give a $30,000 reward. Robertson killed himself as authorities closed in on his location.

Trooper Scott Burns, was killed Tuesday night after pulling over a car near Lake O' The Pines in East Texas. Authorities say Burns didn't have a chance to remove his seatbelt as he stopped his patrol car, just before getting shot multiple times with a shotgun. A witness used the trooper's radio to call for help.

Brandon Wayne Robertson was an East Texas police officer for seven years at departments in Rusk County, Overton and Kilgore. He left law enforcement in 1999. Robertson was arrested by Department of Public Safety troopers as recently as April 6, when he was charged in Cherokee County with possession of a controlled substance. He posted a $7,500 bond the next day.
    Trooper Burns' car had four bullet holes in its windshield and one on the hood.

Man wanted in death of state trooper found dead

Updated: May 1, 2008 6:23pm

The search for a suspect responsible for killing a state trooper has ended. Officials say 37-year-old Brandon Robertson was found dead with a self inflicted gun shot wound near Morris Lake in Cass County.

He was found just before 5:00 Thursday. Police have taken an alleged accomplice into custody. Investigators say Robertson killed trooper James Scott Burns Tuesday Night. </SPAN>

http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/dw....bbc1312e.html
    Suspect in trooper's death commits suicide

07:30 PM CDT on Thursday, May 1, 2008

By MARJORIE OWENS / WFAA-TV

WFAA-TV
    Brandon Wayne Robertson (left) was
    found dead Thursday. His girlfriend,
    Jennifer Lynne Petrick, was arrested
    as a possible accomplice.

http://www.kauz.com/news/local/18399624.html

Dan Garcia

Story Created: Apr 30, 2008 at 7:19 AM CDT
    Story Updated: Apr 30, 2008 at 9:44 PM CDT

Kellyville, TX (AP) - Law enforcement officials early Wednesday morning continued a multi-county manhunt across East Texas in search of a suspect who shot and killed a Department of Public Safety trooper involved in a high-speed chase Tuesday night.

Multimedia
    DPS spokeswoman Tela Mange said the shooting occurred just before 8 p.m. near the intersection of Farm-to-Market roads 1969 and 729 just northeast of Lake O' The Pines and west of Kellyville.

Authorities identified the trooper as James Scott Burns, who was 39 and married.

Mange said a citizen got on the trooper's radio and called in to the dispatcher that Burns had been shot. Authorities are looking for a 1997 blue Dodge Intrepid with Texas license 039-LCG.

Authorities searched Wednesday for a former police officer identified as a suspect. Authorities issued a statewide search for Brandon Wayne Robertson, 37, of Tyler. He had not been formally charged as of Wednesday afternoon.

Kellyville is about 135 miles east of Dallas.

Before Tuesday, 82 DPS troopers had died in the line of duty. The last death came on March 14, 2007, when the patrol car of Trooper Todd Dylan Holmes was struck broadside by an 18-wheeler as he attempted to cross the highway to pursue a vehicle.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8253178&nav=1TjD
    East Texan Eyewitness To Trooper Shooting
    4/30/08

News: East Texan Eyewitness To Trooper Shooting

Inside KLTV.comTrooper Scott Burns Memorial Page

The horrible scene of Trooper Burns' shooting was witnessed by one resident near Lake O The Pines. Just 50 yards away from the intersection of FM 1969 and FM 729, residents were alarmed by police sirens. Coming to their windows to see a horrifying sight of a suspect gunning down a state trooper. Burns pulled his patrol unit into a vacant lot driveway, but never had a chance to get out, as he was hit with a volley of shots.

"When I heard the sirens and I came to the window, I looked out and the state trooper was chasing the guy down 1969, and the guy stopped and got out of the car and shot about 4 times and got back into he car and left," says eyewitness Michael Grey.
    Grey says the most frightening part of the scene, there was no hesitation on the shooter's part.

"Kind of scared me shocking that something like that would happen around here," he says.

Within a minute, passing motorists realize what has happened.
    "Couple of people stopped up there and looked in the car and seen that he was dead and called for help," Grey says.

Longview and Gregg County law enforcement have joined in the effort to find the suspect, Brandon Robertson.

They again warn that he is considered armed and dangerous.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Threads merged.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Thanks Pudge

RIP

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    R.I.P. Trooper Burns, we have the Watch. Smoke and prayers from Kansas for the family, friends and coworkers of Trooper Burns.

James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    My deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Trooper Burns. My condolences also to the Texas Department of Public Safety. RIP Trooper Burns. Some gave all.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    R.I.P. Trooper Burns. At least the maggot did the right thing in the end.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information