Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Kern County (CA) Deputy Killed, another injured

LAMONT --

A Sheriff's deputy was killed and another one seriously injured late Friday in a collision on Weedpatch Highway and Blackburn Street.

Dep. James Throne, 29, was driving in his patrol car in pursuit of a suspect of a theft at a Lamont store when he was hit by the patrol car of Dep. David Swanson, 30.

Kern County firefighters had to use the Jaws of Life to extract both deputies from their vehicles. Dep. Throne died at Kern Medical Center, while Dep. Swanson was taken to KMC with major injuries that do not appear to be life-threatening.

"He was a star," Sheriff Donny Youngblood said of Dep. Throne, citing his outstanding personnel file.

Throne and Swanson have been with the department for two years. Both have brothers who are officeers with the Taft police department.

Throne is survived by a wife and three children.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    omg that is so tragic!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers en-route.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Damn it!!! This is the Sheriff's Dept that had the phrase "We'll kick your ass and take your donuts, too." that I posted here just a few weeks ago. This is getting up toward my neck of the woods in Central CA. All for a shoplifting incident. Damn it!!!

Be safe out there guys and my condolences to the families of the fallen and their coworkers.

http://www.officerresource.com/forum...5&postcount=10

Here is a link from the local paper there.

http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/453630.html

Deputy killed, another injured in crash

By EMILY HAGEDORN and CHRISTINE BEDELL, Californian staff writers
    e-mail: ehagedorn@bakersfield.com, cbedell@bakersfield.com | Saturday, May 24 2008 8:24 AM

Last Updated: Saturday, May 24 2008 7:57 PM
    Memorial Day weekend opened tragically when one sheriff’s deputy was killed and another critically injured after they collided responding to a call north of Lamont late Friday.

Photos:

A family photograph of 29-year-old James Throne of Bakersfield. Throne had been on the force for 2 1/2 years and once worked for the Taft Police Department, officials said at a press conference this afternoon. He and his wife, Amanda, have three children, ages 12, 10 and 7.

A Sheriff's Department handout photograph of 30-year-old Doug Swanson, who has been on the force for two years.

Photo by Casey Christie
    California Highway Patrol Officer Bright from Bakersfield continues his investigation early Saturday morning on Highway 184, north of Lamont, where two sheriff's vehicles collided late Friday night. One deputy was killed and another injured. The investigation lasted all night and the highway was reopened just before 8 a.m. Saturday. This vehicle was towed away a few minutes after this photo was taken.

Photo by Casey Christie
    California Highway Patrol officers and a Caltrans employee work the two-vehicle crash scene early Saturday morning.

Photo by Casey Christie
    California Highway Patrol Officer Jeff Lawwon, left, assigned to the Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Team surveys the two Kern County sheriff's deputy vehicles that were in a crash Friday night on the back of tow trucks Saturday morning on Highway 184, north of Lamont.

Photo by Casey Christie
    A street sweeper cleans Highway 184 Saturday morning where two Kern County sheriff's deputies collided last night north of Lamont and south of Highway 58. The highway was reopened shortly after this photo was taken. Two vehicles in the accident are on the tow trucks at right.

Killed was 29-year-old James Throne of Bakersfield, a father of three who’d been on the force for 2 1/2 years and once worked for the Taft Police Department, Sheriff Donny Youngblood said at a press conference Saturday afternoon.

Throne collided with 30-year-old Deputy Doug Swanson of Bakersfield, who has been on the force for two years, officials said. He was listed in critical condition at Kern Medical Center with a broken arm, leg and pelvis plus a cracked vertebrae, Youngblood said.

He’s expected to survive. Swanson is married with two children, a boy and a girl, neighbor Reyes Reyna said.

“It’s no different than a family member who dies unexpectedly,” Youngblood said. “It takes time.”

The patrol cars crashed at Blackburn Street and Weedpatch Highway about 11:35 p.m., officials said. Both deputies were responding to a foot chase in the area.

Throne was driving a marked patrol car westbound on Blackburn without sirens on while Swanson was driving a marked car northbound on Weedpatch with emergency lights and sirens activated, California Highway Patrol and sheriff’s officials said.

A stop sign at the intersection gives motorists on Weedpatch Highway the right of way.

The CHP said as Swanson approached the intersection, Throne pulled into it, directly into Swanson’s path.

“There’s just such an irony there,” Youngblood said of the collision. “This appeared to be a perfect storm.”

The exact cause of the crash was still under investigation, the highway patrol said. Officials didn’t know how fast the deputies were going.

The foot chase involved a suspect who’d taken something from an area store, Youngblood said. He didn’t know if the suspect was caught and called the crime unimportant in light of the tragedy.

Both Swanson and Throne have brothers in the Taft Police Department who were working Friday night, Youngblood said. Swanson also has a sister-in-law who works for the CHP and responded to the crash.

Fourteen firefighters responded to the accident, using the jaws of life and administering medical aid to both deputies, according to the Kern County Fire Department. Both deputies were taken to KMC, one by ground and the other by helicopter.

The deputies’ supervisor at the Lamont substation stood by Swanson’s friends and family at KMC Saturday afternoon.

“Your only thought while you’re trying to get there is ‘How are they?’” said Sgt. Mike Dunham. “What happened or how it happened is at least secondary.”

Dunham described the mood as one of disbelief: “It’s a universal feeling that one moment everybody is thinking about the future and the next moment it’s gone.”

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Rest easy
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    What a shame. RIP and a quick recovery.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    RIP.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Rest in peace brother.
    Thoughts and prayers enroute.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    God Bless both of these Deputies.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    The ultimate in bad luck. I hope that the surving deputy recovers fully, and I hope the other deputy rests in peace. Three kids, damn what a serious shame.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Incredibly sad
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Thread Information