Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Richmond CA

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Richmond CA

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news...nclick_check=1

Crash leaves Richmond officer in grave condition
    By Karl Fischer
    West County Times
    Article Launched: 10/04/2008 01:19:58 PM PDT

A crash on a rain-slicked Richmond road will cost the community a dedicated police officer and his children a devoted father, department officials said Saturday.

Only life support kept Brad Moody, 29, a seven-year Richmond police veteran, from expiring late Saturday after a morning crash into a light pole while on duty two blocks from police headquarters on Regatta Boulevard. It wasn't a matter of if, but when his family decides to take him off life support, said Richmond police Lt. Mark Gagan.

"What we were last told is that Brad has suffered an unsurvivable injury. He's dependent on life support. Doctors have been very clear about the prognosis," said Gagan.

"The officers are rocked by the news ... the fact that we have to come to grips with never getting to see him again."

Moody's family joined police Chief Chris Magnus, the officer's supervisor and entire patrol team, a department honor guard and many of his friends and co-workers at an area trauma center.

Moody left the station a few minutes before 8 a.m. to back up a colleague investigating a report of an assault near the corner of 18th Street and Gaynor Avenue, about two miles away.

The officer apparently lost control while heading north on Marina Way South, immediately south of the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe tracks and Interstate 580.

His patrol car spun around into the center median, smashing the passenger side of the vehicle into a light standard and

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    causing massive head injuries.

An off-duty firefighter came upon the wreck on Marina, between Meeker Avenue and Regatta, and called for help at 7:57 a.m.

"We do believe that the wet roads were a factor," said Highway Patrol Sgt. Trent Cross, whose agency leads the crash investigation.

"They can be very dangerous, not only for citizens, but for professionals as well."

A police dog in the car went to an emergency veterinarian with unspecified injuries.

Moody is married and has two young children. The Highway Patrol expects to spend weeks compiling an extensive report, Cross said, and looking for answers to many pertinent questions, such as whether the officer wore a seat belt or whether speed played a role.

"There were witnesses at the scene who observed the crash and said his speed appeared to be normal," Gagan said.

The crumpled car sat on a flatbed tow truck on Marina as officers passed on their way to work Saturday morning. Many were assigned to provide security for the Richmond Home Front Festival by the Bay.

"People don't know what we do. We have to be there for the family. We have to be there for everybody, really," said Officer Anthony Mikell, steeling himself for a full day of festival duty. "As much as we want to talk about it, share our pain, we have to be professional."

Lt. Enos Johnson learned of the wreck as he passed it. Moments later, he learned that a man he'd hired lay at the hospital.

"He stood out from the rest," said Johnson, who worked as a recruitment officer at different times in his 33-year career in Richmond. "He was such a good cop."

Moody will become Richmond's first officer killed in the line of duty since December 1992, when the suspect in a domestic violence dispute shot officers David Haynes and Leonard Garcia in south Richmond. More recently, Officer Kaliah Harper died off-duty when an ex-boyfriend shot her in front of a Fairfield memorial service in November 2006.

"We're a small department. When someone's worked here as long as Brad has, you get to know them, know their sense of humor, you get to know their family. It stops you in your tracks."

Contra Costa County's last police officer to die in the line of duty was Martinez police Sgt. Paul Starzyck, shot last month while investigating a report of domestic violence.

Staff writer John Simerman contributed to this story.Reach Karl Fischer at 510-262-2728 or kfischer@bayareanewsgroup.com.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post

"We do believe that the wet roads were a factor,"
    said Highway Patrol Sgt. Trent Cross, whose agency leads the crash investigation.

"They can be very dangerous, not only for citizens, but for professionals as well."

Watch out for the first rains of the season. The rain loosens up all the crud and residue on the roads thus making them very slick. This weekend was our first decent rainstorm here in Northern California.

A police dog in the car went to an emergency veterinarian with unspecified injuries.

Damn. I hope the dog recovers. He / She can be a great asset of comfort to the family if allowed to return.

"People don't know what we do. We have to be there for the family. We have to be there for everybody, really," said Officer Anthony Mikell, steeling himself for a full day of festival duty. "As much as we want to talk about it, share our pain, we have to be professional."

Hang in there, I'm sure the family realizes you have a job to do. Go and see them when you get off duty, they will appreciate it.

Never forget any LODD families in your dept if you have them. Especially around the holidays and Police Memorial Week. If your dept holds a Christmas Party, make sure they are invited to attend.

Lt. Enos Johnson learned of the wreck as he passed it. Moments later, he learned that a man he'd hired lay at the hospital.

Man, that really has to suck. One of the many reasons why the dept served with is like a second family.

My condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the fallen.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Very sad
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Officer "Smith" on his blog writes that the officer wasn't wearing his seat belt. He apparently works at the same agency.

http://officersmith.blogspot.com/200...y-bad-day.html

Buckle up guys, this is a tragic waste. We can't help an ambush but we can help ourselves in wrecks.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Man that sucks........my thoughts go out to his family......
    RIP
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Ofc Moody gets to live on in the lifes of others.

I just found this at Policelink and ODMP in the reflections and thought I would share. It is rare that even in death that one continues to shine such as this. God be with you Ofc Moody and your family and friends at Richmond, CA PD. Though I won't share the whole reflection that I found that I presume that was written by his wife, this does answer some thoughts that I earlier posted about the K9. Awesome even in death.

http://www.policelink.com/news/61381...organs-donated

Officer Taken Off Life Support, Organs Donated

Officer Brad Moody and K9 Rico. (Photo: RPD)

San Jose Mercury News via YellowBrix
    October 07, 2008

RICHMOND, CA — The donated organs of a Richmond officer who was critically injured in a weekend car crash saved the life of another critical patient before he was taken off life support early this morning, police said.

Brad Moody, 29, had been on life support at a regional trauma center after being declared brain-dead by doctors following the accident.

Before he died just after midnight, Moody, who was an organ donor, was able to save the life of a patient at a San Francisco hospital who was in desperate need of an organ transplant and until this morning had less than a day to live, said Richmond police Lt. Mark Gagan.

“The last thing that Brad did was save somebody’s life,” Gagan said. “It was a very fitting gesture: It was how he lived his life and as a police officer.”

Richmond police lowered the American flag to half-staff in front of their headquarters Monday to honor Moody.

Moody spun out and crashed his patrol car into a light standard on Marina Bay Parkway on Saturday morning. The California Highway Patrol continues to investigate the crash.

Anyone wishing to donate to The Memorial Fund for Officer Brad Moody can bring checks to any Mechanics Bank branch or mail them to Mechanics Bank, 3170 Hilltop Mall Road, Richmond, CA 94806

http://www.odmp.org/reflections.php?oid=19592

Brad was an honorable man and he died doing what he loved. As much as that doesn’t make any sense to me now because I lost him, I one day will understand. He saved lives every day in his job and I have decided to donate his organs so that he can continue to save lives. I have one last chance to say goodbye before they operate which will be late Monday or Early Tuesday. Please keep your thoughts and prayers with me and my daughters for the next couple of days.

Brad’s canine partner Rico survived the crash with just a small scratch on his nose. Instead of giving him to another handler, the Richmond Police Department has been kind enough to let me keep him. Even after the crash Rico tried to protect his Daddy and was with him during his last moments of life. That is why I am so grateful that I will get to keep him this way I will always have a part of Brad and his work, which he loved so much.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A nice memorial page for him:

http://bradley-moody.last-memories.com/
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Rest in Peace Officer Brad Moody, Condolences to his family and friends.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Rest in Peace My Brother

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information