Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO

Need some information please

I'm putting together my PDs next training day and need some information. We are a small dept, 5 full time and 5 reserves. There's a lot of complacancy with some of the officers, the "It won't happen here" stuff. I'd like some Officer Down news from small, sleepy little towns to use as an eye opener. Thanks everyone.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Sorry but I can't remember where the small town was, (maybe Alabama) but several years ago an officer took his firearm into a booking area with a prisoner. The prisoner got the weapon and killed or wounded everybody in the station. Maybe this will ring a bell with someone with more info on it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Found a story on it.

6/7/2003 11:34:30 PM
    Daily Journal
    FAYETTE, Ala. - An 18-year-old suspect being booked at a small town police station grabbed an officer's gun and opened fire early Saturday, killing two officers and a dispatcher before fleeing in a police car, authorities said.

The dark blue Crown Victoria police cruiser was spotted about 3 1/2 hours later, just across the state line in Mississippi, and the driver was arrested, said Lowndes County, Miss., Sheriff's Deputy Tony Mulligan.

Mississippi authorities in jail records identified the driver as Devan Darnel Moore of Jasper, a town about 30 miles northeast of Fayette, where he's known as Devon Moore.

Moore's father, Kenneth Moore, told The Associated Press that the boy's mother told him their son was involved in selling drugs.

The two police officers and dispatcher were shot to death inside the Fayette police station, near the town's City Hall, at about 5:30 a.m., said coroner Richard Nelson. Moore was arrested at 9 a.m. about 12 miles west of the Alabama border.

At the time of the shooting, the suspect was being booked in connection with a stolen vehicle, said Fayette City Councilman David Brand.

Mayor Ray Nelson said the suspect had been handcuffed after being stopped about 3 a.m., but the handcuffs could have been removed during fingerprinting. "There was a struggle," Nelson said. He said an officer's weapon was taken by the suspect. Nelson said the department had 14 officers before the shooting.

"This is a tragedy for our community. I'm in a state of shock," Nelson said. "There's not a better place to live than Fayette, Alabama. It's just a sad day."

Fayette City Councilman Cedric Wilson identified the dead as Cpl. James Crump, Officer Arnold Strickland and dispatcher Ace Mealer.

He said he was familiar with the suspect and knew his father, Kenny Moore, very well. He said he did not know if the suspect had been in trouble before or what motivated him to do the shooting.

"That kind of boggles all of us, what would make him do such a thing," Wilson said.

He said the dead officers and dispatcher were alone in the police station at the time and that a firefighter, whose department is next door, found the bodies and called for help.

The suspect is believed to have fled through an open door on the south side of the building, Wilson said.

Moore's 48-year-old father told The AP in a telephone interview that his son was a troubled child who stole cars and harassed people at school. He said didn't know if his son sold drugs, but had been told that by the teen's mother.

"I kept telling people about it, going to the church and telling people he was a troubled child, but people didn't pay me no mind," Kenneth Moore said. "I raised him from a baby, but people don't listen."

He said he thought his son had finally turned things around when he graduated from high school two weeks ago and announced that he intended to join the Air Force on Tuesday.

"I'm a discipline parent and everybody around town knows I'm a good parent," Moore said. "One parent can't do it all by himself, not when you got a mother telling him he's just a baby."

Moore said he sent his son to live with his mother two years ago because he couldn't control him. He said his son would often steal his car.

"The people here that I've been talking to I told he needs help," Moore said.

Moore said that last year his mother found a gun in the house belonging to her son. It's unclear if the gun was ever turned over to the police, though Mr. Moore said it was his understanding that it wasn't turned over.

Doris Brasher, who owns a grocery store on Highway 96 within a couple miles of the station, heard about the shootings on her police scanner when she went into work shortly before dawn.

"I was just upset about the policemen because Mr. Strickland one of the officers who was killed came by regularly and stopped in by the store and made sure I was okay," Brasher said. "He was a very nice man."

She added that many in the close-knit town knew the three men and regarded them fondly.

Fayette, a town of about 5,000 residents, is about 50 miles west of Birmingham in a mostly rural, forested area near Alabama's coal mines
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    I knew all 3 of those guys personally; it can go to crap in an instant no matter what the size of the town...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPO710 View Post
    I'm putting together my PDs next training day and need some information. We are a small dept, 5 full time and 5 reserves. There's a lot of complacancy with some of the officers, the "It won't happen here" stuff. I'd like some Officer Down news from small, sleepy little towns to use as an eye opener. Thanks everyone.
    I thought we Game Wardens had the market cornered on complacency. You could use that dash video from Justin Hurst. I am sure you know the story but he tried to stop some guy for road hunting, easy misdemeanor ticket, nothing gonna happen here. Huge pursuit ensues, guy stops hops out shoots pistol at the Officers. Officers return fire with handguns BG reaches back into his truck and pulls out a semi or full auto, I think SKS or M14 and that is when Justin Hurst lost his life. EOW 3/17/07.

My Agency used this video to show certain Officers the importance of not piling all your patrol shit on top of your rifle. When you need your rifle you probably need it right now.
    Un-ass my AO!!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Advocate - Baton Rouge, La.
    Date: Feb 20, 1997 Start Page:3.B.4.BSection:NEWS
    PLAQUEMINE - Organizers plan an eight-hour benefit dance and concert March 16 at the Civic Center to raise money for the families of two Plaquemine police officers wounded in the line of duty Feb. 12.
    Rookie officer Kenneth Lee Paul II, 20, remained in critical condition with a head wound Wednesday in Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center's critical care unit.

Author:CHRIS FRINKDate:Feb 15, 1997Start Page:1.aSection:NEWS
    PLAQUEMINE - The rookie city police officer critically wounded Wednesday when he and his supervisor were shot in a street confrontation lacked any formal police training during his seven weeks on the force except for on-the-job instruction in the radio room and completion of a firearms course.
    Under department policy, Officer Kenneth Paul Jr., 20, was not scheduled to attend a training academy at LSU until he finished six months on the job. Paul, the son of a career police officer, joined the Plaquemine police force the day after Christmas.
    The search for McDarin Kitts, 25, the man accused of shooting Sgt. Brad Spillman, 25, and Paul, 20, proceeded Friday. City officers and Iberville Parish deputies, with help from more than a dozen surrounding law enforcement agencies, scoured the region and chased down every tip

Author:CHRIS FRINKDate:Feb 13, 1997Start Page:1.aSection:NEWS
    Seven weeks after joining the Plaquemine Police Department, and three weeks after becoming a father for the first time, Officer Kenneth Paul Jr., 20, was shot in the line of duty and lay in an intensive care unit with a bullet in his brain.
    Sgt. Kenneth Paul Sr., the father of the wounded officer and himself a police officer for 25 years, said Wednesday he had reservations about his son starting so young as a Plaquemine police officer, but did not try to stop him.
    Less than seven weeks after he joined the Plaquemine force, Kenneth Jr. lay in a Baton Rouge intensive care ward with a bullet in his brain, hooked up to life-support machine with a slim hope of survival but surrounded by family, hope and prayers.

Hope it helps. The fact that the article mentions lack of formal training should impose on your folks just how important the training is.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Look up Deputy Bruce Williams in ODMP. He was working a rural county and answered a call for a domestic in a small town. He was killed when the subject on a balcony outside of the apartment opened fire on him with an AK47. I was working in a neighboring jurisdiction. When we went to the board and cited this incident to try to get rifles in our squads, we were told, "That will probably never happen again around here."
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I think anything traffic stop related would work, because you're usually alone on a stop and there is no "routine" stop. You never know what's in the car. If you have any county or state roads going through town your fellow officers are likely to encounter people who aren't local and they aren't familiar with. There are a number of videos of traffic stops for minor violations turning into shootouts.

This incident occured in a very rural area of upstate New York where Troopers and Deputies patrol (there are no local PD's). A female Trooper with ~5 years on, and just back from maternity leave, responded to a domestic dispute where she was shot with a muzzle loading rifle. My understanding is that she took cover, the perp later exited the house and ran towards the backup officers - she shot once, killing him. The perp had a long criminal history and was a registered sex offender. Thankfully, this was not a LODD..

North Country Gazette NYS Trooper Wounded, Kills Sex Offender

NYS Trooper Wounded, Kills Sex Offender
    Posted on Tuesday, 19 of June , 2007 at 11:55 am

POTSDAM—New York State Trooper Amanda Reif, just returned to duty from a maternity leave, is in serious condition at the Fletcher Allen Medical Center in Burlington, Vt. after being shot Monday while responding to a domestic dispute on Route 56 in Potsdam, St. Lawrence County.

Reif, 29, a nearly five-year veteran of the State Police, was shot in the shoulder by suspect Steven McCumber, 45, as she exited her patrol car. She was able to return fire, killing McCumber.

Reif is stationed at the SP barracks in Canton, Troop B.

According to state police officials, Reif was shot while investigating a domestic dispute at McCumber’s home and was first on the scene. As soon as she arrived, McCumber allegedly shot her, ran back into the house and then back out into the driveway where police say he aggressively charged at other officers. Reif fired one shot, killing him. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said that McCumber was a registered level 3 sex offender with recent convictions of attempted sexual abuse for incidents involving girls ages 10 and 12 and one for rape involving a 13-year old girl in the late 80s.

The State Troopers PBA issued a statement Tuesday, saying that Reif’s injuries are not life-threatening.

This the eighth shooting of a state trooper in the last 16 months, three of which have been fatal—Trooper David Brinkerhoff, Trooper Andrew Speer and Joseph Longobardo.

Since March 2006, the New York State Troopers have suffered the loss of six Troopers in the line of duty, including four who were killed by gunfire. Additionally, five Troopers were shot and wounded during this time period. 6-19-07
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    We just had a deputy shot recently in the far NW corner of the state, certainly "out in the middle of nowhere". We had 5 school kids and 4 adults slaughtered in Red Lake, MN (another very small town) a few years back. In the Red Lake incident, the 16 year old gunman stole his grandfather's two DEPARTMENT ISSUED firearms and his squad car after killing him and his grandfather's girlfriend.

CaringBridge. Free Websites That Support And Connect Loved Ones During Critical Illness.

Red Lake High School massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Thread Information