Welcome to the APBWeb.
    phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

9/11 claims another NYPD officer

Cop who worked at Ground Zero dies of brain tumor

October 11, 2009 By ZACHARY R. DOWDY zachary.dowdy@newsday.com
    Photo credit: Ana P. Gutierrez | A photo of Robert Grossman on August 12, 2009. Grossman passed away Friday.

October 11, 2009 By ZACHARY R. DOWDY zachary.dowdy@newsday.com
    A photo of Robert Grossman

Photo credit: Ana P. Gutierrez | A photo of Robert Grossman on August 12, 2009. Grossman passed away Friday.

Everybody knew when New York Police Department Officer Robert Grossman of Rocky Point reported to work - and not because they couldn't miss the hulking man that he was.

His gregarious personality loomed large over the 28th Precinct in Harlem, where he worked since graduating from the Police Academy in 1994. He was always the jokester, making battle-tested cops laugh as he walked into the building and lifting their hearts a little as they went about crime-fighting in the big city.

No one was surprised to find the Port Jefferson Station native among the hundreds of officers, firefighters and volunteers who rushed to Ground Zero on Sept. 11, 2001, to save lives - even though it was his day off.

But it was that very sacrifice that may have killed him eight years after two planes crashed into the World Trade Center. Grossman developed a brain tumor that his family and his physician said he got from reporting to the contaminated site for weeks on end and inhaling the toxic fumes.

He died on Friday at a Port Jefferson hospice. He was 41.

Although many first responders and their relatives said they were sickened after working at or near Ground Zero, New York City officials have stopped short of acknowledging that the air quality in lower Manhattan after 9/11 was unsafe.

Grossman, who worked only at the Harlem precinct where he landed after trying his hand at teaching in a Brooklyn high school, split his time between the city and his home.

"He worked in Harlem at the 28th and yet he had a place out here in Rocky Point," said Morton Epstein, his stepfather. "He loved them and he loved working there and his home. He liked the openness here in Suffolk County."

Grossman graduated from Comsewogue High school, and enrolled at Stony Brook University, where he earned a bachelor's degree in liberal arts and a master's degree in education, specializing in social studies.
    He took those academic skills to Sarah J. Hale High School in Brooklyn, where he taught for three years before becoming a police recruit.

In 1995, he got married. He and his wife, Carla, have a 6-year-old son, Noah.

In April 2006, Grossman noticed numbness on his face as he was shaving one morning, the first sign of the onset of the cancer that he would battle for several more years, Epstein said.

Besides his wife, son and stepfather, Grossman is survived by his mother, Harriet Epstein; his father, Stephen Grossman of Bohemia; his stepmother, Shelly Grossman of Bohemia; four sisters, Joanne Epstein of Douglaston, Judith Pepper of West Palm Beach, Fla., Suzanne Sokolov of Auburndale and Teri Barbee of Silver Spring, Md.; and three brothers, Mitchell Epstein of Kings Plaza, Brooklyn, Jeff Feuer of Port Jefferson Station and Andy Feuer of Levittown.

Funeral services are scheduled for Monday at 10:30 a.m. at Temple Beth Sholom in Smithtown. Burial will follow at Washington Memorial Park in Mount Sinai.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Very sad.

I have a dear friend in NYPD who still suffers respiratory problems from that day.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    RIP brother.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    RIP brother, we will continue the fight.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    RIP

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    RIP
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of the fallen.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Fading Light

Falling Night

Trumpet Call , As The Sun, Sinks In Fright

Sleep In Peace, Comrade Dear

God Is Near

Rest in peace , Ofc. Grossman. Prayers for family , friends and colleagues.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    His dad made a call to Mike Dimone during the show on 9/11/09, heartfelt call, heartfelt show. It had been a long hard road for Bobby and his family and friends, my deepest condolences. Rest in Peace, your suffering is over.

Deaths of 9/11 front-liners renew talk of aid bill

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 4:00 AM

The deaths of three 9/11 first responders in the past week is enough proof for Mayor Bloomberg that people are getting sick from working at Ground Zero.

"Probably - nobody's sure - but probably contracted during breathing the air down at the World Trade Center site," the mayor said yesterday after the Daily News reported that two cops and a firefighter recently died of cancer.

NYPD Officer Robert Grossman died of cancer Friday at the age of 44. The next day, Firefighter Richard Mannetta, 44, died of cancer. And last Wednesday, 37-year-old Police Officer Cory Diaz also died of cancer. Firefighter John McNamara, 44, died of cancer last month.

Doctors haven't officially linked the illnesses of dozens of first responders to the toxins at the World Trade Center site, but Bloomberg said the federal government needs to help pay for their medical care.

The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act - named after an NYPD detective who died of post-9/11 ailments - would provide $10 billion, but has been sitting in Congress for years.

Bloomberg said time is running out.

"I think that it's just another reminder that we've just got to get Congress to pass the [bill] that would give us the money," he said.

Deaths of 9/11 front-liners renew talk of aid bill

9/11 Police Aid Foundation | The Finest Helping the Finest
    FealGood Foundation

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    RIP
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Thread Information