Welcome to the APBWeb.
    moggsp98 is offline Press HARD, 5 copies
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Philly Officer dumps Bad Guy!

Good Job! Glad she is going to be alright.

Pa. cop fought for her life before shooting suspectPolice say robbery suspect assaulted officer before she fired her weapon

Officer Janine Triolo

PITTSBURGH — Pittsburgh police Officer Janine Triolo was in a fight for her life.
    She had one handcuff on Ryan Davis, 20, of Lawrenceville, the suspect in an armed robbery on Denniston Street in Shadyside, when Davis began to resist at about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, officers told the Tribune-Review. Davis beat the officer's face and shoved a Ruger double-action pistol into her armpit and pulled the trigger.
    The gun jammed.
    When Davis reached for Triolo's gun, the officer unholstered it first and fired. Davis, who was 6 feet, 1 inch tall and weighed about 200 pounds, died at the scene of a gunshot wound in the chest, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office said.
    The fight left Triolo, 28, who stands about 5 feet 3 inches tall, with a broken eye socket, fractured nose and left hand, as well as a concussion and a detached retina, officers said.
    "She was literally fighting for her life. The suspect had already robbed someone, and we believe he was willing to kill her if it meant he would get away," said Officer Dan O'Hara, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Fort Pitt Lodge No. 1.
    "She stood her ground and did her job. She is a hero."
    Triolo, who remains at an undisclosed hospital, is on paid leave while authorities investigate the incident, which is normal in police-involved shootings. The Allegheny County District Attorney's office will oversee the investigation.
    Police said they found Davis' gun at the scene. City homicide detectives questioned the unnamed robbery victim, who was not injured and did not witness the shooting.
    Triolo, a three-year veteran, works out of the Zone 4 station in Squirrel Hill. Officers described her as "soft-spoken, quiet and extremely nice."
    She graduated in the same police training academy class as the late Officer Paul J. Sciullo II, who was killed along with two other officers April 4 while responding to a domestic disturbance in Stanton Heights.
    Officers from Zone 5 were initially dispatched to the robbery. Triolo spotted Davis after dispatchers said the suspect ran toward Schenley High School.
    "This call wasn't even in her patrol zone, but she went anyway," O'Hara said. "She could have waited for the other officers, but she didn't. She was brave."
    Triolo is the first female officer in Pittsburgh to fatally shoot someone while on duty, said police spokeswoman Diane Richard.
    Every year, 60,000 law enforcement officers are assaulted on the job, resulting in about 16,000 injuries, said Craig Floyd, chairman of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. Floyd didn't have statistics on how many of those assaults and injuries involve female officers compared with males. There have been 18,661 male officers killed in the line of duty since 1792, and 237 women have been killed on the job since 1916.
    "Women are just as likely as their male counterparts to be assaulted, injured or killed," Floyd said. "They are taking the same risks."
    Police were involved in eight shootings in the city last year, including four incidents in which officers fatally shot someone, Richard said.
    Six local law enforcement officers have been fatally shot in the past 15 months.
    Any day above ground is a fine day indeed!

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIGEON, SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Glad I'm not reading about another line of duty death. Good job, Ofc. Triolo. Prayers for a full and speedy recovery.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Thoughts and prayers en route for a full and speedy recovery.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Wow, even taking a beating like that she managed to put the perp where he belonged, 6 feet under. Great Job and Thank goodness! Well Wishes Officer Triola, for a Full and Speedy Recovery

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Hope she recovers quickly.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    She did good. I hope she heals fully.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Glad I'm not reading about another line of duty death. Good job, Ofc. Triolo. Prayers for a full and speedy recovery.
    That's what I was thinking too.

Prayers for a complete recovery.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Excellent news.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    We had an officer that suffered very similar injuries and had to retire. I hope the department does right by her and keeps her on. We had another brand new officer that shot in face when his FTO coach was killed and is now blind in one eye. The department kept him on and he currently handles all the CALEA stuff.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Outstanding Officer Triolo. May your recovery be full and speedy.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Prayers for her recovery. She did it right.

She looks just like a female friend of mine at a Sheriff's Office who just left the jail and is now kicking ass on the road, three months out of TO. Gives me the heebie jeebies.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    Praise be to her. go home at the end of shift..or to the hospital to survive. Send the A**hat to the dirt.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    In the warrior's code, there's no surrender Though his body says stop, his spirit cries never... - Survivor, "Burning Heart"
    Well done, Officer Triolo. Evil received justice, and your reward is our most precious gift, life.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information