Welcome to the APBWeb.
    phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

Cancer takes young officer

Cancer takes young officer

BY JOSH SHAFFER - Staff Writer
    Tags: local | news | wake
    RALEIGH -- For his funeral Saturday, 8-year-old William Bunn will wear a freshly pressed police uniform, complete with tie, hat and shoes shined like mirrors.
    It was, after all, the suit he proudly wore last month, the day Raleigh police made him an honorary officer and granted the wish he'd had since age 5.
    William died of cancer early Thursday morning, ending a three-year ordeal that took him through nine surgeries, two blood-cell implants and 13 rounds of chemotherapy.

"He fought a long battle," said his aunt, Mimi Hardin. "He couldn't hold on anymore."
    On June 11, William marched to the stage at North Haven Church and saluted Raleigh Police Chief Harry Dolan with an arm just long enough to poke out of his sleeve, walking on his ownonly a few days removed from radiation treatments in Philadelphia.
    More than 150 people cheered when his mother, Amy, pinned a gold badgeover his heart and Dolan told him, "Raleigh police officers exhibit bravery every day. Without a doubt, William, the courage you have demonstrated exceeds our expectations."
    As William enjoyed his first doughnut as an officer, a dozen reporters crowded around to hear him announce, "I really liked it. It's all the handcuffs and how they check out the jail and stuff."
    On Monday, Hardin updated William's online journal with news that the Bunns had learned that further treatment would be futile. He died at 4:22 a.m. Thursday, parents Mark and Amy at his side.
    "The illness can no longer constrain our angel William," wrote Hardin. "He has spread his wings, taken flight and will be free of pain and suffering for all eternity."
    William would have been the grand marshal of the Independence Day parade in Lake Royale, a Franklin County community where he and his family spent many weekends, said police Chief Jarrett Umstead. Parade organizers will do something to remember William in the parade, Umstead said.
    A viewing will be held from 6 to 9 tonight at New Hope Baptist Church on Louisburg Road in Raleigh. A funeral will follow Saturday. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made in William's honor to the Jimmy V Foundation at www.jimmyv.org or the University Cancer Research Foundation at UNC-Chapel Hill at http:// ucrf.unc.edu .

josh.shaffer@newsobserver.com or 919-829-4818

While not a cop like us, I felt this was the most appropriate place for this post. Its always sad when a kid dies.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    R.I.P., Little William.......Great job Raleigh Police
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    As a fellow Cancer Survivor myself, I salute this brave young man.

Cancer is no respecter of persons, it can strike anybody. It always gets to me when the sufferer is of such a young age. William fought a valiant fight. I have no doubt that with the right amount of training throughout his life, had he survived this, he would have made a fine LEO.

Great Job, Raleigh PD.

video link here

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Prayers and positive thoughts for family and friends

Be strong and celebrate life

incustody1015 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Rest in Peace Young Hero.
    INCUSTODY1015

"You know what makes me sad.... YOU DO!!! MAYBE WE SHOULD CHUG ON OVER TO MAMBE PAMBE LAND WHERE MAYBE WE COULD FIND SOME SELF-CONFIDENCE FOR YOU, YOU JACK WAGON" R. Lee Ermy (geico commercial)

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Rest in peace, Ofc. Bunn.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That.

That, if asked again on this web site by anyone, is what we are here for and what we do.

We slay monsters and let little boys and girls have their dreams.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    That.

That, if asked again on this web site by anyone, is what we are here for and what we do.

I'm stealing that.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    That.

I also will be stealing this phrase, most awesome it is..........;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    That is so incredible! For a moment, little William was the happiest guy in North Carolina! How fantastic was that!!!

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Fascinating story, tearful but fascinating. Little Officer Bunn was a true trooper in his short life, may he rest in peace

And special thanks to Raleigh PD

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Thread Information