Welcome to the APBWeb.
    moggsp98 is offline Press HARD, 5 copies
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Tragic Loss for Washington State Patrol

Three State Patrol employees killed in Zillah house fire

Rob Kauder | Internet Content Manager, KXLY.com
    Posted: 11:40 am PDT August 16, 2010Updated: 1:06 am PDT August 17, 2010

SPOKANE -- Three members of the Washington State Patrol are believed to have died in an early morning house fire in Zillah.

The State Patrol confirmed that Troopers Gary Miller and Kristopher Sperry and dispatcher Anne Miller-Hewitt died in the fire. Gary Miller and Anne Miller-Hewitt were married and owned the residence while Sperry, a recent academy graduate, was living with the Millers.

"Anne and Gary were long-time employees, and were the best of the best," State Patrol Chief John R. Batiste said in a statement Monday morning. "We were just getting to know Kristopher, but he had excelled at the Academy and had a very promising future with our agency."

The fire was first reported by Anne Miller-Hewitt at 1:38 a.m. She called 911 from inside the home to report there was a fire. The line went dead during the conversation.

Miller, 55, was a 20-year veteran of the Patrol and has been working with the Sunnyside detachment since he was hired. His wife Anne was a Communications Officer Four and was the leader of the State Patrol's 911 center in Wenatchee, where she supervised 15 dispatchers. She has been with the State Patrol since 1989.

Sperry, 30, was hired by the State Patrol in 2008 and just graduated from the academy in June, where he received a fitness award for being the most physically fit trainee in his class. Originally from Eureka, Montana Sperry was living with the Millers while his own home was being built.

"I am deeply saddened about the deaths of three Washington State Patrol employees - and send my heartfelt condolences to the friends, families and co-workers of those tragically killed," Governor Christine Gregoire said in a written statement Monday.

"These individuals dedicated their lives to protecting our neighbors and communities, and should forever be remembered for their commitment to ensuring our safety. I'm sure all Washingtonians share my profound gratitude for their service."

Late Monday night, investigators had recovered all three victims from the charred home.

The fire is being investigated by local fire officials, the Yakima County Sheriff's Office and the ATF. They are being assisted by the State Patrol's Crime Scene Response Team.

The State Patrol has never lost three employees in a single event either on or off-duty.

Three State Patrol employees killed in Zillah house fire - News Story - KXLY Spokane

R.I.P. Brothers and Sister.
    Any day above ground is a fine day indeed!

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIGEON, SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    RIP - I hope ya'll slept through the whole thing
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Rest in peace.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Rest in peace.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    how sad
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    That is sad Wonder what happened..how it started
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    So sorry to hear, my Condolences, May they Rest in Peace

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

moggsp98 is offline Press HARD, 5 copies
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    There was also a retired WSP trooper that was killed in a farming accident the day before this happened.

ATF is investigating the fire because they thought it suspicious that it burned so fast and no one was able to get out.

I will post more when it is anounced.
    Any day above ground is a fine day indeed!

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIGEON, SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Very sad.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Rest easy.

I too hope you all slept through the whole thing

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Rest easy.

I too hope you all slept through the whole thing

One or all were awake. 911 was called by one of them, they were advised to exit the house.

I have known Gary Miller 30 years.

----------------------------------------------------------------

WSP Funeral notice follows:

Date: Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    Subject: DAILY BULLETIN - SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

DAILY BULLETIN SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

August 20, 2010

A community memorial service honoring the lives of Washington State Patrol Trooper Gary Miller, Communications Officer 4 Anne Miller-Hewitt, and Trooper Kristopher Sperry will be held at 1 p.m. on Friday, August 27, 2010, at the Yakima Sundome, 1301 S. Fair Avenue, Yakima, Washington 98901.

A procession will take place prior to the service and specific details related to the procession will be forthcoming.

The general public is invited, as are department employees. ....(policy manual & uniform info deleted by me)

In addition, a memorial fund has been established. For those wishing to make a donation, please contact the Washington State Patrol Memorial Foundation at PO Box 7554, Olympia, WA 98507, or www.wspmf.org.

Chief John R. Batiste

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Thread Information