Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Officer Down Memorial Page

This is a fascinating story about the start of the Officer Down Memorial Page.

For those who have never heard of it, ODMP posts the basic information about officers killed in the line of duty. Not only does it memorialize modern officers, it maintains a vast archive of officers lost in the past too. This website is an invaluable resource, and an incredible memorial, please read this and seriously consider the request for donations.

I was more diplomatic on the front page but here's the deal. There isn't a cop in this country who can't give at least a couple bucks to help maintain this website. It might be any of us who will be on it in the morning, with grieving family members comforted by a memorial on the Internet.

I'd love to see a strong showing from OR! Donate HERE

OR Front Page post: Happy Birthday ODMP! | Police Forums, News & Articles

Original blog post: The ODMP Blog: Happy 15th Birthday ODMP!

ODMP: The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc. (ODMP)

Happy 15th Birthday ODMP!

A few things happened in late '95 and early '96 that culminated in the creation of the ODMP in January of 1996. I was a freshman at James Madison University, biding my time until I turned 21 so I could return home to Fairfax City, Virginia, and fulfill my dream of becoming a police officer there. I had been an Explorer for the previous four years. My Explorer advisors - then-Sergeant Scott Dulaney and the late Officer Bill Thomas - urged me to go to college and get a job that paid more. I begrudgingly followed their advice and can't thank them enough for it because it allowed me to create the ODMP.

While I was at home for the Christmas break that year I heard about the release of Terrence Johnson, a man who murdered two Prince George's County, Maryland, police officers in cold blood in 1978. The media's portrayal and glorification of this man sickened me to the core. Just a few days later, on January 2, 1996, Police Officer Lauretha Vaird became the the nation's first line of duty death of the year when she was gunned down while responding to a bank robbery in Philadelphia. In true media fashion, the Washington, DC, news gave her murder hardly a mention.

The Internet was in its infancy and I didn't know how to do much, but I sat down at a computer with thoughts of injustice swirling in my mind. How could the media glorify a double cop killer while barely even mentioning the life and death of a true heroine who was taken from us too early? That night I started typing out the first few lines of code that became the ODMP. A few days later four officers who had already been slain in the line of duty were already added to the site.

One of these officers was Patrolman Bryant Peney, who was shot and killed on January 6, 1996. Within days of publishing Patrolman Peney's name his twin brother (who served on the same department) found the meager website and emailed me, thanking me for remembering his brother.

You see, up until receiving that email from Todd Peney this was just a website. I had never known any officers who had been killed in the line of duty and I didn't understand the impact the simple act of posting a name on a website would have on a fallen officer's friends and family. On that day the little website I created in my freshman-year dorm room became a bona fide memorial.

Fast forward to today. Between January 1, 2010, and December 31, 2010, the ODMP received 2.8 million visitors, making it one of the most visited law enforcement websites ever!

After 15 years of running the ODMP as an all-volunteer organization, I am honored to announce that the organization received a federal grant that has allowed us to hire staff and continue our work in honoring America's fallen heroes. We now have two full time employees and have moved into new office space in Fairfax, Virginia, as we embark on a mission for a new and improved ODMP in 2011.

However, we still need your support. I'm personally asking all regular visitors of the ODMP to recognize our 15 years of service by making a $15 donation today so that we can ensure we are always able to continue providing memorials and details on line of duty deaths as they happen.

Be safe and God bless!

Chris Cosgriff
    Executive Director

PS- For those of you in the DC-metro area please feel free to visit the ODMP office during normal business hours. We're located at 3950 Chain Bridge Road, Suite 12, Fairfax, VA, 22030.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I put my money where my mouth is. It would be awesome if all our regular users here did something similar and let ODMP know where you came from. There's a reason this place is the best damn cop site on the Internet, let's prove it!

Donate HERE

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Done.

Sounds like we have a new destination to visit this year in DC!

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Done.

Sounds like we have a new destination to visit this year in DC!
    It's doable... but it's in the middle of downtown Fairfax City, which is a fair piece outside of DC, and a good distance away from the Metro. (Though I'm probably going to stop by when I have court in a week or so...) That said -- there is a very good wing place nearby, and it's right around the corner from a Hard Times.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Donated.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Done. There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    83 views and 3 posts besides mine. 2 civilians and 2 cops donated. That's the best OR can do?

Yeah I'm gonna be a pain in the ass.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Done.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information