Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Unhappy Chesterfield County Officer Killed

Officer killed, second seriously injured, civilian killed in domestic dispute overnight

One officer is killed, another seriously injured, and one civilian is killed when Chesterfield County Police reported to a domestic dispute overnight in Ettrick.

At about 1:19 a.m. police got a domestic call. Two officers reported to a home on Totty Street near Chesterfield Avenue, southeast of Virginia State University in Ettrick.

When the two officers went into the home, William M. Anderson, 34, allegedly pulled out a gun and immediately shot one officer, police say, killing him. The second officer pulled out his gun and shot Anderson, who also shot that officer.

The first officer died. The second officer was seriously injured and was med-flighted to MCV where he is in stable condition, police say.
    Anderson also died.

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    May the officer rest in peace and may the other officer have a speedy recovery.
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Heard from ChesCopsPoD

Not the phone call I want to wake up to at 0300. I spent the rest of the night at MCV. The other officer is fine. Took 2 in the vest, one in the leg and one in the wrist. He won't spend too long in the hospital.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    More info -

Chesterfield Officer killed, second injured, civilian killed in gunfight overnight
    From NBC12 News
    One officer is killed, another seriously injured, and one civilian is killed when Chesterfield County Police responded to a domestic dispute overnight in Ettrick.

The officer shot has been identified as Officer Gary J. Buro, 34. The officer who was wounded has been identified as Officer Joseph G. Diman, 26, he remains in stable condition at VCU Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

At about 1:19 a.m. police got a domestic call. Two officers reported to a home on Totty Street near Chesterfield Avenue, southeast of Virginia State University in Ettrick.

When the two officers went into the home, William M. Anderson, 34, allegedly pulled out a gun and immediately shot Officer Buro, police say, killing him. Chesterfield Police Department Lt. Col. Andy Scruggs says, “When they confronted him, he immediately pulled a weapon and shot one of the officers."

Then, the second officer, Officer Diman, got into a shootout with the suspect. Officer Diman was also shot but, still managed to fire back and handcuff the suspect. When backup arrived at the scene, both Officer Buro and the suspect, Anderson, had died.

Officer Diman was seriously injured and was med-flighted to MCV where he is in stable condition, police say.

Chesterfield authorities say both peer and professional counselors are now in place to help the department deal with the loss of Officer Buro.

Officer Buro was a new recruit to Chesterfield County. Officer Buro was a native to New York City with 11 years in law enforcement. He began his career with the Chesterfield Police Department only on Jan. 17, as a member of the 14th Pre-certified Police Academy.

Officer Buro previously served with the New York City Police Department for six years and prior to that, he was with the Lantana Police Department in Florida for five years. He also served with the US Marine Corps as a military police officer for four years.

Buro is survived by his mother, Agnes Thalman, his father, Ralph Buro Sr., his sister, Jennifer and his brother, Ralph.

The suspect, 34-year-old William Anderson, was due in a Chesterfield court Monday morning. Anderson was charged with assault and battery two years ago. The victim in the case was Anderson 's younger sister, Mary.

On Monday, a judge was supposed to review the case and decide whether to drop the charges based on Anderson 's "behavior" since being charged. The 34-year-old pleaded no contest to the charges in April '04.

According to the arrest warrant, Anderson was ordered to complete the court's recommended anger management program.

Local reaction
    As the investigation into the shooting gets underway, there's also a very human, emotional reality officers are dealing with. Obviously, when you lose any co-worker, it’s difficult to go to work after that loss. Members of this police force say it’s like having a family member in the hospital and losing a brother.

“It’s a brotherhood. They’re very close,” says Lt. Col. Scruggs. ”These officers do what they have to do and then, they deal with it.”

Around Ettrick and at stations around the county, flags are flying at half-mast and there’s a lot of silence. Officers normally seen smiling and joking to lighten the mood on the job are instead wearing black-bands over their badges to show solidarity.

At the Chester station that covers the Ettrick section of the county, calls of support for the officers and their families have been pouring in. May 28, 2003 was the last time this department of some 455 officers had to deal with the loss of one of their own. Soon, his name will be added to the memorial, along with four other officers gone before him.

”We have counselors, peer counselors, as well as professional counselors that are at a location with everyone who has been involved today or will be involved in it for whatever help they need,” says Lt. Col. Scruggs. “We’ll take good care of them.”

It has been three years to the month since Chesterfield Police last lost one of their officers. On May 27, 2003 Officer Ryan Cappellety and his partner responded to a similar domestic call on Ridge Drive. Officer Cappellety exchanged fire with a suspect and was killed. His partner killed then suspect.

Officer Cappellety was the fourth Chesterfield police officer to die in the line of duty.

The officer killed today becomes the second to die by gunfire, after Officer Cappellety.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Another NYPD officer that left the city for a better life and met tragedy. My prayers are with his family and I wish his partner a speedy recovery. Perp was a corrections officer involved in a domestic.

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    I just heard about this through an email with a fellow former explorer. I just don't even know what to say. I didn't know Officer Buro or know Officer Diman, but it still hits hard since I was involved in this police department through the explorer's program. Officer Cappellety's father lived three doors down from me when I lived with my mom and he was shot. It was horrible seeing the pain in his father's eyes and face at the memorial service, and also as he was just trying to pick up the pieces of his life after losing his son.

I wish Officer Diman a full and speedy recovery, and mourn the loss of Officer Buro. I wish his family peace and closure knowing that the son of a bitch who did this is dead. I hope so badly he is in some form of extreme pain and misery.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    The families, of both officers are in my prayers. I also pray for a speedy recovery for Officer Diman.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Rip

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Heard from ChesCopsPoD
    Thanks for posting, I was wondering about him.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Rip
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    Rest in Peace Brother
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

Thread Information