Public Information Office
    4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, Va. 22030
    703-246-2253. TTY 703-204-2264. Fax 703-246-4253
    FCPD-PIO@fairfaxcounty.gov
    www.fairfaxcounty.gov
    News Release: 06/128/1876/MM(1)

May 8, 2006

Police Officer Killed in the Line of Duty

At approximately 3:30 p.m. Monday, May 8, 2006, a gunman opened fire in the parking lot of the Sully District Police Station killing one officer and wounding two others. A citizen also received lacerations at the scene. Two officers were medevaced to Inova Fairfax Hospital. One officer was pronounced dead at the hospital, and a second officer is in very critical condition. The third officer was treated at the scene for minor injuries and then went to Inova Fairfax Hospital for follow-up treatment.

Officers exchanged gunfire with the suspect, an18-year-old male who was armed with multiple weapons; he was killed at the scene. Police believe the gunman acted alone and for reasons not yet determined targeted Fairfax County Police Officers. The identities of the suspect and the officer who was killed are being withheld pending notification of next of kin. The officer was 40 years old. She had been with the Fairfax County Police Department for nine years and most recently worked at the Sully District Station. The hospitalized officer, a 53-year-old male, has been with the department for 23 years and works at the Sully District Station. The third officer, a 28-year-old male, has been with the department for five years; he works at the Mount Vernon District Station. The Sully District Station is located at 4900 Stonecroft Boulevard in Chantilly. This is the first Fairfax County Police Officer shot and killed in the line of duty.

Chief Dave Rohrer has expressed his grief and the grief of the entire Police Department over the loss of the officer. “This shooting was directed at my officers. The detective who was killed was an exemplary detective for us, and we loved her greatly. This is a very difficult day for the Fairfax County Police Department. It was ironic that today we commemorated the Fairfax County Fallen Officer’s Memorial as the entire nation celebrates Police Week. We have lost three officers to traffic crashes, but this is the first officer we have lost to an assailant.”

Further information will be released as it becomes available.

Note to media: No photos are available.

###

To request this information in an alternate format, call the Public Information Office at 703.246.2253. TTY 703-204-2264

FishTail Guest
    Wow. That's just crazy.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    RIP to the fallen officer.....best wishes for a speedy recovery to the rest.......and I hope the perp rots in hell.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    My understanding is that the suspect was arrested a month ago for car jacking. I'm trying to figure why he was even out of jail to do this.

G19LEO is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    My understanding is that the suspect was arrested a month ago for car jacking. I'm trying to figure why he was even out of jail to do this.
    Welcome to the Maryland Criminal Justice System. ( He was arrested for armed carjacking in Montgomery County, MD)

This is very sad.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.
    1*

K9ForLife is offline Banned
    This occurred just a few miles from my county and I can tell you everyone is pretty much in shock. We've lost several officers over the years to Fairfax County (better pay) and we sat on pins and needles until we could hear the names of the officers involved. For such a large county force they have never lost an officer in the LOD except for traffic accidents. May Detective Armel rest in peace and may the suspect burn in hell.

refusetostop is offline Special Operations
    My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the fallen officer, and those that where wounded.

May the suspect burn for all eternity.
    Obedience of the law is demanded; not asked as a favor.
    Theodore Roosevelt

legirons is offline Rookie
    My thoughts and prayers are with the family and the department.

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    The department,friends and family of the officers involved are in my prayers.

As always www.onlyoneson.org

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    My thoughts and prayers to the family and co-workers.

RIP brothers.
    Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

thepman is offline Rookie
    Rest in Peace......................... ....

Thread Information