Welcome to the APBWeb.
    McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

Letter to the editor

This is a letter to the editor of the Press Register that the wife of one of our sergeants (and one of my FTO's) wrote. She wrote one in 2009 when Brandon Sigler was shot and killed.

It has happened again.

Not quite three years ago, Brandon Sigler was preached into the sky, his casket surrounded by his fiancée, his family, and his police family. But last night, the bad guy sent another one home.

If you turned on the news last night, you learned Officer Steven Green’s name.

Did you ever think about him before he was gone? Before you knew his name?

If you made it through the day without being kidnapped, raped, robbed or shot at, or if you expected him to show up and help you in the sad case that any of those things happened to you or someone you love, you should have.

Men die at work sometimes. They are crane operators; they are millworkers and shipbuilders. They do honorable work for private enterprise, and because it is their job to protect themselves and the people who work for them, they are counseled on safety ad nauseum. Even then, there are horrible accidents. And it is terribly sad.

But this is very different.

The Police Officer works for The People. He carries at his side a gun, and wears over his heart a badge; together, they become an Open Threat to any bad person he encounters. The People for whom he works he does not personally know. Nevertheless, he protects them. He fights for them. Sometimes, on a Friday afternoon in the sallyport of the Mobile County Metro Jail, he is stabbed to death in the neck and he dies for them.

He wears a nondescript dark-colored uniform and listens more than he talks. Regardless of marital status, he rarely wears a wedding ring and almost always dons sunglasses. He sits in corners in the backs of restaurants, always facing the door. He blends in where he can and tells The People nothing about himself.

But he is flesh and blood, and he has a home and a personality. He has a family. He has children.

There is someone cooking dinner for him when he is dying for you, The People, in the sallyport.

So, when you hear the words “public safety cuts” and “City Council” in the same sentence, you think about him. When you decide that the starting salary of the man who protects you doesn’t matter, you remember that You are The People, and ask yourself how much your safety is really worth. And when you hear the words “police pensions” in the same sentence with “cost too much,” you think about the wife and three children he leaves behind.

Yes, he is a city worker. And no, he isn’t in it for the money. He wears that badge and uniform because he was called to; because he is particularly good at getting the bad guys. Remind yourself of that. And remind yourself that no other kind of city worker has ever been stabbed to death by a prisoner in the sallyport of Metro Jail for a starting salary of $29,000.00 a year.
    By
    Jada Pierce
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Well said.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    + 1.

1*
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Amen.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pac201 View Post

1*

Indeed.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    But this is very different.
    Yes. Yes it is.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information