Welcome to the APBWeb.
    zone4_car is offline Remember, the eyes of the world are upon you

Rockingham County Deputy Shot

J. Brian Ewing
    Staff Writer
    Thursday, June 29, 2006

Rockingham County sheriff's deputy Travis Loftis was in critical condition Wednesday evening after he was shot while trying to serve warrants outside Wentworth.
    Lamond Duncan, 30, who was named in the warrants, was shot and killed in the incident, which happened about 6 a.m.

Loftis, 30, was part of a special response team that was serving state and federal warrants on Duncan at his home on 750 Ashley Loop Road. Duncan, who was wanted on drug charges, died at the scene. The house is just north of Wentworth in a quiet, rural neighborhood.

Investigators have not determined who shot Duncan, who spent nearly two years in prison after a 1996 conviction for assault with a deadly weapon.

Loftis, who has been with the Sheriff's Office since June 2004, was shot in the torso, a spokesman for the Sheriff's Office said. He was wearing a bullet-proof vest. Loftis underwent surgery Wednesday and is in the intensive care unit at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center.

The sheriff's special response team is similar to a SWAT team. Eden police officers and state and federal agents were assisting the team Wednesday morning.

"They receive the best training we can get," Sheriff Sam Page said during a news conference outside the hospital. "They had every bit of emergency equipment they could get."

Dean Venable, a spokesman for the Sheriff's Office, said Duncan was the subject of an undercover drug investigation. He could not say when the investigation started, but Maj. J.V. Thomas said it would continue and that investigators searched the house after the shooting. The Sheriff's Office did not disclose where or how many times Duncan was shot.

Loftis lost a lot of blood, Venable said, but he was conscious when he was taken from the scene.

Susan Kyle, who lives across the street from the home, awoke to gunshots Wednesday morning. When the ambulances arrived, she knew something was wrong.

"It was very scary," she said.

Alisa Spady, the sister of Duncan's fiance, was at the house after the shooting. She said her sister recently moved from the home because of a break-in. Spady said Duncan had sold drugs in the past but had started a moving business ?Duncan Moving Company -a few months ago. Duncan was the only person at home when the officers arrived, Spady said.

"He was a drinker," Spady said.

Page said he appreciated the outpouring of support he has gotten from the community and other law agencies.

"The worst call you can get is that one of your deputies got shot," he said.

Loftis is married and has a child.

Page said the deputy's wife "has a lot of support," referring to people in the community, family and friends.

"Occasionally an officer is injured in the line of duty. It's always difficult. The more serious the injury, the more difficult it is," Venable said.

The State Bureau of Investigation is investigating, which is routine when a law officer is involved in a shooting.

Winston Salem Journal Staff Writer Ayesha Rascoe contributed to this story.

Staff Writer J. Brian Ewing can be reached at jawing@edendailynews.com or 623-2155.

I'll try to keep everyone posted on Travis's condition. Please, everyone keep Travis and his family in your prayers.
    WAR IS AN EVIL THING, BUT TO SUBMIT TO THE DICTATION OF OTHER STATES IS WORSE...
    FREEDOM, IF WE HOLD FAST TO IT, WILL ULTIMATELY RESTORE OUR LOSSES...
    BUT SUBMISSION WILL MEAN PERMANENT LOSS OF ALL THAT WE VALUE...
    TO YOU WHO CALL YOURSELVES MEN OF PEACE...
    I SAY: YOU ARE NOT SAFE UNLESS YOU HAVE MEN OF ACTION ON YOUR SIDE...

--THUCYDIDES

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    That is just down the road from me. I have friends on that department. That sucks. Why, oh why, can't we go to Judge Dredd type system????
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My thoughts are with the officer and his family, here's hoping for a complete recovery.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    My thoughts & prayers go to the deputy & his family.

But one mild request; add states when you list counties, please. There's also a Rockingham County, VA, and until I saw Winston-Salem, I wasn't sure which this was.

Julie is offline Banned
    I know the area well also ... prayers wishes to the family ..

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    My thoughts and prayers are with Deputy Loftis and his family.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of this officer and I hope he is able to make a full and speedy recovery.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Prayers for the officer's recovery, and thanks that the P.O.S. won't be doing it to anyone else ever again.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Sniperfox is offline Kophjaeger
    As of yesterday evening, Travis was awake and aware of who was around him. He is showing alot of improvement, but still a long way to go.

Thread Information