Welcome to the APBWeb.
    2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Update - 2 Mounties Die from Injuries

Family members joined police at a news conference Sunday afternoon to confirm the deaths of two Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers shot on July 7 in Saskatchewan.

The devastated relatives of constables Robin Cameron, 29, and Marc Bourdages, 26, spoke briefly to the media, but shared kind words of the slain officers.

"I believe that Mark is with us now in spirit and that he is in a better place where he can be peaceful,'' said his wife Natasha, who is an RCMP officer in Spiritwood.

Cameron passed away at about 11 p.m. Saturday night, and Bourdages, her partner, died about two hours later, police said.

Both succumbed to "severe head injuries" after being shot near the small farming community of Mildred, Sask., as they pursued a suspect.

Both officers, who were surrounded in hospital by their families for the past week, were described as "young and popular."

Bourdages leaves behind a nine-month-old child and Cameron leaves behind an 11-year-old daughter.

Support has poured in from across the country following the tragic shootings, police said.

Regimental funerals will be held for both constables.

Both Cameron and Bourdages were taken to hospital in Saskatoon, where they underwent extensive surgery for their injuries following the July 7 incident.

The two Mounties and a third officer were responding to a report that an assault had taken place at about 9 p.m.

Curtis Dagenais, 41, is still wanted in connection with the shooting.

The suspect in the assault fled in a vehicle, and the officers pursued him, but were reportedly fired on when the man stopped.

The third officer returned fire on the suspect, but it is not known if he was struck.

The suspect then fled the scene on foot.

Since then, police have carried out a massive, so far unsuccessful manhunt for Dagenais, the suspected shooter.

Police now suggest Dagenais may have fled the province or died while hiding in the forest. His father, Arthur Dagenais, who is in custody charged with obstruction of justice in the case, worries his son may have taken his own life.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement, saying the officers made the "ultimate sacrifice" in the service to fellow Canadians.

"I express my sincere condolences to the families, friends and fellow colleagues of these brave officers who have been touched by this terrible tragedy. This is truly a sad day for all Canadians," the statement read.

"This tragic event is a sad reminder of the sacrifice and bravery of the men and women who serve in our national police force and all those who dedicate their lives to protecting our country and our communities, often working under extreme circumstances, and in conditions of great danger.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and loved ones in this, their time of need."

In March 2005, four RCMP officers were shot and killed in Mayerthorpe, Alta. by James Roszko while they were on his property to investigate stolen parts and a marijuana grow operation. Roszko then took his own life.

CTV.ca News Staff
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Thanks Nick.

Hope you have some room on the credit card. I think I'll be showing you depot, sadly under the worst circumstances.

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Hey no worries. It doesn't matter if an officer is a muni or a mountie... we all sign up to put ourselves in front of danger; we're all the same no matter what uniform we wear.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

My thoughts and prayers are enroute....

May they rest in peace.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    R.I.P. My thoughts and prayers are with their families, friends and colleagues.
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    May they Rest in Peace.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    Rip
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

Thread Information