Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO

Colorado Officer Down

Damnit.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your coworkers Pat (CO_Cop)

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...7-c589c01ca7bf

AURORA - The police officer who was shot and killed on Wednesday was a 24-year veteran of the force and had received the medal of honor from the department.

Additional Resources...
    Aurora police officer gunned down, suspect in custody
    Watch the press conference by Aurora Police Chief Daniel Oates on the death of Det. Michael Thomas. September 20, 2006.

Det. Michael D. Thomas was shot while he was in his personal car stopped at the stoplight at Peoria Street and Montview Boulevard at around noon.

Police say a bullet entered his left side and he was pronounced dead at just after 12:30 p.m. at the University of Colorado at Denver Hospital.

Thomas was working a training day and was heading from one training center to another when he was shot.

"We are in mourning," said Aurora Police Chief Daniel Oates. "This is about as hard as it gets for those of us in policing."

Police arrested a suspect shortly after the shooting.

Oates says another police officer, two Department of Corrections officers and several citizens that were passing by helped apprehend the suspect.

Oates says after a struggle 27-year-old Brian Allen Washington, of Denver, was taken into custody and a handgun was recovered.

Washington has an extensive criminal history and Oates said he was wanted by the Denver Police Department on another shooting on September 18th.

Police say he shot at a woman in her car at 33rd Avenue and Pontiac Street.

Oates says there is no evidence it was a road rage incident.

Washington was booked on the charge of first degree murder. The Adams County District Attorney's office will make a decision about filing in the next 72 hours.

He is currently being held without bond and is scheduled to be in Adams County District Court Thursday afternoon.

Aurora Police ask that any witnesses to the shooting contact them at 303-739-6106.

Thomas worked in the K-9 and narcotics divisions with the Aurora Police Department before becoming a detective in 2005. He was given more than a dozen awards by the department and was given the department's medal of honor in 1992.

"He was beloved by the department," said Oates. "I had a friend of his tell me today that he was known in the department as among the hardest working detectives."

"Mike was a great guy and this is a huge loss," said Aurora Mayor Ed Tauer.

The police department planned to hold a private memorial for officers on Wednesday night.

Three other Aurora Police officers have been killed in the line of duty, all in the 1980s. Debra Corr was killed in 1981 while trying to arrest a drunk driver; Thomas Dietzman, Jr. died at the police firing range in 1985; Edward Hockom was killed while trying to arrest a robbery suspect in 1987.

CO_Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, Everyone in the Department is shocked by this. He was on his way to the driving track from the academy. One of our instructors was the one that fought him along with the other civilians who helped take this fuckhead in custody.

RIP Mike Thomas..
    "Regulators, we regulate any stealin' of his property and we're damn good too. But you can't be any geek off the street. You gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep, Regulators! Mount up!"

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Damn....Dispatch has been updating us all day on this. I hate shit like this, and can only hope that the mother fucker fries. If they can only link the officer to the suspect, they can hopefully get the 1st degree charge to stick.

RIP brother.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    My day off today, I was in the mountains, just now heard about this... The piece of shit who shot him was apparently involved in a shooting in my district on Monday (I've been off since Sunday, so I don't have any details on that one yet). Hope they give him the needle, wish they could still give him a noose.

RIP Det. Thomas... our thoughts will be with his family and the rest of you at Aurora PD.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Thoughts and prayers
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    RIP Brother.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Pat, do you have any details on his funeral on TUesday? I know where it's being held and the time, etc, but that's it. Is it department and family only? Full LE procession?

If at all possible, another honor guard officer at my department and I were thinking about coming down and showing support. Please let us all know the details.

Prayers with you guys.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    wow... i am so sorry.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Verified LEO
    121, I will be there as well if you go. I just need to leave Fort Collins early. That is, if it's open to other departments..

Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Pat, do you have any details on his funeral on TUesday? I know where it's being held and the time, etc, but that's it. Is it department and family only? Full LE procession?

If at all possible, another honor guard officer at my department and I were thinking about coming down and showing support. Please let us all know the details.

Prayers with you guys.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Okay, our agency received a teletype today. Other agencies welcome, full procession to Fort Logan to follow.

APD is asking one officer from each department replying to be the "Point of Contact" for your entire department. That person should advise Aurora how many cops are coming, and how many dept cars will accompany them. They are also asking that officers arrive as a group with their department rather than individually in order to facilitate placement in the procession, etc.

If we don't hear from Pat, I will get all the info from the teletype tonight at work. The funeral is on Tuesday at 1100. More details to follow.

Verified LEO
    It sounds like my department has already "picked" the designated participants... I'll see what I can do.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
    It sounds like my department has already "picked" the designated participants... I'll see what I can do.
    sounds like things are shaping up the same way over in my dept. So I doubt I'll be in attendance at this point myself. I hope you or 121traffic will end up being able to make it there...

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Even if you aren't slated to ride in the procession, I don't see anything to keep you from going to show support.

Here's the text from the teletype, verbatim:

09-01632 AURORA PD CO 09/22/06
    TO LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES IN COLORADO AND SURROUNDING STATES
    REFERENCE: FUNERAL FOR AGENT MIKE THOMAS

THE FUNERAL FOR AGENT MIKE THOMAS WILL BE HELD ON TUESDAY,
    SEPTEMPER 26, 2006 AT 1100 HOURS, AT THE HERITAGE CHRISTIAN CENTER
    LOCATED AT 9495 EAST FLORIDA AVENUE, DENVER, COLORADO.

THERE WILL BE A PROCESSION TO FORT LOGAN FOLLOWING THE FUNERAL.

WE REQUEST THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION FROM YOUR AGENCIES:

APPROXIMATE NUMBER OF CARS THAT WILL BE PARTICIPATING IN THE PROCESSION.

CARS THAT WILL BE ATTENDING THE FUNERAL, BUT NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THE PROCESSION.

APPROXIMATE NUMBER OF ATTENDEES FROM YOUR AGENCY.

REQUESTING CARS FROM JURISDICTIONS COME IN GROUPS NOT INDIVIDUALLY.

PLEASE LET US KNOW OF ANY DIGNITARIES WHO WILL BE ATTENDING THE FUNERAL.

WE ARE ALSO ASKING THAT YOU MAINTAIN A SINGLE POINT-OF-CONTACT WITHIN YOUR AGENCY. PLEASE HAVE YOUR POINT-OF-CONTACT E-MAIL ANY ISSUES OR QUESTIONS TO LT.JEFF TURNER AT JTURNER@AURORAGOV.ORG.

WE ARE REQUESTING TRAFFIC CONTROL ASSISTANCE AT MAJOR INTERSECTIONS FROM THE FOLLOWING JURISDICTIONS:

ARAPAHOE COUNTY
    DENVER
    CHERRY HILLS
    ENGLEWOOD
    SHERIDAN

PLEASE COORDINATE WITH LT. JEFF TURNER AT PHONE NUMBER 303.739.6326OR BY EMAIL AT JTURNER@AURORAGOV.ORG.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, UNDERSTANDING, AND OUTPOURING OF SUPPORT DURING THIS DIFFICULT TIME.

/S/LT. HARRY GLIDDEN

AUTH PD AURORA COLORADO 10:18:54 MT KJB
    Last edited by 121Traffic; 09-24-06 at 04:34 PM.

CO_Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Sorry, couldn't get you the info.. I just moved last week and I have not been able to check my email and LEF. The funeral was today and man was it emotional. Pretty cool to see all that support for one of our own. Kinda the same show of support for Jared Jensen out of the CSPD last January. Well, I got some interesting pictures if anyone want to see..

Thanks.

Pat S.
    "Regulators, we regulate any stealin' of his property and we're damn good too. But you can't be any geek off the street. You gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep, Regulators! Mount up!"

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The service was beautiful. I was especially impressed with APD's vigilance and preparing for the worst with their men up on the roof with binoculars. There were thousands of cops standing in that parking lot, and it would have been easy for some asshole to open fire from a nearby apartment. Let's not forget the huge Islamic "community center" only a couple blocks away...

Service was beautiful, and I was glad they found a facility that fit everyone in. It was pretty emotional. I was surprised to hear Gene Colwell's (sp?) name among those that helped apprehend the guy! He is a name often tossed around my department...guess he was a well-like Patrol/SWAT guy with us before heading out to Aurora.

The procession was breathtaking as well...the idea to keep all 750 cars on MAC 3 (Multi Agency Channel) to monitor progress was a good one, and I was always amazed when I heard my current location in relation to the lead car when they were broadcasting their's.

A (poor) picture of the procession, taken from my POV in the Expedition's driver seat.

Sorry for your guys' loss...know that we're all with you, brother.
    Last edited by 121Traffic; 09-27-06 at 07:30 PM.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Rest in Peace, brother. My prayers and thoughts out to Aurora.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Verified LEO

L.E. Psych is offline Officer First Class
    Rest in Peace and God's Speed.

SRT Sniper is offline Improvise-Adapt-Overcome!
    Godspeed... May you Rest In Peace...
    You are a sniper when all other methods to save a life are failing...
    You are a counter-sniper when someone else thinks they are as good as you with a rifle.

Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate - Audentes fortuna iuvat - Nemo me impune laedere
    Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers to you all.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information