Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    StanSwitek is offline Corporal

Off duty deputy killed at accident scene

Sad story. This is one of the reasons I'm very hesitant to stop at T/c.s. This story is all to common...

Article Launched: 01/02/2006 12:00:00 AM

Concern costs OC deputy his life
    By Samantha Gonzaga, Staff writer

CERRITOS An off-duty Orange County Sheriff's deputy who stopped to help the occupants of an overturned SUV on the Artesia (91) Freeway was hit and instantly killed by a passing sedan early Sunday, as was the SUV's sole passenger, authorities said.

The collision occurred at 3:27 a.m., shutting down a stretch of the eastbound 91 Freeway for investigation until 9:25 a.m., said California Highway Patrol Officer Francisco Villalobos.

According to CHP and Los Angeles County Coroner's Office reports, Paramount resident John Joseph Olivas was driving on the 91 Freeway just west of Carmenita Road when he lost control of his Toyota 4Runner. Deputy Melvin Guevara, 24, of Riverside, had pulled over to assist Olivas and his passenger, 22-year-old Paramount resident Genaro Garcia Palayo, out of their overturned vehicle.

"While the deputy was giving aid, a 1997 Toyota Camry collided with the 4Runner and struck the deputy," Villalobos said.

The three men were standing outside the overturned SUV when they were struck by Placentia resident Min-Chi Chang, said Lt. Fred Corral of the coroner's Investigations Division. Guevara and Palayo died at the scene, while Olivas and Chang, 28, were transported to a hospital for moderate injuries.

Charges against Chang were pending as authorities continue to investigate the accident, Corral said.

Samantha Gonzaga can be reached at (562) 499-1284.

Indy Guest
    That is so sad.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Damn that sucks. Any word if the department will rule this as an "line of duty death" so the family will get benifits?

So sad...

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    I would think so... hope so..
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    I would think so... hope so..

Same here, most departments would...

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Thats a good question. He is whats known as a "special deputy" who only has PO powers only when on duty. Perhaps Punisher will know more about this.

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    Prayer sent
    RIP

Robinguevara is offline Rookie
    This Officere was my brother and for those who wonder if it was ruled in the line of duty i am happy to say that it was so mels kids are well taken care of and the OCSD has been there for all of us in this hard times Its coming two years now but the pain is still the same you know the pain never goes away you just learn how to ive with it

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Condolences. May your brother rest in peace.

Thank yoo RIP MEL

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    RIP brother
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

For all law enforcemnt officers thank you for what you do if it wasnt because of you guys this world would be a disaster so thank you for all the things you ghuys do

Bits Of Cloth and Metal

[SBits of cloth and metal
    There's another, better world out there, one that cynics will never know or appreciate.
    GORDON DILLOW
    Register columnist

Cynics would argue that it's foolish to risk your own life to try to help a stranger. They would say that a posthumously-awarded swatch of brightly-colored cloth and a shiny bit of metal are a meaningless substitute for a living father, husband, brother and son.

And in a cynical, selfish, me-first world, perhaps they are right.

But there's another, better world out there, one that cynics will never know or appreciate. It's the world in which men and women who are faced with life-and-death challenges put aside self-interest and try to help someone else, even a stranger, and even when there's absolutely nothing in it for them.

It's the world of guys like Melvin Guevara.

I first wrote about Melvin Guevara last year. He was the 24-year-old Orange County sheriff's special officer who was struck and killed by a car in the early morning hours on New Year's Day 2006, while he was trying to help a man who was trapped in an overturned car on the 91 Freeway.

Special Officer Guevara special officers are a rank below deputy didn't have to do what he did. He was off-duty at the time, and he could have simply waited for more help to arrive. But he feared that the overturned car would be struck by oncoming traffic if he didn't try to get the man out which is exactly what happened. Guevara was killed instantly.

At his funeral, hundreds of people his widow, Adriana; his daughter, Anay; his sons, Michael and Mel Luis; other family members; friends; police officers; members of his Jehovah's Witness congregation turned out to remember him. And what struck me then was that no one I spoke with no one was surprised that he had done what he did. He was just that kind of guy, they said. That's just the way he was, they said.

It wasn't simply the sort of nice things people say about a man after he's gone. They really meant it. He really was the kind of guy who was always trying to help people and who would put his own life at risk to try to save a stranger which I guess is a pretty good working definition of a hero.

So last week there was another ceremony for Melvin Guevara this time not a sad farewell to a life but rather a celebration of the courage that marked that life. The occasion was the Orange County Sheriff's Department's annual Medal of Valor ceremony in Irvine.

Guevara wasn't the only one being honored. Sheriff's Deputies Craig Nelson and Marisela Elmore were awarded Medals of Valor for shooting a knife-wielding attacker and saving a woman's life. Deputy James Porras was awarded a Medal of Courage for saving a rape victim. A Medal for Lifesaving went to Deputy Doug Claypool for rescuing seven people from a burning apartment building, and another went to Deputy Thomas Graham, who pulled three young boys out of a dangerous riptide. And there were many others.

But Special Officer Guevara was the only honoree whose medals were awarded posthumously. He was the only one whose courage and selflessness had cost him his life.

So as his family members his mother, Delia, his widow, his brothers and sisters, and others looked on, Melvin's father, Manuel Guevara, and Melvin's five-year-old son, Michael, stood on the stage. The official citation was read, and then Sheriff Mike Carona presented the Purple Heart Medal and the Medal of Courage to Special Officer Guevara's father and son, while the watching crowd stood in sustained and heartfelt ovation.

And from that moment, and for as long as the Guevara family lives, those medals became treasured symbols not of Melvin Guevara's death but of his too-short life and how he chose to live it.

"We will teach them about him," Melvin's father said to me of Melvin's children. "It's important to remember what he did."

Of course, the awards for Special Officer Guevara and the other men and women honored at the ceremony didn't get a lot of public attention. It's funny that we tune in by the millions to see people get Academy Awards for on-screen heroics, while barely giving a glance to awards for people who actually do what actors only pretend to do.

But Melvin Guevara's family will never forget that ceremony. Yes, they have lost a beloved husband, father, son and brother. But they will always know that those medals are more than swatches of cloth and bits of shiny metal.

They will always know what the cynics will never understand.

I am Proud to say that Mel was awarded the metal of courage and the purple heart he has also recieved othe metals such as a red cross metal and a Carniege hero metal

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Jesis. Mary and Joseph! will the carnage never end this year? Another soldier to stand at the side of St Michael. Bless you brother and rest in peace. Thanks to the Guevara family for the sacrifices made by Deputy Mel Guevara. May God offer you comfort in your grief and loss!

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

HotTamale is offline Officer First Class
    RIP Mel
    OPD Explorer Post #2235

I never thought there was such thing as a stupid question, then I became a security officer.

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    RIP.
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Prayers

RIP

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    so sorry to hear this..
    really am

just had another BSO deputy stabbed this morning... looking for the subject now.. but the deputy is out of the hospital now thank goodness.

hugs always
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Rest in Peace Brother, Your watch is over.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information