Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

2 Fairfield Police Officers Shot (one dead)

Fairfield Police Officers Shot

FAIRFIELD, Ala. -- Two police officers were involved in a shooting Monday morning at 5323 Ave. H in Fairfield.

Authorities said the officers had responded to a call regarding a suspicious male in the neighborhood.

According to police, a female officer was confirmed dead at the scene. The other was airlifted to UAB Hospital for treatment and is in critical condition.

Police have apprehended one suspect and are still searching for the second.

Officials said schools in the area, including Miles College and St. Mary's Catholic School, are currently on lockdown while police search for the suspect.

web page
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    that is awful to hear...
    my thoughts are with them
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    How awful
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Rest In Peace! This is very sad.

Prayers to her family.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just alittle update on this.... back in the day I worked with the officer that survived. He is not in critical condition. He was shot in the leg and his leg was broken. I wil be going to see him this afternoon and keep ya'll up to date.
    Last edited by Five-0; 10-24-06 at 10:57 AM.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Sad to hear... my condolences...

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers enroute.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Update

1 Alabama police officer killed, 1 wounded; schools locked down during manhunt
    The Associated Press

Published: October 23, 2006

FAIRFIELD, Alabama A police officer was fatally shot in a Birmingham suburb and a backup officer was wounded, sparking a manhunt and prompting school lockdowns, authorities said.

More than 150 police officers blocked roads Monday in Fairfield and went door to door with guns drawn searching for two men, authorities said.

"A very cold-blooded murderer, a thug, if you will, is on the streets," Fairfield Mayor Michael Johnson told reporters. He urged the suspects to turn themselves in.

Officer Mary Smith, 48, was responding to a call about a suspicious vehicle about 10:15 a.m. when she was shot as she stepped from her patrol car, authorities said. Officer Erick Burpo, who arrived on the scene a few seconds later, was shot in the leg.

Police Chief Pat Mardis told The Birmingham News that Smith was able to use her radio to call in part of a license plate number, and that officers were searching for a vehicle described as a beige Ford pickup truck.

Smith was shot in the chest and died at a hospital, Mardis said. Smith had joined the Fairfield police two months ago after retiring from the police force in neighboring Birmingham.

Officials locked down a half-dozen schools in the area during the manhunt.
    Last edited by snuffy2202; 10-24-06 at 02:14 PM.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.” – Jeff Cooper'

Verified LEO
    Officer Mary Smith's killer was apprehended this morning. I knew Officer Smith well when she worked for Birmingham P.D. She had just retired on September 1, this year. She was always laughing and smiling. She never had anything bad to say about anyone. She will be missed terribly by all of us.

On another sad note, Sgt. Joe Hill, Birmingham P.D. was in a motorcycle accident in Lafayette, LA last weekend and died when his rear tire blew. I worked with him when he was at North Precinct. He was always so upbeat and jovial. He too, will be missed terribly.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.” – Jeff Cooper'

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    What a loss. RIP.

"Stupid should hurt."

chris2001 is offline Captain
    R.I.P

We have your watch now.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just got back from going to see Erick this afternoon. He is doing well. He was sleeping when I was there, but the Dr. told me that he might be getting out as early as tonight. If he can manage the crutches he is free to go. His wife is taking it very well considering they were only recently married. He was actually shot twice. His vest caught the bullet that hit him in the back. This kind of thing always sucks. It sucks alot more when it is someone you know. Snuffy, I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like Mary was a gem, and she will be missed by alot of people.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Capital murder charges filed in Fairfield officer's death
    Authorities charged Demetrius Avery Jackson Jr. this afternoon with capital murder in the death of Fairfield police officer Mary Smith and attempted murder in the shooting of officer Erick Burpo.

Jackson is being held without bond in the Jefferson County Jail in Bessemer.

Fairfield Police Chief Patrick Mardis said Smith was shot Monday in front of a residence at 5323 Avenue H in Fairfield. She had two suspects detained on the hood of her cruiser when another man walked up and shot her, Mardis said. Seconds later, Burpo arrived in his cruiser and was shot by the same man, Mardis said.
    Authorities, after an overnight search involving as many as 150 agents and officers, arrested Jackson without incident at 11:30 a.m. today at his girlfriend’s apartment at 100 Pratt Hwy. He was alone in a unit of the St. Charles Villa Apartments. Officers are holding two other suspects but no charges have been field against any of the three. “We want to send the message that violence against our police officers will not be tolerated,” Mardis said.

Capital murder charges to be sought in police killing

Authorities said they will seek capital murder charges and federal charges for a 21-year-old Leeds man arrested today in connection with Monday’s fatal shooting of a Fairfield police officer and wounding of another.

Demetrius Avery Jackson Jr. who had been sought in connection with the death of officer Mary Smith and wounding of officer Erick Burpo, is in the Jefferson County Jail in Bessemer being interviewed by state and federal authorities.

Fairfield Police Chief Patrick Mardis said Smith was shot Monday in front of a residence at 5323 Avenue H in Fairfield. She had two suspects detained on the hood of her cruiser when another man walked up and shot her, Mardis said. Seconds later, Burpo arrived in his cruiser and was shot by the same man, Mardis said.

Authorities, after an overnight search involving as many as 150 agents and officers, arrested Jackson without incident at 11:30 a.m. today at his girlfriend’s apartment at 100 Pratt Hwy. He was alone in a unit of the St. Charles Villa Apartments. Officers are holding two other suspects but no charges have been field against any of the three. “We want to send the message that violence against our police officers will not be tolerated,” Mardis said.

The funeral for Smith will be at noon Friday at New Bethlehem Baptist Church in Bessemer. Burpo had surgery at UAB hospital and is expected to be released either today or tomorrow, Mardis said.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Just got back from going to see Erick this afternoon. He is doing well. He was sleeping when I was there, but the Dr. told me that he might be getting out as early as tonight. If he can manage the crutches he is free to go. His wife is taking it very well considering they were only recently married. He was actually shot twice. His vest caught the bullet that hit him in the back. This kind of thing always sucks. It sucks alot more when it is someone you know. Snuffy, I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like Mary was a gem, and she will be missed by alot of people.
    Thanks, Five-0, for your words of comfort. I'm glad Erick is doing better. Everybody, stay safe out there. It seems like there are more and more police shootings every day.
    -Thomas Jefferson

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    i cant understand why someone would do this..
    geesh
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    RIP

I hope the killer rots in hell...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    i cant understand why someone would do this..
    geesh
    Sad thing is we will probably never know the true reason why these people do things like this. Other than they are stupid and have gone psycho.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Rest in Peace Mary...

Fairfield police chief Patrick Mardis, left, and Fairfield Mayor Michael Johnson pay tribute to Officer Mary Smith at her funeral service at New Bethlehem Baptist Church in Bessemer, Ala.

Officers dismissed

ticktwrter is offline Rookie
    Rest in Peace. I hope the thugs are caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell View Post
    RIP

I hope the killer rots in hell...
    second that.

thoughts and prayers to the downed officers and all who knew them.
    best wishes to the surviving officer
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Thread Information