Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

'It was done execution-style'

'It was done execution-style'
    Maywood cop, father of 5, shot to death

October 25, 2006
    BY FRANK MAIN AND ANNIE SWEENEY Crime Reporters
    Investigators were interviewing three male "persons of interest" in the shooting of 37-year-old Officer Thomas Wood, said Officer Pirsia Allen, a Maywood police spokesman. He could not give a motive.

The department received a 911 call at 11:17 p.m. Monday from a resident who saw Wood slumped over the wheel of his police vehicle near Sixth and Erie.

"Tom came from a real hard life and was tough and rough," said his wife, who asked that her name not be used because she fears for her family's safety. "He just wanted to straighten the world out."

A Maywood officer since 1997, Wood was shot after notifying dispatchers that a drug trafficking call he investigated was unfounded, Allen said.

"It was done execution-style, most definitely," he said.

Wood, a member of the K-9 team, was found in his marked vehicle with the driver's side window open. It appeared he was shot six times in the head and once in the chest, according to preliminary reports. His dog, Daro, was unharmed.

Bullet holes were found in a white car parked nearby, Allen said. Investigators recovered bullet casings, he said.

Police arrive in seconds
    Edward Bowman, who lives at Sixth and Erie, said he heard the shots and ran to a bedroom where his two children were sleeping to make sure they were OK.
    Then he looked out the window and saw Wood slumped over the wheel. A neighbor was on a cell phone yelling "An officer is down." Police officers arrived in about 30 seconds, Bowman said.

"I thought they would knock on my door, but they busted it down and three to five officers ran inside," he said.

Bowman, 32, said he and his wife and children were petrified as officers shined their flashlights into his home and yelled "What do you know? Did you see anything?" Later, a police lieutenant apologized for the officers barging in, Bowman said.

"They definitely went overboard," he said. "My 5-year-old daughter was shivering with fear."

Bowman said he knew Wood, who regularly patrolled the neighborhood.

"I feel really bad for his wife and kids," he said. "He seemed like a nice guy."

Bowman said he plans to move because of the violence in the neighborhood. He said there was another killing across the street a few months ago. A "Stop the Shooting" poster is displayed in one neighbor's window.

There have been nine murders this year in west suburban Maywood, compared to seven at the same time in 2005, Allen said. Gangs are an increasing problem for the village of about 26,000 people, but the neighborhood where Wood was killed is not considered a "problem area," he said.

Pulled over his future wife
    Wood lived in a large home in northwest suburban Schiller Park. He and his wife first met in 1995 when she was coaching a local gymnastics team. A former gymnast at East Leyden High School, he volunteered to help but never followed up, his wife said.
    The two met up again in 1997.

"He stopped me for speeding," the 36-year-old woman said, her face breaking into a smile.

He never ticketed her for the stop in Stone Park, where he worked as a cop before joining the Maywood force. Next thing she knew, he was stopping by her west suburban home regularly.

They started dating in 1998. They had two children and also raised three from her earlier marriage -- ages 6 to 17.

Wood, who attended Robert Morris College, began his police career in Schiller Park before going to Stone Park and eventually Maywood. He worked part-time security at Proviso East High School in Maywood, where students there called him Robocop.

His wife said his caring nature makes the shooting harder to understand.

"I've got to be OK with it," she said, her head falling and tears welling. "I can't hate. But they need to know they left a large, young family alone. I will never find someone like that again. He cherished me. I was his queen."

fmain@suntimes.com

asweeney@suntimes.com
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Rip
    Calm Like A Bomb...

ďA pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.Ē
    -Winston Churchill

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    That is very sad I found tears in my eyes too..
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    damn.. thats fucked up....

...they shot him six times in the head? WTF?
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

sgtbambam is offline Sergeant
    May he rest in peace. I pray that his fellow Officers find the killers and bring them to justice!!

RIP

-"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."

-ďLife is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē

John Wayne

R.I.P. Officer Larry Cox

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    Rest In Peace brother, we have the watch. I'm at a loss for words, we also had the funeral today of a local soldier killed in Iraq last week . What really sucks is he was coming home mid November.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    May he rest in peace. We'll keep his family in our prayers. As for the suspect(s), may they rest in pieces.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.Ē Ė Jeff Cooper'

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That just makes me sick. RIP.

IDBLTAP is offline "Donuts...are there anything they can't do?"
    Rest in peace, brother. We'll watch your family for you.
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. -- Psalm 144:1

RIP. May angels lead you in.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Thread Information