Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Lawyer Story

carolina is offline Master Officer

Lawyer Story

This may have been posted before, but I didn't find it in a search. I know it's been around awhile, but it's still pretty good.

A Charlotte, NC lawyer purchased a box of very rare and expensive cigars, then insured them against fire among other things. Within a month having smoked his entire stockpile of these great cigars and without yet having made even his first premium payment on the policy, the lawyer filed a claim against the insurance company. In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost "in a series of small fires."

The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason: That the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion. The Lawyer sued and won!

In delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with the insurance company that the claim was frivolous. The Judge stated, nevertheless, that the lawyer held a policy from the company in which it had warranted that the cigars were insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire, without defining what is considered to be unacceptable fire, and was obligated to pay the claim. Rather than endure lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000 to the lawyer for his loss of the rare cigars lost in the "fires."

NOW FOR THE BEST PART
    After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of ARSON! With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000 fine.

On another note:

Concerning the story about the lawyer & his cigars - recently in a bar, where a lively discussion was going on, one man shouted out -

"All lawyers are ass-holes!".....with that a fellow at the far end of the bar yelled back - "Sir, I resent that!".

The originator of the initial comment yelled back - "Sorry, Are you an Attorney?" To which the other guy said - "No......I.m an Ass-hole!".

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

General Patten is offline Surgeon General

that is hilarious
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Thats great

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Brilliant! Never heard that one before!
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    On the subject of lousy lawyers - here's a real one who showed up drunk for court. (courtroom video)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=98280d9df4

carolina is offline Master Officer
    Wow, I couldn't imagine having that happen The Judge was very patient with him ... I'm surprised he wasn't held in contempt of court Just when you think you've seen everything, nope, look again ...

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Thread Information