Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Lightbulb If you could design your next cruiser

A few years ago Volvo had an all female team go through and make suggestions as to what they'd change. It was interesting to see what they suggested, and most of the changes would have universal appeal.
    http://www.wired.com/cars/energy/news/2004/04/62991

More recently the open source community got the idea to design a car and give away the plans to anyone who wants to make their own. Stupid idea, but amusing. More amusing still, the result.
    http://crunchgear.com/2007/03/30/fir...-car-unveiled/

LEF can do better than that!

If you had the chance to design your next cruiser, what innovations would your design have?

Just for fun so anything goes on this fantasy car.
    Bonus points for sketches. (points? Well, it sounded good)

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    No ideas yet? Some things I'd design into my version of the perfect car.

* Fiberglass body for weight reduction. Carbon fiber variant even better, though $$.

* Electric drive, AWD, with user installable range extender. (no need to for it to be onboard all the time, just extra weight) Range extender would double as a portable household/camping generator. Extra cargo space when removed.

* Since it'd be a plug-in, a timer built into the climate controls so the cabin would be warmed/cooled before I went out to the car.

* Cooled seats. Heated seats always seemed silly, but a cooled seat on a hot summer day, ahhh. K-9 friendly too.

* No carpet, textured rubber floor with drain paths for melting snow. Easier to clean; if a passenger wants carpet they can bring their own floor mat.

* Four point seatbelt designed to be as or more convenient than standard lap/shoulder, with impact pretensioning, hydraulic seat mounts, side curtain airbags.

* Radio would be AM/FM/SW with a proper volume knob, no push button volume.

* Standardized fastener sizes - only 10mm, 12mm, 14mm torx head screws used so the included toolkit of one double ended wrench, screwdriver and tire iron would be sufficient for roadside repairs.

What'd you always wish was different about your cars?

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Either one of these would do me just fine.
    Here's something thats on the horizon though. Just thought it was interesting.

www.carbonmotors.com
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    solar-powered.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    solar-powered.
    Sounds good to me. Happy to borrow energy from all over.

Lew - Mopar guy, eh? Like this carbonmotors; nifty to see someone's running with the idea. Many is the time I've thought about making upgrade kits for cars with common problems. Too many ideas, too little application.

In case you need extra incentive to click the link...

Last edited by BEB; 05-18-07 at 09:14 PM.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    solar-powered.
    I always knew you were a hippie

wonder how well the solar-powered thing would work out though? Our mountain roads have enough problems, I couldn't begin to imagine all the delays during ski season when the solar powered cars stopped working in the Eisenhower Tunnel!

Realistically though, I think ethanol would be a great start around here... Seeing as the United States grows roughly 49% of the world's corn, and it is a clean-burning renewable resource who's use would stimulate our economy! (anyway, I'm heading off topic now, so I'll stop).

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    As the one who started this topic I decree going off topic to be welcome!

Surprised really that people haven't jumped in to share their ideas of cars could be better if only X would be changed. Doesn't even have to be realistic, just for fun.

Jenna's solar powered car could be a battery electric which is charged through solar. She just wouldn't get to drive every day.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post
    Jenna's solar powered car could be a battery electric which is charged through solar. She just wouldn't get to drive every day.
    I wouldn't mind. As it is I drive about once every 2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    I always knew you were a hippie

wonder how well the solar-powered thing would work out though? Our mountain roads have enough problems, I couldn't begin to imagine all the delays during ski season when the solar powered cars stopped working in the Eisenhower Tunnel!

Realistically though, I think ethanol would be a great start around here... Seeing as the United States grows roughly 49% of the world's corn, and it is a clean-burning renewable resource who's use would stimulate our economy! (anyway, I'm heading off topic now, so I'll stop).
    Ethanol, eh? And you call me a hippie! Kind of like the environmentalist calling the hippie green!
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-21-07 at 06:42 AM.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Duplicate post--mods, please delete this (as I still don't have a delete button )
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-21-07 at 06:42 AM.

Thread Information