Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Southern Drawl Words Translated

The Association of Southern Schools has decided to pursue some of the seemingly endless taxpayer dollar pipeline through Washington designating Southern slang, or y'allbonics, as a language to be taught in all Southern schools.

The following are excerpts from the Y'allbonics/English dictionary:

HEIDI - (noun) -Greeting.

HIRE YEW - Complete sentence. Remainder of greeting. Usage "Heidi, Hire yew?"

BARD - (verb) - Past tense of the infinitive "to borrow. "Usage "My brother bard my pickup truck."

JAWJUH - (noun) - The State north of Florida. Capitol is Lanner. Usage "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck."

BAMMER - (noun) - The State west of Jawjuh. Capitol is Berminhayum. Usage "A tornader jes went through Bammer an' left $20,000,000 in improvements."

MUNTS - (noun) - A calendar division. Usage "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck, and I ain't herd from him in munts."

THANK - (verb) - Cognitive process. Usage "Ah thank ah'll have a bare."

BARE - (noun) - An alcoholic beverage made of barley, hops, and yeast. Usage "Ah thank ah'll have a bare."

IGNERT - (adjective) - Not smart. See "Arkansas native." Usage "Them bammer boys sure are ignert!"

RANCH - (noun) - A tool used for tight'nin' bolts. Usage "I thank I left my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh bard a few munts ago."

ALL - (noun) - A petroleum-based lubricant. Usage "I sure hope my brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."

FAR - (noun) - A conflagration. Usage "If my brother from Jawjuh don't change the all in my pickup truck, that thing's gonna catch far."

TAR - (noun) - A rubber wheel. Usage "Gee, I hope that brother of mine from Jawjuh don't git a flat tar in my pickup truck."

TIRE - (noun) - A tall monument. Usage "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I sure do hope to see that Eiffel Tire in Paris sometime."

RETARD - (verb) - To stop working. Usage "My grampaw retard at age 65."

FAT - (noun), (verb) -- a battle or combat; to engage in battle or combat. Usage "You younguns keep fat'n, n' ah'm gonna whup y'uh."

RATS - (noun) - Entitled power or privilege. Usage "We Southerners are willin' to fat for are rats."

CHEER - (adverb) In this place. Usage "Just set that bare rat cheer."

FARN - (adjective) - Not domestic. Usage "I cuddint unnerstand a wurd he sed ... must be from some farn country."

DID - (adjective) - Not alive. Usage "He's did, Jim."

ARE - (noun) - A colorless, odorless gas Oxygen. Usage "He cain't breathe...give 'im some ARE!"

BOB WAR - (noun) - A sharp, twisted cable. Usage "Boy, stay away from that bob war fence."

JEW HERE - (noun) and (verb) contraction. Usage "Jew here that my brother from Jawjuh got a job with that bob war fence cump'ny?"

HAZE - a contraction. Usage "Is Bubba smart?" "Nah...haze ignert. He ain't thanked but a minnit'n 'is laf."
    SEED - (verb) -- past tense of "to see".

VIEW - contraction (verb) and pronoun. Usage "I ain't never seed New York City ... view?"

GUBMINT - (noun) - A bureaucratic institution. Usage "Them gubmint boys shore is ignert."

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I like "Ad Hoc:" "Ad hoc me up a lugee if'n I had some terbakky!"
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I have lived in the South all my life and I know of no one who talks like that.

Must be a poor attempt by a yankee to make a joke.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

hush29 is offline Corporal
    Most of my family lives in Texas and Louisiana. Now i just need to print that out and use it as a guide so i can understand them from now on.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    HAHA...so true. It's a language in and of itself. Though I will say in Norm's defense that it's not as bad in the big metro cities down south, as opposed to the small and medium sized city's.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I have to thank you. As I am moving to Texas in less than a month, this will help greatly in understanding some of my neighbors I am sure. As a Boston transplant to South Florida, I now have a Boston accent with a mixture of Floridan. By next year imagine how mixed up I will sound with a Boston-Florida-Texas accent. I will be so confused!!!

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Heyyyy...careful. I resemble some of those remarks.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

oldtrooper is offline Rookie
    Lewisipso

Same here, and as my old grandaddy used to say " The most frightening sight to a native Southerner is a Yankee headed South pulling a U-Haul trailer. We have to take into consideration that playing with words is how they spend their time indoors from now to next March.

I attended a school with a deputy from Fargo, ND sometime back and the poor fellow thought fire ant beds were prairie dog mounds. He had an entire new look on life after we isnstructed him to press on one with his foot.

That reminds me of a speeding citation I was attempting to write to a gentelman from the FAR NORTH and he was really running his mouth. Hardly took time to get a breath between bitching about the southern speed traps, he was doing over 90 mph. I was to the point of introducing him to the judge when I noticed he had put his foot in one of our fire ant beds. Well you know what happened in about 10 seconds. When he finished jumping around and slapping fire ants off his foot and leg he demanded to know why I had not warned him. My response was "my old mama always told me, never interrupt anyone while they were talking".

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtrooper View Post
    Lewisipso

Same here, and as my old grandaddy used to say " The most frightening sight to a native Southerner is a Yankee headed South pulling a U-Haul trailer. We have to take into consideration that playing with words is how they spend their time indoors from now to next March.

I attended a school with a deputy from Fargo, ND sometime back and the poor fellow thought fire ant beds were prairie dog mounds. He had an entire new look on life after we isnstructed him to press on one with his foot.

That reminds me of a speeding citation I was attempting to write to a gentelman from the FAR NORTH and he was really running his mouth. Hardly took time to get a breath between bitching about the southern speed traps, he was doing over 90 mph. I was to the point of introducing him to the judge when I noticed he had put his foot in one of our fire ant beds. Well you know what happened in about 10 seconds. When he finished jumping around and slapping fire ants off his foot and leg he demanded to know why I had not warned him. My response was "my old mama always told me, never interrupt anyone while they were talking".

Fire Ants i know of, I am not your typical Yankee, been in the South far too long, more than half my life, and I keep my words to a minimum.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Watch ya espect from someone in Minasoda.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Learned about fire ants in Texas. I'll stay up here and just visit y'all now and then.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtrooper View Post
    the FAR NORTH
    Shreveport?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    how bad is it when i didn't actually need the definition to any of those words. i never knew there was a problem talking like that
    "Be Polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Shreveport?
    Hey lew, how long you been ol' ver in shree port boy
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Watch ya espect from someone in Minasoda.
    that dont matter, my dads from NC and moved back a few years ago, i go down there every year and one funny story that I can member as a kid is once I was on a train with my family, my cousin from VA and I went to get a soda from the beverage cart and I asked for a Mt dew and got it, he asks for a coke, and gets a coke. he said no I want a coke, and the lady said I just gave you a coke. no the clear kind he said....He got so frustrated I guess they call everything coke down there and he wanted a sprite. The other funny thing to hear a southerner say is this....Get someone from the south and tell them to say thank you in spanish... you will laugh your ass off when they say grassy ass

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bufford408 View Post
    Hey lew, how long you been ol' ver in shree port boy
    Oh no. I'm not from yankee land. Much farther South. The last time my area got precipation similar to the white stuff I believe Nixon was pres.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    ya'll yankees just jealous because God speaks with a southern drawl.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I can't help it if I'm proud to be a Yankee! Call it "The War of Northern Aggression," the "Civil War," or whatever, WE STILL WON!!!!!!!!!!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    I think I just became stupid
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    I can't help it if I'm proud to be a Yankee! Call it "The War of Northern Aggression," the "Civil War," or whatever, WE STILL WON!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, you won. We got low cost of living, low taxs, cheap (relative) gas, The Right to Bear Arms (Translate: we got guns), low ratio of yanks to us, little or no snow, etc. What did the winners get: Hillary, John Kerry, Mayor Bloomberg, Ted (we'll cross that bridge) Kennedy, etc. Yeah, ya won, but was it worth it???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information