Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you stay with your choice, or choose the other door?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay with my original choice

7 58.33%
  • Switch doors

5 41.67%
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Rhino
  • 2 Post By 121Traffic
  • 1 Post By 121Traffic
  • 1 Post By BPAlpha

Thread: Kind of a riddle...

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Kind of a riddle...

...but not really.

Was having a discussion about this at work today, but I'll elaborate on that after some answers.

You're on a game show and presented with three doors. Behind one door is a car. The other two have nothing. You are given the opportunity to select a door. Before your choice is revealed, the host tells you he will open one door that does NOT have the car behind it. He does so, and extends the invite to either keep your current choice, or select the door that he didn't open. What do you choose? Poll included.

If anyone is familiar with this conundrum or its name, please keep it to yourself for now. No explaining of answers yet. I have intentionally not revealed the name of the situation so no one goes tromping off to Google.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I'm confused. But I say always trust your gut and stay with your first pick
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Anytime I go through a door I press....old habits die hard.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Where's Monty Hall?
    CTR man and Policefan1978 like this.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    I'm confused. But I say always trust your gut and stay with your first pick
    I second that. Go with your gut.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'd switch doors. And seriously Rhino? Geez.
    CTR man and Rhino like this.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsdscott View Post
    I second that. Go with your gut.
    +1
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I know the puzzle so no vote. (and if you know it don't be messing up the fun, durnit!) There is a very critical part that gets left out many tellings, good to see this one does cover it.

Read carefully and good luck

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Those of you who have already answered, please explain your choice if you haven't done so. Be specific. Those who answer from here forward, also explain why!

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    After the host eliminated one option, my chances of winning just increased from 33% to 50%.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I know the theorem as well, but even those that know it dispute over the answer, so I don't think it matters.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Switching or not switching doesn't make a difference in the odds. It's 50/50 either way. You know your chosen door wasn't one with nothing behind it, since they open one of the two doors with nothing -- but that means it still might be... or it might be the other one remaining. You really have no new information, other than knowing that you were at least partly right. (Note, I assume that the door he opens is NOT the door you chose. In other words, it was a "you chose door number 1, so now I'll eliminate one of the other doors that has nothing behind it.")
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Napalm is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I also know the theorum, but will not answer. I agree with Rhino, I don't think it matters.
    Wiping the turds of humanity from the ass of society from 1600 to midnight.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    As someone has stated, this situation is a statistical dilemma known as the Monty Hall problem, named after the game show host's name. It's a problem we spent a solid week on in a statistics analysis course I once took 10+ years, and it's one I return to often to exercise my brain, as it were. My answer is to switch doors, but I return to it often and reexamine my choice. It came up the other day while we were talking about the statistical chances of finding a piece of specific evidence in a pile, and fighting against the old ingrained Gambler's Fallacy.

For those that believe that the choice is 50/50...is it? You started with 3 doors. That means one door had a 33.3333% chance of having the car behind it. Thus, considered together as one variable, the other two doors had a combined statistical probability that one of them has the car behind it. The host, who has prior knowledge of where the car is, and ideally, is acting completely randomly (that is to say, he isn't acting differently depending on which door hides the car, etc) gives you a freebie by showing you which one doesn't have the car behind it. Although it seems counterintuitive, the door he leaves still has up to a 66.6666% probability of having the car behind it. Two times out of three, switching will be the correct choice.

Don't believe me? Here are all possible outcomes of the game with three doors.

Door 1 Door 2 Door 3
    Car Nothing Nothing
    Nothing Car Nothing
    Nothing Nothing Car

Let's say you choose Door #1 in all three scenarios. In scenario #1, let's say Monty opens Door #2 for you randomly, i.e. he has no discernible pattern as to which door he chooses to open when both are empty. You choose to go to Door #3. Oops, you lose...there's still a 1/3 chance of that happening right? Let's say Scenario #2 comes up, and you again choose Door #1, and Monty shows an empty Door #3. You change your selection and win. Same for scenario #3...you choose #1, he opens #2, and you switch to #3 and win. Out of all possible scenarios, switching yields a win 66.6666% of the time.

I know it is counter-intuitive. I know it is. I railed against the teacher that introduced this to us, and I tried to explain it completely verbally the other day and failed. My last example to drive the point home would be to vastly increase the number of doors. Let's say there are 10,000 doors. Your choice has a 1/10,000 chance of having the car. The other doors collectively have a 9,999/10,000 chance of having a car behind one of them. The host, acting randomly, but having knowledge where the car is, does you a favor by opening 9,998 of those empty doors. Do you agree that switching to the final door gives you a probability of winning greater than 1/10,000, and in fact gives you chances upwards of (depending on some variables, total probability vs. conditional probability, etc) 9,999/10,000?
    Rhino likes this.

BPAlpha is offline 1Hrdmrfr
    Verified LEO
    I'd stick with first gut feeling (not switching), then kick the other door in.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.

Lol
    Jenna likes this.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Still sticking with my gut. But this made me think.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information