Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should Non-Verfied's Respond in the Ask-A-Cop section?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- some people have Knowledge on Law Enforcement matters

20 36.36%
  • No - It is called Ask-A-Cop for a reason

35 63.64%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Excellent idea

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Good deal!!!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

pmfc is offline ^

Thumbs up

Good job Will! Sounds fair to me.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Will that does sound fair, thank you. I promise I at least will not ruin AAC.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

kateykakes Guest
    As a civilan, when I ask a question that is specifically directed towards those in LE, I want an answer that comes specifically from those who are just that - in law enforcement.

As was already mentioned, the title of the forum "Ask a Cop" IS self-explanatory. If I was looking for general answers from anyone, I'd post a question elsewhere.

I haven't looked at the "AAC" section here yet (but will soon), but if it is open to everyone, I'll seek my LE answers elsewhere or PM those that I KNOW are verified.

Just my $.02.

Mem
    Mem is offline Banned
    As a citizen, if I have a "police question" and post in ask a cop, I expect to get an answer from a cop. They could be retired, or part time etc but at least a cop. Otherwise I see no reason to post any questions there.

The Punisher is offline Between Heaven and Hell
    Makes sense.
    Tell them I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...LESE/good2.jpg

Curt581 is offline Whatever
    Verified LEO
    There's a simple solution already in place.... Check the upper right if the response post. Look for Verified LEO tag.

My point was that a person asking a question may not get an entirely accurate answer even from a Verified.

For example, as a cop in Wisconsin, what do *I* know about Louisiana law?

Obviously, a court clerk who works in Louisiana would know much more... even though they're not a Verified Officer.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    I think this will be vastly different from O.Com, where moderation is non existant. Here we have moderators and admins that actively participate with the forum. If something or someone is out of line, the mods can deal with it quickly.

I think the rules as they stand now are fair and yet are liberal enough to allow active participation even amongst the non-verifieds. In addition, as Curt said, the bright blue verified tag gives you a good idea of the source of the post.

That said, I still won't post many replies in Ask a Cop, maybe just an opinion once in a while or a follow up question.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    I think Non-verifieds should be able to post in "Ask A Cop", but it should be made clear that not all postings are from LEO's. People should know to look for the Verified tag. Possibly a sticky should made explaining this. It would also serve as a sort of disclaimer should someone on the board post something not based on fact or the law and the reader go out and try it.

Many times non-verifieds have much to add to a discussion and can present it from a different viewpoint. I do believe in a very clear distinction between the two groups however. I know we have the tag in the upper right corner, but I think the sticky is a good idea as well.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_undergrad_08
    I think Non-verifieds should be able to post in "Ask A Cop", but it should be made clear that not all postings are from LEO's. People should know to look for the Verified tag. Possibly a sticky should made explaining this. It would also serve as a sort of disclaimer should someone on the board post something not based on fact or the law and the reader go out and try it.

Many times non-verifieds have much to add to a discussion and can present it from a different viewpoint. I do believe in a very clear distinction between the two groups however. I know we have the tag in the upper right corner, but I think the sticky is a good idea as well.
    Maybe we should just get rid of the ask a cop folder & change the name to "Ask a sidewalk lawyer."

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    Maybe we should just get rid of the ask a cop folder & change the name to "Ask a sidewalk lawyer."
    Damn, there must be more money in slidewalk accidents than I thought, if they've made a speciality out of it now

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Signal_W Guest
    Ok I'm gonna close this thread down because there is no need in beating a dead horse. I will repost my decision here and clarify some things. Ask-A-Cop will be answered by cops. Non-Verifieds are allowed to respond to that answer or ask for clarification.

Only Verified LEO's are able to answer the question asked and ANYONE can respond to that answer or add their opinion of the answer given. I think this allows participation from everyone and still keeps the name of the room true to its name

Additionally, all job related questions should be asked in the Background Questions/Hiring Process area. These questions can be answered by anyone due to non-verifieds currently going through the application process may have more knowledge than Verified LEO's would.

We are trying to make this a user friendly site and keep it fair for everyone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information