Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Deleting one's own posts

How does one delete one's own post? A screenshot of the screen with the "delete this post" button be would be great. I'm just trying to save the mods some work by deleting the more clueless of my own posts so they don't have to!

I used to know how to do this but I seem to have forgotten.
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-17-07 at 08:03 PM.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    well you figured out how to edit it

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I can edit it but I can't find the delete button. Can anyone describe where exactly on the "Edit Post" screen the "delete" button is located?
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-17-07 at 08:22 PM.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    When you click "Edit", there is an area above where you actually edit you're post that gives you the opportunity to delete it entirely

It is above the box where you edit your post.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    When you click "Edit", there is an area above where you actually edit you're post that gives you the opportunity to delete it entirely

It is above the box where you edit your post.
    Thanks! OK, this confirms what I suspected. One (or more?) of the mods is trying to mess with my head by removing my ability to delete my own posts. I remember seeing the delete button where jmur described, but it's no longer there in my account. When I could no longer find it I thought it was either because I had forgotten where it was, or because one of the mods removed it just to mess with my head (I was just explaining to him yesterday that I frequently delete my own posts when I realize they might offend someone). Thanks to jmur's description of where the delete button is, I now realize it is the latter! Thanks jmur--now I know I'm not crazy!

So could the joker responsible, or any of the mods, please restore my ability to delete my own posts? You wouldn't want to deal with the increased workload that would result if I lost the ability to self-censor!
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-17-07 at 09:03 PM.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Jenna, none of us mods have the ablity to remove your delete button. Only Admin could do that?? You might want to PM Will or Brad. You sure it is not there?
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Jenna, none of us mods have the ablity to remove your delete button. Only Admin could do that?? You might want to PM Will or Brad. You sure it is not there?
    OK, maybe I am going crazy. Could one of the computer whizzes post a screen capture of the page where the delete button is, so I can confirm that it actually is missing rather than overlooked due to my insanity?

Then again, this seems like exactly the kind of thing Terminator would enjoy doing for amusement.
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-18-07 at 08:59 AM.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    OK, maybe I am going crazy.
    Going crazy,, You are already crazy!
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Here are screen caps of my edit screen. Am I looking at the correct screen for the delete button? If not, where should I look?

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ame/LEFtop.png

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x.../LEFmiddle.png

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x.../LEFbottom.png

Last edited by Jenna; 05-17-07 at 10:21 PM.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Here are screen caps of my edit screen. Am I looking at the correct screen for the delete button? If not, where should I look?
    First of all, that link goes to the MySpace homepage.

Second of all, oddly enough my delete function is now in a different location. It is no longer at the top of the edit screen, as it always has been. The button is now at the bottom, next to the "Reason for Editing" box. Jenna...if you're screwing with me, I'm gonna be very upset. But seriously, earlier in the day it was on top of the edit box. Now it is on the bottom. I'm guessing I changed a setting at some point today....

No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Ok....now I'm going nuts.

Seriously.

I'm confused like you Jenna....which is really scary.

This is not cool...

It moved again..

Here is another screen shot. Notice the timestamp in the corner, I'm not screwing around.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I cant find it either but I'm having a great time watching y'all go round about it!

"It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I can't find the screens that jmur captured--when I click "edit" it goes straight to the screens I posted.

Who else is having similar problems? If I'm not the only one affected, it might just be a systemwide technical problem--if that's the case, sorry for falsely suspecting all you mods and admin of singling me out for special paranoia-inducing torment (not that that would be unusual )! In any case, I hope someone can fix it--the mods/admin will have a lot more work to do if no one can delete their own posts!
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-17-07 at 10:33 PM.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I cant find it either but I'm having a great time watching y'all go round about it!

In no way is this funny.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Sorry. I'm in the same boat though. I cant find a method of deleting a post anywhere.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I guess yaull just better not write anything you're gonna want deleted later...

and no, i can't delete either
    Last edited by 213th; 05-17-07 at 10:33 PM.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    In no way is this a joke. We cannot remove the delete button from anyone's posts. It's a standard pre-set feature with VBulletin.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    In no way is this a joke. We cannot remove the delete button from anyone's posts. It's a standard pre-set feature with VBulletin.
    How does it move though?? I'm sure you can't remove it from our screen, but how did it move on me?? Is there a setting that I changed or what?

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I haven't been able to find it recently, either.

Edit: Yup, just checked again. No delete button.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Roses is offline Member
    On an older post when you hit the edit button that is found on the lower right of your post next to the quote and QR button you should be able to delete your post as jmur showed in his screen shot. The delete is on top.

On your recent post or most current post you will see the delete on the bottom as jmur's picture shows. After you click on the edit button.

At some point in time we loose are ability to delete our own threads or post. I don't know if it is days, months, or post or thread counts. But eventually we can only edit them.
    Last edited by Roses; 05-17-07 at 11:15 PM.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information