Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Computer issues, again

Ok folks. Some webpages I go to, typically myspace, facebook, espn.com look like this:

Other pages, such as nfl.com, foxsports.com, look like this:

And just now as I was making the second picture, tinypic.com began looking like the first picture above. I typically get a message saying I need the most current flash player, or java. I've downloaded both multiple times and it doesn't seem to fix it. I think I've installed them correctly. My internet is wireless, and is connected. The router is not new, I've been using it since around May 08.

The pages don't ALWAYS load like that, but they typically/most of the time do. And sometimes, the pages I mentioned above load without any problems....but that is few and far between. I use Trend Micro Antivirus and Webroot Spy Sweeper and am updated on both of them, and run them regularly. I've also dumped my cache several times, restarted the computer, and restarted my browser.

I use Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3

Any tips? Do you know whats wrong?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Every time I run into a website with that format, it is due to security/firewall type settings.

At home, I can access cnn in its 'normal' format. At work, it comes up looking like your first screenshot.

At home, I can access aol.com right away. At work, it will NOT display at all.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Some Web pages, such as mlb.com, don't properly detect if Silverlight is installed and will not function properly. This issue is a known bug in Firefox and is fixed by the Silverlight 2.0 beta.

If that doesn't work, what Firefox browser are you using?

Go to Tools--->Options--->Check your settings and tell me what you see?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Some Web pages, such as mlb.com, don't properly detect if Silverlight is installed and will not function properly. This issue is a known bug in Firefox and is fixed by the Silverlight 2.0 beta.

If that doesn't work, what Firefox browser are you using?

Go to Tools--->Options--->Check your settings and tell me what you see?
    Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3
    When I go to tools/options I get the window containing tabs for Main, Tabs, Privacy, Security, Advanced, etc....which settings should I check?

This is the first i've heard of silverlight.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3
    When I go to tools/options I get the window containing tabs for Main, Tabs, Privacy, Security, Advanced, etc....which settings should I check?

This is the first i've heard of silverlight.

Ok. This issue is a bug in the 3.0.3 Firefox browser. I believe this is your issue.

Go here:

http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/

About a quarter of the way down the page on the right you will see a box titled ""INSTALL SILVERLIGHT." Select the option underneath it titled "WINDOWS RUNTIME." Follow instructions from there.

I normally don't do the computer issues here, but ehh, I was in a good mood tonight.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Ok. This issue is a bug in the 3.0.3 Firefox browser. I believe this is your issue.

Go here:

http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/

About a quarter of the way down the page on the right you will see a box titled ""INSTALL SILVERLIGHT." Select the option underneath it titled "WINDOWS RUNTIME." Follow instructions from there.

I normally don't do the computer issues here, but ehh, I was in a good mood tonight.
    Thanks. I'll let you know how this goes.

Thanks. I'll let you know how this goes.
    Either way, the bill's on its way.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Either way, the bill's on its way.
    I think my dedication and service to O/R is more than enough of a payment.

I was really really really really REALLY hoping you'd say "Oh, and by the way...YOU'RE WELCOME!"

Thumbs up

I think my dedication and service to O/R is more than enough of a payment.

I was really really really really REALLY hoping you'd say "Oh, and by the way...YOU'RE WELCOME!"

Josh, you are more than welcome. You're an asset to the site, and I will help you whenever and however I can.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well, I haven't seen the second screen shot up there since i installed the silverlight dealie.

I am still seeing the first screen shot though.

Clear your cashe and private data. Close out of your web browser. Re-boot. Try again.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have a couple of ideas regarding firewall settings, and connection settings within the browsers.

Do you have an msn or hotmail account to use remote assistance?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I have a couple of ideas regarding firewall settings, and connection settings within the browsers.

Do you have an msn or hotmail account to use remote assistance?
    I have an msn and yahoo acct. I'm also on yahoo messenger right now ( for the first time in a long time) I'm not sure about remote assistance though, I have no knowledge of that

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Msn is all you need. We need to find a time and I can dial in and hook you up.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information