Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ask-A-Cop forum

Kimble is offline Fact: sharks love cheeseburgers
    Verified LEO

Question Ask-A-Cop forum

I didn't see where this had been brought up before, but does it make sense to anyone else to limit the responses in the Ask-A-Cop forum to verified LEOs? Seems like that's the point of the forum in the first place, and while others can certainly add their .02 cents on a matter, they could also do so by PM. It just seems possible that trolls could abuse the ability to answer a question directed at LEOs if any and everyone can answer an Ask-A-Cop thread.

Indy Guest
    RP used to have a perfectly good AAC forum that everyone could participate in. It seemed to work fine and dandy for them for quite some time. People will read through the responses and can clearly note who is a LEO and who isn't. If trolls cause problems, I'm sure the mods are capable of banning them and/or deleting their nonsense posts.

Having said that, not my forum so I don't much care what ya'll do with the AAC forum.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    RP used to have a perfectly good AAC forum that everyone could participate in. It seemed to work fine and dandy for them for quite some time. People will read through the responses and can clearly note who is a LEO and who isn't. If trolls cause problems, I'm sure the mods are capable of banning them and/or deleting their nonsense posts.
    Maybe so. I just see a lot of crap posted on officer.com's AAC area, and while this forum does have a verification system, officer.com's is the only other cop forum I've seen where you can Ask a cop without it actually being a cop responding.

Truth be told, I've been wrong on many things before.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimble
    Maybe so. I just see a lot of crap posted on officer.com's AAC area, and while this forum does have a verification system, officer.com's is the only other cop forum I've seen where you can Ask a cop without it actually being a cop responding.

Truth be told, I've been wrong on many things before.
    Well O.com doesn't have a good reputation anyway, so that's like comparing apples to oranges...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this forum is so new that it might be nice to see how the moderators handle everyone contributing, rather than locking things down already.

Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    Last edited by Big Sexy; 09-21-06 at 07:53 PM.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    As long as there are mods that do their jobs it won't be an issue. We seem to have some good people as mods here so I don't think it will become a problem.

This forum from what I understand, is everything RP is not, so in my opinion it would be a mistake to model this forum after RP.

Then again I'm only going from the info others give me about RP so take that part with a grain of salt.

kimby is offline Banned
    Some people were getting a little anal on O.com about civilians posting in Ask a Cop. In some instances there were non-cops who really did have something pertinent to say. Besides, the whole issue was causing WAY too much controversy and bad feelings (which I've been relieved not to have come across on this site). I think as long as it's clear that the post-er is not a cop (by whether it says Verified LEO on his post), it should be okay.

FishTail Guest
    I've got no real problem with non-LEOs answering questions in AAC. I treat "AAC" as a generally descriptive name anyway, it's probably more accurate to call it something like "ask a question about law enforcement". If a non-LEO has something pertinent to say then by all means they should say it. I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to ask a firearms question that Norm could answer it better than I could.

Most questions posted are US or even State or City specific anyway. Why should I, as a British cop, be able to answer such questions when a US civilian can't, even thought they probably know more about it than I do.

Those of us who are LEOs are clearly marked...people can make up their own minds as to the provenance of the information they're getting.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    O.Com is a cesspool with no moderation at all. I used to enjoy posting there, and I like many people there but the forum is overrun with morons.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

pmfc is offline ^
    I appreciate the responses from LEO's in this thread. I didn't post anything in AAC until I saw a bunch of other non-LEO's do it. Until then I didn't know I was allowed to post replies there. This is a very open-minded forum. Keep up the good work.

(no I'm not kissing ass here, I really meant what I said)

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Plus, I'm not a cop, but I know plenty about the hiring and academy processes.

Ken K is offline Banned
    While I like the verification, I have some concern should that become the driving force for the site.

If you present yourself as a LEO, then get verified, but let's not limit everthing to being verified.

Verification separates us from o.com. Having a free and flowing exchange of ideas, without intense control, separates us from the others.

Let's not become a LEO exclusive club.

Besides, it's been a long time since I went through the selection process. Some non-LEO in the hunt should have things to share with someone asking about getting hired.

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile

Verifying

I have a few questions of my own. For starters what is RP? Is it O.com or another site? And am I included in the morons posting in the cesspool or not? In fact, what is the major difference between teh 2.

In addition, what verification took place, is it really secure from wannabees?
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda30055A

Yes, RP has made mistakes in the past and they have been learned from by more experienced people. It's secure.

Ken K is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda30055A
    I have a few questions of my own. For starters what is RP? Is it O.com or another site? And am I included in the morons posting in the cesspool or not? In fact, what is the major difference between teh 2.

RP...RealPolice. Another verified site. I'm still there. Some felt the mods got too restrictive on posts and stiffled free exchanges. How's that for PC?

I don't consider you a moron for o.comm, but there are a bunch over there I would not really care to see here.

I'm not sure what you mean by secure from wannabees? Do you mean keeping them out, or not letting them have any access to your verification info?

Verification on RP and here is very discreet.

The main difference from o.com is the fact you have a high level of confidence that the person claiming to be a LEO has that right.

I don't use the term wannabees ref o.com. The word "posers" comes to mind.

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    RP, never heard of it. safe from wannabees is knowing that a guy with 'verified LEO' beside his name really is. ONe of the reasons Im pissed at O.com is the amount of time I spend debunking wannabees that claim to be Irish and/or Gardai.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken K
    While I like the verification, I have some concern should that become the driving force for the site.

If you present yourself as a LEO, then get verified, but let's not limit everthing to being verified.

Verification separates us from o.com. Having a free and flowing exchange of ideas, without intense control, separates us from the others.

Let's not become a LEO exclusive club.

Besides, it's been a long time since I went through the selection process. Some non-LEO in the hunt should have things to share with someone asking about getting hired.
    I see your point, and don't disagree with you, but I do find it funny that in a forum called Ask a Cop the responder could be a plumber who only knows about the hiring process because he has applied and failed it 17,000 times. But, I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    For the most part, if someone posts information that is wrong or misleading, it'll be corrected by those who know. Should be ok.

Ken K is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimble
    I see your point, and don't disagree with you, but I do find it funny that in a forum called Ask a Cop the responder could be a plumber who only knows about the hiring process because he has applied and failed it 17,000 times. But, I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    So what is wrong about the plumber? Maybe we can see in his/her posts just what was wrong. I know somone on this site who has been turned down several times, but is a respected member. As he is on another site.

Sometimes I get the feeling on posts about why I got hired, it's "look at me." What one department turns down, another may take.

If AAC was going to be totally accurate, it would be restricted to "Ask A Cop on the Department You are Applying to."

Signal_W Guest
    Actually, we just had a discussion about that in the Mod area, and we really never decided what was best.

All points brought up in this post were brought up in ours'
    I think the best way is to let the "People" you decide

Go Vote
    Last edited by Signal_W; 01-06-06 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information