Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Who conservatives like for President in 2012

PRINCETON, NJ -- Republicans and Republican-leaning independents are most interested in seeing Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, and Mike Huckabee run for the party's presidential nomination in 2012. Those three received the highest scores among the 10 possible candidates evaluated in a recent Gallup Panel survey.
    The Nov. 5-16 survey asked a nationally representative sample of Gallup panelists who identify themselves as Republicans or are political independents but "lean" to the Republican Party to say whether they "would or would not like to see" each of 10 Republicans "run for president in 2012."
    Palin, Romney, and Huckabee -- all of whom raised their national profiles during the 2008 campaign -- top the list. Romney and Huckabee unsuccessfully sought the presidential nomination versus John McCain, and McCain tapped Palin as his vice-presidential running mate.
    But not all 2008 GOP national candidates rated as highly in the survey. Republicans are evenly divided as to whether Rudy Giuliani should make another attempt at the White House. Giuliani was the early front-runner for the 2008 nomination, but performed poorly in the early primaries and caucuses before dropping out of the race.
    The only other person evaluated who received a more positive than negative review is Gen. David Petraeus, head of the United States Central Command. It is unclear whether Petraeus would enter politics, but his growing acclaim owing to U.S. progress in Iraq could make him somewhat of a "dream" candidate for the GOP, similar to ruminations about Gen. Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 (who ran) and Gen. Colin Powell in 1996 (who did not).
    Republicans are also evenly divided on potential candidacies from former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Of the two, Gingrich is much better known, but the young governor was considered a potential McCain running mate and is thought to be a serious contender for national office in the future.
    Republicans are decidedly unenthusiastic about possible White House bids from former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, current Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, and South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham. Bush's prospects are obviously hurt by the dissatisfaction with his older brother's White House term and perhaps a lack of enthusiasm for a third member of the Bush family as president.
    Crist and Graham were key McCain supporters early in the primaries, and helped him to critical primary wins in their home states. But the GOP rank-and-file apparently does not want these McCain loyalists to become presidential candidates themselves. It is unclear whether this has anything to do with their affiliation with McCain, although it should be pointed out that Republicans still regarded McCain quite positively after his election defeat.
    Palin Appeals to Conservatives
    Members of the 2008 Republican field each sought to establish himself as the "true conservative" candidate in an attempt to appeal to the vast majority of the party's voters. For the 2012 campaign, Palin would seem to have a slight edge over the rest of the possible candidates in establishing an early foothold among the party's base.
    Seventy-three percent of Republicans who describe their political views as "conservative" would like to see Palin run in 2012, significantly more than any other candidate. Liberal and moderate Republicans, in turn, are somewhat cool to a 2012 Palin bid. This group tends to favor Romney over any of the other potential candidates.
    As the table shows, conservative Republicans are in general more enthusiastic about most of the candidates seeking the White House than are moderate and liberal Republicans. In fact, of the 10 candidates tested, there are only 2 (Giuliani and Romney) for whom moderate and liberal Republicans are significantly more likely to favor than oppose a White House bid.
    Survey Methods
    Results for this Gallup Panel study are based on telephone interviews with 799 Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, aged 18 and older, conducted Nov. 5-16, 2008. The survey was the post-election phase of a pre-/post-election survey of approximately 2,000 Gallup Panel members.
    Gallup Panel members are recruited through random selection methods. The panel is weighted so that it is demographically representative of the U.S. adult population. For results based on this sample, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is 4 percentage points.
    In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Other than Newt, are they going to add a conservative to the list?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Palin, Huckabee, and Jindal aren't conservative enough for you? Who would you add that would be more conservative?

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Bobby_Jindal.htm

Give me a good honest opinion about our Govenor. Is he conservative enough? If not why not?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    From firsthand experience, I'd cerainly classify Jindal as a conservative.

I think Palin might have difficulty being taken seriously since the McCain campaign debacle. While I certainly do not blame her personally, there was far too much playing to the middle going on. She was ill-advised, squelched, and subjected to far too much criticism without the ability to thoughtfully retort.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The reason I ask is that, outside of only running for office recently and holding two offices, I thought his tactics against our legislature was excellent. He basiclly waited them out to get agenda(s) through them that would only benefit Louisiana and then smacked them on the nose with their salary veto, saying he would not go against the majority of Louisiana voters. So far he has been a stand up guy that I can see. I am interested in how he is going to handle the forecasted budget downfall for next year. He may have overstated the amount so it won't seem as bad when the real numbers hit, but either way he will have to work strategy.
    Also I'm not speaking of his "inexperience", just his conservative stance. Don't read anything into this either. I am truly wanting a observational opinion to assist me in my future political decisions.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    From firsthand experience, I'd cerainly classify Jindal as a conservative.

I think Palin might have difficulty being taken seriously since the McCain campaign debacle. While I certainly do not blame her personally, there was far too much playing to the middle going on. She was ill-advised, squelched, and subjected to far too much criticism without the ability to thoughtfully retort.
    I like Jindal and Huckabee. As far as Palin, I bet I would like her a lot more running with either the two gentlemen I listed. I would love to see her not being muzzled by the likes of the McCain campaign geniuses. I will say right now that Newt is smater than any two people on that list. I also look forward to the FairTax becoming an issue.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

I like Jindal and Huckabee.

As far as Palin, I bet I would like her a lot more running with either the two gentlemen I listed. I would love to see her not being muzzled by the likes of the McCain campaign geniuses.

I will say right now that Newt is smater than any two people on that list.

I also look forward to the FairTax becoming an issue.
    I'm in 100% agreement on the above.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't really know much about him, but if you say he's conservative, I believe y'all.

And to answer Jenna, Palin and Huckabee are not conservative enough for me.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

And to answer Jenna, Palin and Huckabee are not conservative enough for me.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Don't feel too bad Maclean. I'm only about two steps to the left of Old Testament God.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Ah come on now Term - Huckabee is brilliant on taxes but is not a small government conservative. One doesn't have to go too far to find an article pointing out that conservatives didn't think the Huckster was one of them. He ran as a religious conservative, but was called on it in the press and by those on the right as well.

As for Palin - Palin I like, truly. She's plucky, and has the right spirit of cleanup and morals. I'm just not sure she's the next Ronald Reagan.

I want to see a new contract with America - a real commitment to lower taxes, small government, and the Feds staying out of the States business.

I want promises to scrap stupid gun control schemes that don't work and only punish the law abiding.

I want a President who will kick ass publicly using the worlds mightiest military, and make clear that they understand when not to use it.

I want someone without ties to domestic terrorists, illegal money donations, or a pretend voting record.

Of that list, very few people measure up.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quote Originally Posted by Maclean
    He ran as a religious conservative, but was called on it in the press and by those on the right as well.
    By the press, you are referring to the same liberal media I am, I assume. The fact is, Huckabee is a religious conservative. He's a Pastor. He's also a conservative. Therefore he is a religious conservative. I may not agree with him 100%, but when has anyone ever agreed with a politican 100% of the time? He may not be conservative enough for you, but he's conservative enough for me. And I can't help but wonder who possibly is conservative enough for you.

As for Palin - Palin I like, truly. She's plucky, and has the right spirit of cleanup and morals. I'm just not sure she's the next Ronald Reagan.
    Would a true conservative sign an actual amnesty bill during his presidency which allowed 5.6 million illegals to gain citizenship? Would a true conservative promise to abolish the Departments of Education and Energy, but instead create a new federal department and let the federal payroll grow by 61,000 employees.

The 'true conservative' I speak of is Ronald Reagan. He's my favorite President of all time, but let's be real. He is not nearly the hard right conservative that some conservatives make him out to be. Actually, I don't know a single candidate who is as conservative as you'd like them to be.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think you're confusing two things I said...

I had typed out a laundry list of what I felt was conservative - Reagan was those things. I haven't made him out to be far right, and that misses the point.

My personal politics are not as "far right" as you make them out to be - however I am an unapologetic conservative.

Mr. Huckabee is a pastor and that makes him conservative? The Right Reverend Jesse Jackson is a pastor.

It wasn't the liberal media that failed to support him - it was other "pastors" and conservatives within his own party.

I think he would have been a better choice than McCain - and have said so. That doesn't mean I think he's conservative enough, just more conservative.

To answer your question about who would be conservative enough for me? Well, that's the point. He or she hasn't popped up yet, although I am encouraged by this Jindal guy.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Until the primaries are closed to anyone that is not a registered Republican getting a true Conservative will be difficult.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Until the primaries are closed to anyone that is not a registered Republican getting a true Conservative will be difficult.
    You may have a point - and here in my State now they have a "top two" primary.

We could essentially have races now between two Dems, all the time.
    I'm your huckleberry...

I had typed out a laundry list of what I felt was conservative - Reagan was those things. I haven't made him out to be far right, and that misses the point.
    You posted Palin wasn't the next Ronald Reagan. You also posted she wasn't conservative enough for you. I made the comparison to show you that Reagan wasn't far right, though you are a big fan of his, and are admittedly a far right conservative.

My personal politics are not as "far right" as you make them out to be - however I am an unapologetic conservative.
    I'm not sure how I've made your politics out to be anything. I'm basing what I post off of your posts. There is nothing wrong with being conservative. I have conservative values, and I am unapologetic about it.

Mr. Huckabee is a pastor and that makes him conservative? The Right Reverend Jesse Jackson is a pastor.
    Nope. You missed that one. You apparently don't believe Huckabee is a religious conservative. I posted that because he is a Pastor, he is religious. And he's with the conservative majority on the issues, and a registered republican. So by default he is a religious conservative, even if he isn't religious enough, or conservative enough for someone. That's what I was referring to.

It wasn't the liberal media that failed to support him - it was other "pastors" and conservatives within his own party.
    Oh, the media did fail to support him. Sure it was others in his party also, but this is becoming common place. Ask Sarah Pailin. The reason is the republican party is going in two different directions and doesn't have a direct path to anywhere.

I think he would have been a better choice than McCain - and have said so. That doesn't mean I think he's conservative enough, just more conservative.
    I agree, he would have been a better choice than McCain. I also recognize that he isn't conservative enough for you, personally.

To answer your question about who would be conservative enough for me? Well, that's the point. He or she hasn't popped up yet, although I am encouraged by this Jindal guy.
    Less than two hours ago, you apparently didn't think he was a true conservative. Now because two people on the internet tell you he is, you are encouraged by him. I would assume in the past hour or two you've been hitting Google pretty hard, or you have a lot of blind faith in a few people on the forums who we both admire.

And with all of the politicans out there, if you have yet to find a politican who is conservative enough for you, then it is likely you have to be pretty right wing. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Just making an observation.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You posted Palin wasn't the next Ronald Reagan. You also posted she wasn't conservative enough for you. I made the comparison to show you that Reagan wasn't far right, though you are a big fan of his, and are admittedly a far right conservative.

I wouldn't say I'm a far right conservative, and haven't done so. My political results typically come in quite differently.

Less than two hours ago, you apparently didn't think he was a true conservative. Now because two people on the internet tell you he is, you are encouraged by him. I would assume in the past hour or two you've been hitting Google pretty hard, or you have a lot of blind faith in a few people on the forums who we both admire.

Anyone who isn't capable of learning something should never consider politics. Two people whos opinions I value told me to check out a link, and I did. I then looked beyond the link to more, and learned something.

This is bad how?

And with all of the politicans out there, if you have yet to find a politican who is conservative enough for you, then it is likely you have to be pretty right wing. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Just making an observation.

If you put conservative together with right wing, then you may be right - for you personally.

I don't personally look at conservatism in a small box.

I think "conservative" means exactly what it says, but we are running into something said long before you and I had this discussion.

To put conservatism in a bottle with a label is like trying to liquify the atmosphere … For conservatism is less a political doctrine than a habit of mind, a mode of feeling, a way of living." ~ RJ White

The idea of conservatism, best explained for me, was said by a man named Kirk.

Conservatism is the negation of ideaology.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Ah come on now Term - Huckabee is brilliant on taxes but is not a small government conservative. One doesn't have to go too far to find an article pointing out that conservatives didn't think the Huckster was one of them. He ran as a religious conservative, but was called on it in the press and by those on the right as well.

I want to see a new contract with America - a real commitment to lower taxes, small government, and the Feds staying out of the States business.

I want promises to scrap stupid gun control schemes that don't work and only punish the law abiding.

I want a President who will kick ass publicly using the worlds mightiest military, and make clear that they understand when not to use it.

I want someone without ties to domestic terrorists, illegal money donations, or a pretend voting record.

Of that list, very few people measure up.
    Maclean for President! (I already read that on the bumperstickers anyway, LOL).
    Arm the sheep!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No way, no how.

I'm not electable - and would refuse the job if elected.

The only job in the White House that interests me is Secretary of Homeland Security.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information