Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Government announces another taxpayer funded bailout...this time it's Citigroup, and the gov't will take a $20 billion dollar stake in the firm

WASHINGTON (AP) The government unveiled a bold plan Sunday to rescue troubled Citigroup, including taking a $20 billion stake in the firm as well as guaranteeing hundreds of billions of dollars in risky assets.
    The action, announced jointly by the Treasury Department, the Federal Reserve and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., is aimed at shoring up a huge financial institution whose collapse would wreak havoc on the already crippled financial system and the U.S. economy.
    The sweeping plan is geared to stemming a crisis of confidence in the company, whose stocks has been hammered in the past week on worries about its financial health.
    "With these transactions, the U.S. government is taking the actions necessary to strengthen the financial system and protect U.S. taxpayers and the U.S. economy," the three agencies said in a statement issued Sunday night. "We will continue to use all of our resources to preserve the strength of our banking institutions, and promote the process of repair and recovery and to manage risks," they said.
    The $20 billion cash injection by the Treasury Department will come from the $700 billion financial bailout package. The capital infusion follows an earlier one of $25 billion in Citigroup in which the government received an ownership stake.
    In addition, Treasury and the FDIC will guarantee against the "possibility of unusually large losses" on up to $306 billion of risky loans and securities backed by commercial and residential mortgages.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Dear God,

Please whap W on the head and remind him he's supposed to be conservative.

The auto industry he can explain, even if I don't agree with him. Banks? Banks make no sense.

Amen.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    well - here I am wondering - since my taxes are helping bail them out, does that make me a stockholder now?

or is the gov't the stockholder - and to what extent, will they keep buying - err, i mean bailing out every private enterprise to the point where the gov't owns everything?

hmmm
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    well - here I am wondering - since my taxes are helping bail them out, does that make me a stockholder now?
    This financial crisis stuff is WAAAAYYY over my head, but I recall the government saying when the $700B plan was approved that the US would be "paid back" eventually by the banks and that John Q. Taxpayer would reap some reward from it...so, i guess in theory, we are all becoming "stockholders" of sorts now by virtue of paying our taxes.

I really hate all this "financial rescue" shit, but is this the only way to save the economy? I mean, if we let Citi, Ford, GM and AIG all die away in bankrupcy (because, I might add, their own stupidity and dumb business practices), will our economy crumble to nothing? If bailing them out is the only way to save the economy, then by all means bail them out. But if there's another way, we should be exploring that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The problem is Bob, the Democrats will never let a "big union" business fail.

The unions are their bread and butter.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information