Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

President George W. Bush has granted pardons to 14 individuals and commuted the prison sentences of two others

WASHINGTON President George W. Bush has granted pardons to 14 individuals and commuted the prison sentences of two others convicted of misdeeds ranging from drug offenses to tax evasion, from wildlife violations to bank embezzlement, The Associated Press learned Monday.
    The new round of White House pardons are Bush's first since March and come less than two months before he will end his presidency. The crimes committed by those on the list also include offenses involving hazardous waste, food stamps, and the theft of government property.
    Bush has been stingy during his time in office about handing out such reprieves.
    Including these actions, he has granted a total of 171 and eight commutations. That's less than half as many as Presidents Clinton or Reagan issued during their time in office. Both were two-term presidents.
    On the latest pardon list were:
    _Leslie Owen Collier of Charleston, Mo. She was convicted for unauthorized use of a pesticide and violating the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.
    _Milton Kirk Cordes of Rapid City, S.D. Cordes was convicted of conspiracy to violate the Lacey Act, which prohibits importation into the country of wildlife taken in violation of conservation laws.
    _Richard Micheal Culpepper of Mahomet, Ill., who was convicted of making false statements to the federal government.
    _Brenda Jean Dolenz-Helmer of Fort Worth, Texas, for reporting or helping cover up a crime.
    _Andrew Foster Harley of Falls Church, Va. Harley was convicted of wrongful use and distribution of marijuana and cocaine.
    _Obie Gene Helton of Rossville, Ga., whose offense was unauthorized acquisition of food stamps.
    _Carey C. Hice Sr. of Travelers Rest, S.C., who was convicted of income tax evasion.
    _Geneva Yvonne Hogg of Jacksonville, Fla., convicted of bank embezzlement.
    _William Hoyle McCright Jr. of Midland, Texas, who was sentenced for making false entries, books, reports or statements to a bank.
    _Paul Julian McCurdy of Sulphur, Okla., who was sentenced for misapplication of bank funds.
    _Robert Earl Mohon Jr. of Grant, Ala., who was convicted of conspiracy to distribute marijuana.
    _Ronald Alan Mohrhoff of Los Angeles, who was convicted for unlawful use of a telephone in a narcotics felony.
    _Daniel Figh Pue III of Conroe, Texas, convicted of illegal treatment, storage and disposal of a hazardous waste without a permit.
    _Orion Lynn Vick of White Hall, Ark., who was convicted of aiding and abetting the theft of government property.
    Bush also commuted the prison sentences of John Edward Forte of North Brunswick, N.J., and James Russell Harris of Detroit, Mich. Both were convicted of cocaine offenses.
    Under the Constitution, the president's power to issue pardons is absolute and cannot be overruled.
    Some high-profile individuals, such as Michael Milken, are seeking a pardon on securities fraud charges. Two politicians convicted of public corruption former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, R-Calif., and four-term Democratic Louisiana Gov. Edwin W. Edwards are asking Bush to shorten their prison terms.
    One hot topic of discussion related to pardons is whether Bush might decide to issue pre-emptive pardons before he leaves office to government employees who authorized or engaged in harsh interrogations of suspected terrorists in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Some constitutional scholars and human rights groups want the incoming administration of President-elect Barack Obama to investigate possible war crimes.
    If Bush were to pardon anyone involved, it would provide protection against criminal charges, particularly for people who were following orders or trying to protect the nation with their actions. But it would also be highly controversial.
    At the same time, Obama advisers say there is little if any chance that his administration would bring criminal charges.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds like he plans to issue pardons for the less controversial first, then.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Sounds like a bunch of slime bags - Why on Earth would he pardon that bunch?

I'm disappointed that the list so far doesn't include the two border patrol agents.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of slime bags - Why on Earth would he pardon that bunch?

I'm disappointed that the list so far doesn't include the two border patrol agents.
    I agree.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

Ramos and Compean

Heres's the info and case number:

WESTERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
    EL PAS0 DIVISION
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA NO. EP:05-CR-856-KC
    v.
    IGNACIO RAMOS and JOSE ALONSO COMPEAN

Drafting a letter to 1600 Pennsylvania now.
    --------------------
    Ref: Randy "Duke" Cunningham: he's a dick-head, and an arrogant, untalented thief. He can sit his sentence out.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I always like how the majority of pardons come at the end of their term, nothing like making sure you try and keep a good name until the door is going to hit you on the ass on your way out
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What if a President one day decided to do something crazy, like pardon every criminal in the world? Would there be a way to overturn that? Just wondering.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    What if a President one day decided to do something crazy, like pardon every criminal in the world? Would there be a way to overturn that? Just wondering.
    one word: NO
    However, the Pardon must cover all aspects of the crime, or, leave it to the Justice Dept to come up with some Civil Rights violation to hand on the individual. I.e. in the case of a drug dealer, depriving his clients of his product. Don't laugh, the Justice Dept pays folks to think up bull shit like this.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    The United States Constitution places only one limit on Presidential pardon - he may not pardon anyone who has been impeached.

Your question was "the world" however - only crimes against the United States need apply.

There is no provision to overturn a Presidential pardon.

For a legislative body to attempt to overturn a pardon would require an unconstitutional ex post facto bill of attainder, explicitly prevented by the constitution itself.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    The United States Constitution places only one limit on Presidential pardon - he may not pardon anyone who has been impeached.

Your question was "the world" however - only crimes against the United States need apply.

There is no provision to overturn a Presidential pardon.

For a legislative body to attempt to overturn a pardon would require an unconstitutional ex post facto bill of attainder, explicitly prevented by the constitution itself.

I guess we should just hope no President will be that crazy!

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    _convicted of making false statements to the federal government.
    _ helping cover up a crime.
    _wrongful use and distribution of marijuana and cocaine.
    _unauthorized acquisition of food stamps.
    _convicted of income tax evasion.
    _convicted of bank embezzlement.
    _sentenced for misapplication of bank funds.
    _convicted of conspiracy to distribute marijuana.
    _unlawful use of a telephone in a narcotics felony.
    _aiding and abetting the theft of government property.
    _ Both were convicted of cocaine offenses.
    Drug dealers and thieves. But the two cops shooting a drug smuggler aren't on the list.

I'm pissed it's taken him this long to undo the wrongful prosecution of those two.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    There was also a deputy prosecuted for firing at a vehicle trying to run him down. Some poor illegal got glass in her eye, so he went to jail

He's also not on the list.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information