Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Gov. Ed Rendell (D) says Obama's Homeland Security Chief is perfect for the job because she has no family or life. Oops.

Politicians are supposed to watch what they say - especially when a nearby microphone might be on. But, yesterday in Philadelphia, Gov. Ed Rendell made some blunt remarks that could be construed as insulting, if not sexist, about Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, chosen for Homeland Security chief by President-elect Barack Obama.
    A spokesman for Rendell downplayed any controversy, saying that Pennsylvania's governor "meant no disrepect."
    Rendell's words were picked up by an open microphone at the podium of the National Governors Conference, held yesterday morning at Independence Hall.
    "Janet's perfect for that job," Rendell is heard to say. "Because for that job, you have to have no life. Janet has no family. Perfect. She can devote, literally, 19, 20 hours a day to it."
    A clip can viewed on The Inquirer's Breaking News Blog: www.philly.com/philly/blogs/from_the_source.
    "Wow," commented CNN's Campbell Brown. After saying she likes Rendell for his candor, she also took him to task for his characterization of Napolitano, 51, a Democrat who's served her state since 2002.
    "If a man had been Obama's choice for the job, would having a family or not having a family ever even have been an issue?" Brown said.
    "Is there an assumption that if you're family-free then you have no life? By some, yes," she continued.
    "Your comments do perpetuate stereotypes that put us in boxes, both mothers and single women."
    The previous two heads of Homeland Security - Michael Chertoff and Tom Ridge - were men with families, but did anyone question their devotion? she asks.
    Chuck Ardo, spokesman for Rendell, denied the remarks were sexist, saying the governor takes Napolitano's qualifications "for granted."
    "His comments simply referred to the demands of the new position that she is going to take," Ardo said around noon. "He believes that public servants at that level of government have no lives, including himself."
    "He intends to call her, but he meant no disrepect," he said. "I think anybody who has followed Ed Rendell's career knows that he is a strong believer in equality of all sorts, and has had strong women at the highest levels of his administrations."
    The Arizona governor's office declined to comment.

213th is offline Solipsist
    i don't see how it is sexist. Poor choice of words, certainly.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

GirlInBrown is offline If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong....
    Verified LEO
    I'm not one to stick up for politicians, but Campbell Brown from CNN created much more drama than this needed. When I first heard it, I didn't think that he meant anything sexist. All he was saying was that since she didn't have a family she could commit more time to her work...This could have been made about a man as well. And we did not hear what he said before or after the comment.
    " The warrior who honors the shield says, WHEN it happens, I will be ready...." Lt. Col. Grossman (Live... 9-11-07)

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Wow," commented CNN's Campbell Brown. After saying she likes Rendell for his candor, she also took him to task for his characterization of Napolitano, 51, a Democrat who's served her state since 2002.
    Here ya go Ms Brown.

Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I'd take it as a compliment.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    I don't see the comment as sexist, per se, although I'll agree that comments like this are more often used about women than men.

It is unfortunate that so many people think that if you have no children and/or no spouse, you have no life. I've had to deal with this mentality in my own career. A supervisor who was trying to convince me to promote didn't like it when I told him I'd decided to focus more on my personal life. He knew the reason why. His response was, "Those things you want are just dreams. The reality is this job is all you have." Rather than knock him out (which was oh so tempting), I simply replied, "Clearly, you don't know me as well as you think you do!"
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It isn't slander if its truth...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It may have very well been a compliment. I personally would have taken it as such. A person in such an important position with a serious amount of time to commit to it would be an asset to the position. It seems to me to be a compliment. Ms Brown seems to have taken it upon herself to defend something that doesnt appear to need defending. Perhaps Napolitano should have been consulted prior to making such a public spectacle about it. Not every comment about a woman's dedication or ability to dedicate to a job is sexist on the part of a man. Being a hard working, selfless, confident woman is an attractive quality. Some of us men appreciate it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information