Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Shocking News: Obama Finds That Closing Gitmo Is More Complicated Than He Thought

Shocking News: Obama Finds That Closing Gitmo Is More Complicated Than He Thought

... or at least than he said.

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote this article imploring the incoming administration before digging themselves in any further with more cavalier promises to shut down the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to develop a concrete plan tackling the problem that, you can bet the ranch, applies to the majority of the 250 or so enemy combatants we are still holding: namely, what to do with detainees we know are terrorists based on reliable intel but whom we (a) don't have enough usable evidence against to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt in a civilian trial, and (b) can't extradite because shocking as this may seem other countries are not exactly tripping over themselves to take trained terrorists off our hands? (To review how this game goes: Bush thinks we should capture and hold terrorists who pose a threat to Americans; the "international community" condemns Gitmo for public consumption but is unwilling to take detainees off our hands (though tacitly thrilled that someone is detaining these maniacs); Obama and the Obamedia say Bush is nuts and the "international community" is great go figure.)
    In any event, today the Wall Street Journal reports that Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who will be staying on in the new administration, says, yes, we'd love to close Gitmo yesterday, indeed shutting it down remains a "high priority," but, whaddya know, it may take a while to get that done. Why? "Mr. Gates said the Democratic-controlled Congress would need to craft legislation resolving legal issues before the prison could be closed. Specifically, he said the bill would have to bar freed prisoners from seeking asylum in the U.S."
    Here it's worth remembering that while the WSJ's editors are frequent Obama critics, the paper's news reporters are charter Obamedia members. So, unsurprisingly but misleadingly, the report also states that Gates "was one of the first senior members of the Bush cabinet to push publicly for the Guantanamo prison's closure, but his calls largely fell on deaf ears." (Emphasis added.)
    In fact, President Bush himself has said, several times over the last couple of years, that he thought Gitmo should be closed. He refrained from following through on that desire because of the very complications that now cause Gates (and, implicitly, Obama) to acknowledge that the facility cannot responsibly be closed unless and until we have a legal process that will avoid releasing terrorists in the United States. (The Left, of course, said this reservation was frivolous ... right up until the moment judges started ordering the detainees released into the United States, just as many of us who've had experience with judges warned would happen.)
    Moreover, regarding this new Gates/Obama proposal that the Democrat-controlled Congress enact some legislation to bar prisoners freed by the courts from seeking asylum in the United States, Attorney General Michael Mukasey made precisely this plea to the Pelosi/Reid rabble some four months ago i.e., shortly after the Supreme Court set disaster in motion with its Boumediene decision that gave our alien enemies the constitutional right to petition our courts for their release. In this piece, I recounted AG Mukasey's proposal and speaking of deaf ears the reaction to it by leading Democrats.
    Naturally, now that it's Obama rather than Bush doing the asking, there will surely be action probably even quick action (though, as Obama will remember and come to rue, many in the hard Left from which he comes don't mind the prospect of terrorists being freed and would prefer the more detainee-friendly procedures that courts are likely to make up on their own if Congress continues sitting on its hands).
    It all underscores a reality that grates even though that we've long understood it: Democrats were never going to get serious about the war until they owned it. Be prepared for all sorts of things that were "constitution-shredding" for the last seven years to transform before our very eyes into "smart, effective counterterrorism."

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    But if we just hold hands and sing with these people they will love us. Right Jenna?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    But if we just hold hands and sing with these people they will love us. Right Jenna?
    Right!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Right!

I knew you would come through and find a picture for me
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    she really is amazing in that regard!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Kunbaya my Lord, Kumbaya. NOT.

YouTube - The Seekers - Kumbaya

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One of the primary reasons that these detainees were channeled to Gitmo was to remove them from theater (where they could still possibly communicate with terror groups, or even incite further violence from captivity). One of the primary reasons that they were not detained on U.S. soil was to keep them from being covered by the 'rights' granted even foriegn nationals here.

These aren't 'criminals'. These are 'enemy combatants'. They are POW's.

They are not entitled to the rights of citizens, nor should they ever be. You do not detain a POW for trial. You remove them from the ability to take up arms against you, and contain them until peace is restored. If peace is not restored in a timely manner, you repatriate them following withdrawal or other cessation of hostilities. If their homeland doesn't want them as free citizens there, then they can pick them up at the airport and imprison them if they so desire. If they were removed from Iraq, then the government of Iraq should further detain and try them (for war crimes) as they see fit. If they were captured in Afghanistan, then the government there should do likewise.

Has America forgotten what it means to be at war? Evidently so.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information