Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

U.S. President-elect Barack Obama failed to give a straight answer when asked on a U.S. talkshow on Sunday whether he had managed to quit smoking.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) U.S. President-elect Barack Obama failed to give a straight answer when asked on a U.S. talkshow on Sunday whether he had managed to quit smoking. In a country where cigarettes are responsible for one in five deaths and smoking costs tens of billions of dollars in health care, Obama has been under pressure to set an example by giving up his reported two-decade-old habit.
    Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" program, interviewer Tom Brokaw told Obama he had ducked answering the question during an interview last month with ABC's Barbara Walters.
    Noting that the White House was a no-smoking zone, Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"
    "I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."
    "Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."
    "Fair enough," Obama said. "What I would say is that I have done a terrific job under the circumstances of making myself much healthier. You will not see any violations of these rules in the White House."
    Obama was often observed on the presidential campaign trail chewing Nicorette gum, which helps ease the craving for nicotine. He has tried several times to quit.
    The 47-year-old president-elect, who takes office on January 20, works out daily at the gym and sometimes plays basketball. His doctor said in May he was in excellent health, often jogged 3 miles a day and was fit to serve as U.S. president.
    Website www.cigaraficionado.com says Gerald Ford, who served from 1974-77, was the last U.S. president to use tobacco on a regular basis. The White House no-smoking rule was imposed by former First Lady Hillary Clinton, now Obama's nominee for secretary of state.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Gee, Tom. How about asking some real questions now that you and the rest of the media have propelled this guy into the President's seat?

Mr. Obama, tell us, why would you have a failed businessman who is guilty of the very same thing that the Enron executives did (cooking books) in a position to help determine national economic policy?

There's a good start. Who gives a rat's ass if he lights a lucky?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Actually, who gives a crap if he smokes or not. No one ever asked Clinton to stop.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    In a country where a great many people get their political news from The Daily Show is it any wonder Tom Brokaw asks questions on a par with TMZ?

RJSims is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    This again, is a perfect example why I dont get into political discussions. The media these days are just plain stupid!!!

kcnuke is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I'm sure their will be many more unanswered answers from him in the future. Afterall, he is/was a lawyer.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by RJSims View Post
    This again, is a perfect example why I dont get into political discussions. The media these days are just plain stupid!!!
    No offense, RJ. But this statement in and of itself makes no sense.

That's like saying: "This is a good example of why I don't like sports. Apples are red!"

The idiocy of media is all the more reason to get into political discussions: So you can see the issues from all perspectives, not just the one-way glass the media puts up.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information