Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

FBI's 76-page complaint against Blagojevich suggests Obama's team was aware that the governor was playing political hardball right before his arrest

Barack Obama insists that he and his staff were not involved in the alleged schemes Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich cooked up to sell off the president-elect's vacant Senate seat.
    But the timeline of activity outlined in the FBI's 76-page complaint against Blagojevich suggests Obama's team was aware that his home-state governor was playing political hardball in the weeks before his arrest.
    That's because shortly after Blagojevich allegedly told his advisers, in an expletive-laced conference call, that he would not appoint Obama's pick to the Senate absent huge favors in return, Obama's apparent pick promptly dropped out of the running for the Senate and joined the new White House staff.
    "Reading between the lines ... clearly somebody from (Obama's) operation did have a conversation with Blagojevich," Democratic strategist Bob Beckel told FOX News. He added that Obama's representative evidently wasn't trying to cut a deal since Blagojevich indicated he was "getting nothing out of the Obama people."
    FOX News has confirmed that Valerie Jarrett, a senior Obama adviser, is the individual identified in the Blagojevich affidavit as Senate Candidate 1.
    The affidavit states that Senate Candidate 1 was likely to be supported by Obama for the seat, and that the Illinois governor was mulling a variety of ways to capitalize on such an appointment. Blagojevich allegedly wanted a corporate board appointment for his wife or millions in donations to a non-profit organization for his benefit, or even an appointment as secretary of health and human services, in exchange for appointing Senate Candidate 1. (Obama nominated former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle for the Cabinet post Blagojevich wanted on Thursday.)
    But in the series of wiretapped conversations detailed in the complaint, Blagojevich and his advisers made clear that Obama was not willing to trade anything for the appointment of Senate Candidate 1.
    An apparently disappointed Blagojevich discussed the post on a two-hour conference call Nov. 10 with his wife, his general counsel, his chief of staff John Harris (who also was arrested), and "various Washington, D.C., advisers."
    "F--- him. For nothing? F--- him," Blagojevich said in response to advice that he wouldn't get anything out of Obama, according to the court document. Blagojevich said he would not pick Senate Candidate 1 without some kind of reward.
    The next day, the complaint shows Blagojevich spoke with Harris about the seat, and said of Obama, "they're not willing to give me anything except appreciation. F--- them."
    If Obama and his staff didn't know anything about these conversations, then Jarrett at least exercised good timing.
    By Nov. 12, news reports broke that Jarrett was no longer interested in the Senate seat. The affidavit shows Harris took this as a bluff.
    But two days later, reports broke that Jarrett would be named Obama's senior adviser and assistant for intergovernmental relations in the White House. By Saturday, it was official, and Jarrett was out of the running for Senate.
    It's unclear who, if anybody, could have notified Obama about Blagojevich's demands. The "various Washington, D.C., advisers" are not named. The affidavit also says Blagojevich met with a Service Employees International Union official, whom Blagojevich understood to be "an emissary" sent to discuss Senate Candidate 1.
    This individual also is not named.
    Obama, who is not accused of any wrongdoing, said at a press conference Thursday that not only has he never engaged the governor on the topic of his Senate seat, but "I am confident that no representative of mine would have any part in any deals related to this seat."
    He said he has asked his team to compile any information they might have about any contact with the Illinois governor's office regarding his Senate seat, so that he can share that information with the public. But he said he is "absolutely certain" his aides were not involved in any alleged dealmaking.
    The affair, nevertheless, has caused headaches for the popular president-elect, who faces accusations from Republicans that he's not being completely honest about who knew what when.
    "There's still a lot of questions out there," said Michael Steele, former Maryland lieutenant governor who is running for the chairmanship of the Republican National Committee. "I think the president-elect did try his best to sort of isolate himself from this. Now the staff and the folks who are representing him, that's a different issue."
    RNC Chairman Mike Duncan released a written statement Thursday accusing Obama of providing "less than forthcoming answers to simple questions" about Blagojevich.
    "While it is encouraging that the President-elect has stated his office will disclose contacts with the scandal-ridden governor, it remains disappointing that his actions are in response to political pressure," he said.

ohionarc is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I don't know about anyone else, but I would be shocked to learn that our President-elect's team wasn't aware....pretty hard pill to swallow with Jarrett being identified as Senator 1.

OhioNarc

TheBigO
    Somewhere in Ohio

"There will be no peace until they (terrorist) love their children more than they hate ours"

The opinions represented here are mine, they are not intended to in anyway represent my agency.....

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'd say that with all the adamant denials about even discussing the matter with Blogo, Obama (and staff) have painted themselves into a corner. Who's lying, the recordings of Blogo, or the President Elect? I'm giving 10-1 on Obama.

Now then... here's the hook speaking from a 'letter of the law' standpoint.

If discussions were held between Blogo and Obama staffers, and it was revealed that Blogo was so obviously attempting to 'sell' the seat through corrupt influencing, Team Obama not notifying authorities that a felony crime was being committed makes them subjectively culpable in that crime. I believe that a specific duty to act by Barack Obama (et al) existed here. That specific duty does not include denial, distancing, nor the suggestion that Blogojevich has mental issues. It means that direct knowledge of Blogojevich's intentions, endeavors, and the likelihood that Blogojevich would make an appointment to a U.S. Senate seat based upon corrupt influencing or bribery should have been exposed immediately and reported to the appropriate law enforcement authority by Obama and/or his staff without delay in order to preserve the integrity of government process.

I'm not even going to beg the obvious question regarding Obama's 'promises' for an ethical, transparent administration, I'm simply talking 'letter of the law':

Illinois State Law Summary: (http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~sgauch/767/files/380.html#220)

Bribery

Federal law and Illinois law both prohibit bribery. The purpose of most bribery statutes is to prevent people from seeking preferential treatment from public officials and to prevent public officers from using their offices for personal gain. Specifically, if a government official is offered or seeks anything of value for himself or herself in exchange for performing an official act, a fraudulous action, or any action in violation of his or her official duty, the elements of bribery may be met.
    This can, and I believe must apply to Obama, (or at very least members of his staff) under the following U.S. Statute:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 47 > § 1001
    Prev | Next

§ 1001. Statements or entries generally

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—

(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;

(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or

(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry; shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.

(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to a party to a judicial proceeding, or that party’s counsel, for statements, representations, writings or documents submitted by such party or counsel to a judge or magistrate in that proceeding.

(c) With respect to any matter within the jurisdiction of the legislative branch, subsection
    (a) shall apply only to—

(1) administrative matters, including a claim for payment, a matter related to the procurement of property or services, personnel or employment practices, or support services, or a document required by law, rule, or regulation to be submitted to the Congress or any office or officer within the legislative branch; or

(2) any investigation or review, conducted pursuant to the authority of any committee, subcommittee, commission or office of the Congress, consistent with applicable rules of the House or Senate.

(http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/1001.html)

Elements of 18 U.S.C. § 1001

Section 1001's statutory terms are violated if someone:
      1. "falsifies, conceals or covers up by any trick, scheme or device a material fact,"
      2. "makes any false, fictitious or fraudulent statements or representations,"
      3. "makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or entry"
      4. and, for cases arising after the 1996 amendments, the item at issue was material.
    Whether the above acts are criminal depends on whether there is an affirmative response to each of the following questions:
      1. Was the act or statement material?
      2. Was the act within the jurisdiction of a department or agency of the United States? and
      3. Was the act done knowingly and willfully?
    (http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/eousa/foia...9/crm00908.htm)
    In that, an Obama advisor (suspected to be none other than Rahm Emmanuel, Obama's Chief of Staff) indeed had spoken with Blogojevich regarding the appointment of the vacated Senate seat, and through that contact had credible, direct, and specific reason to believe that Blogojevich was actively soliciting certain favors (positions in the administration, direct payments, [bribes], and/or other material benefits) from making said appointments, and although Blogojevich was apparently rebuffed by Obama's agent (Emmanuel?), the staffers, and Obama himself have adamantly denied such knowlege, when they indeed had an obvious duty to report that Blogojevich was in the active process of committing both federal, and State felony crimes.

By the actions we've seen thus far it must only reasonably be construed as Obama and/or/through his staff, was guilty of actively concealing or covering up the fact that Blogojevich was at very least endeavoring to commit felony crimes.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Suprise of suprises!!

Sources close to the investigation now are saying that Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel is the star of at least 21 conversations with Blogojevich over a two-week period.

Amazing... totally unexpected, isn't it?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That's pretty damn good. Most Presidents at least wait until they are sworn in to have a major scandal hit their administrations.The Change We Can Believe In .
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    well - maybe once his true colors have been shown - he'll have the shortest presidency in history...

kinda hard to be president when you're in jail for a couple of felonies...

question - could you pardon yourself... lol
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post

question - could you pardon yourself... lol

I was thinking the same thing before I even finished reading your post. I think they can face jail time if impeached and then convicted as they would no longer be president. However Biden could pardon him just like Ford did for Nixon.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Let's be reasonable here. There is absolutely -0- chance that this will reach Obama personally. That simply will not be allowed to happen, regardless of culpability. Imagine the possible fallout were this case to ever have been allowed to come to full fruition, or even meet full disclosure, for that matter.

Blogojevich is the fall guy right now, and depending upon how far the clout-blanket can reach, there 'may' be a few more. It is almost amusing though, how easy it seems to have been for the democrats to start throwing one another under the bus when the light was switched on. Now, the Illinois Dems are in a quandry. They cannot 'allow' a special election for fear that a 'non-minority' or even worse, a 'non-democrat' might sneak in and win the seat... They are fighting to toss Blogo without any due process whatsoever, he's been tried and convicted by his own partymembers, is now awaiting impeachment proceedings. He's even been painted as a madman and his wife has been attacked in the media. Amazing...

Be watching who's talking, (and who's not).

Remember, the investigation itself was halted by the federal prosecutor. There was a reason for that.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Let's be reasonable here. There is absolutely -0- chance that this will reach Obama personally. That simply will not be allowed to happen, regardless of culpability. Imagine the possible fallout were this case to ever have been allowed to come to full fruition, or even meet full disclosure, for that matter.

Blogojevich is the fall guy right now, and depending upon how far the clout-blanket can reach, there 'may' be a few more. It is almost amusing though, how easy it seems to have been for the democrats to start throwing one another under the bus when the light was switched on. Now, the Illinois Dems are in a quandry. They cannot 'allow' a special election for fear that a 'non-minority' or even worse, a 'non-democrat' might sneak in and win the seat... They are fighting to toss Blogo without any due process whatsoever, he's been tried and convicted by his own partymembers, is now awaiting impeachment proceedings. He's even been painted as a madman and his wife has been attacked in the media. Amazing...

Be watching who's talking, (and who's not).

Remember, the investigation itself was halted by the federal prosecutor. There was a reason for that.

Good points. Don't forget that the media outside of Fox News have and will throw a wet blanket over their coverage of this mess to protect their man. No investigative digging will be allowed.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information