Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Obama considering first openly gay head of the Navy

As president of Manhattan's Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, Bill White has managed the restoration of a World War II aircraft carrier. Now, some Congressional and former military leaders think the Long Island native should manage the entire U.S. Navy.

They are touting the 41-year-old Manhattan resident as secretary of the Navy in the Obama administration.

The appointment would make the former Point Lookout resident the first openly gay chief of a branch of the military. And that could make his selection tricky because the government and the country have not resolved the issue of gays openly serving in the Armed Forces.

White, who has worked at the Intrepid since 1992, is not a veteran but other armed forces secretaries have lacked military experience. White has extensive contacts in the defense field through his work at the museum ship that recently returned to its Hudson River pier after a two-year restoration. He also serves as president of the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. The fund has raised more than $100 million for families of military personnel killed in Afghanistan and Iraq and for construction of an armed forces rehabilitation center in San Antonio, Texas.

An Obama transition spokesman declined to comment yesterday on White.

But Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-Manhattan) said "a couple of people from the transition team have called me and I said very good things about him and that I hope he got some position.

"I've known him for 10 or 12 years and he seems to be a very good administrator and he has a very, very demonstrated interest in military personnel and veterans and their families," Nadler said.

While White declined to comment, his spokesman, Howard Rubenstein, said White "considers it truly the highest privilege to be of service to the brave men and women of our armed forces, and their families."

Elaine Donnelly, president of the Center for Military Readiness, a nonprofit policy organization that opposes service by gays, said "he has done a lot of good for military families."

But she said his appointment would complicate the debate in Congress over gay men and women serving in the military, and whether a 1993 law prohibiting that should be repealed. She said having White named to the post "would make it more difficult for Congress to look at this issue rationally."

Paul Rieckhoff, executive director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, said, "I'm sure it will be an issue for some" in the military community.

"The question is: will it get in the way of his ability to lead or do his job?" Rieckhoff said. "I don't think so. He's one of the country's smartest, most dedicated leaders. And I can't think of anyone who's done more for our military and veterans."

Carol Keating, treasurer of the Nassau County Lesbian & Gay Democrats, said she was thrilled that White was being considered. "I think that the more openly gay people who get appointed to serious positions and get taken seriously the more the public will see us as people and not as deviants."

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    41 and no military experience, yep he is well qualified. He certainly can tell them how to put the fleet into mothballs like Carter and Clinton.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Terminator is offline BANNED
    This is likely being done to appease the upset homosexual community, after Obama announced that Pastor Rick Warren is giving the invocation.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    He's slated to be the fucking secretary - not even in the chain of command.

Who gives a shit?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    This is likely being done to appease the upset homosexual community, after Obama announced that Pastor Rick Warren is giving the invocation.

DING-DING-DING....WE HAVE A WINNER! This is simply an appeasement appointment.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    I'm surprised somebody hasn't posted a Village People YouTube yet . . .

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    I'm surprised somebody hasn't posted a Village People YouTube yet . . .
    lol, I was about to look for one when I saw the title

YouTube - In the Navy

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    This is messed up - While the Secretary isn't in the chain of command, he has great influence on wartime logistics. I'm not so sure that restoring an old boat qualifies him for anything other than a program on the DIY Channel.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    I sense a sudden departure of top brass after 20 January 2009.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The service secretaries have been flunkies for years - they aren't even cabinet level and are not in the chain of command.

He could have appointed a service chief or combat commander who is openly gay - and yes, there are some candidates.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information