Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

GOP got Alaska state troopers to hold off on Palin's in-law drug arrest until after the election

WASILLA, Alaska -- The mother of Bristol Palin's boyfriend sent text messages discussing drug transactions less than a month after the young woman's mother, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, was nominated as the Republican vice presidential candidate, according to court documents filed this week.
    An affidavit from an Alaska state trooper, filed Monday, states that Sherry L. Johnston referred in her messages to two police informants to "coffee" as a code for the drug OxyContin.
    Johnston, 42, was arrested on felony drug charges last week after state troopers served a search warrant at her Wasilla home. She allegedly sold OxyContin tablets to the informants on three occasions this fall, the affidavit states. Police said two of the meetings were recorded by a hidden camera and a microphone.
    Johnston is the mother of Levi Johnston, 18. Sarah Palin announced in September that her daughter Bristol, also 18, was pregnant and that Johnston was the father. Their child was due to be born Dec. 18, her grandfather Chuck Heath told the Anchorage Daily News recently.
    Authorities say the case against Sherry Johnston began in the second week of September, when drug investigators intercepted a package containing 179 OxyContin pills. That led to the arrest of the suspects, who agreed to be informants.

According to the affidavit, Johnston sent a text message to one informant Oct. 1, writing: "Hey, my phones are tapped and reporters and god knows who else is always following me and the family so no privacy. I will let u no when I can go for cof."
    The trooper's affidavit indicates that Sarah Palin's candidacy factored into the investigation, with state officials delaying execution of a search warrant until this month, when Johnston was "no longer under the protection or surveillance of the Secret Service."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The article does not contain the allegation the headline suggests....?

If I were a State Trooper in Alaska, I'm pretty sure I would wait to serve a search warrant until the Secret Service were not protecting my target, too.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    The article does not contain the allegation the headline suggests....?

If I were a State Trooper in Alaska, I'm pretty sure I would wait to serve a search warrant until the Secret Service were not protecting my target, too.
    If state or local police really needed to serve a search warrant on someone under secret service protection, how would that work? What if they had to arrest someone under secret service protection? What if someone under secret service protection had to be put in jail? Just wondering.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    If state or local police really needed to serve a search warrant on someone with secret service protection, how would that work? Just wondering.
    I think the political class in the country would not allow it, regardless of party.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I think the political class in the country would not allow it, regardless of party.
    What if a Presidential candidate were suspected of being a mass murderer? Or the President? What if, say, he were considered a flight risk and is about to go to a foreign country for a summit? Could the Secret Service arrest the President on behalf of the local police?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Jenna, I don't have an answer for you, as I am not a fed.

I can tell you I don't want to be the State or local officer who attempts to arrest a protectee.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Two tiers: federalies and locals. They often don't play well together when it comes to who owns the playground. Egos and all of that.

That being said, how many laws are on the books preventing us from citing or dealing with the ruling class when they are in session? I seem to remember the bruhaha over a whackjob female congress critter from Georgia and a US Cap cop. How well did that go?

It's always good to be the king, even when you are commiting crimes (Bubba and the blue dress anyone?).

Thread Information