Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I say bullshit. Tell it like it is. When you're right, be direct, and don't embellish or sugarcoat it.
    So, if it is a bitch that she must be, I guess I'd sire her puppies.
    So if a hot blonde is like that, it's okay.

But when I act that way, I'm an a-hole.

Got it.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    I should add, since I note your location, that I went to college in Omaha, so that's where I was when the professor made this comment. ;-)
    In the interest of full disclosure, I have been try to give Omaha to Iowa for decades. They have yet to accept.

I hope you visited the rest of Nebraska during your time in the area. Folks on our east coast are a region unto themselves. All these fine cattle and they don't have high school rodeos?

Elena is offline Detective
    Verified LEO
    I was amused the first time I went to give blood when I was given a sticker that read, "I bleed Husker red." I used to joke that if I could pick up my undergrad school (Creighton) and move it elsewhere, I would. But I did have occasion to visit many other parts of the state. When it came down to graduate school it was a tossup between UNL and Georgia. If I had chosen UNL I'd probably still be there.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post

Got it.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Got it.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Got it.
    Are you admitting that you are the male libertarian version of Ann Coulter?

I wonder if countybear wants to sire your puppies!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Are you admitting that you are the male libertarian version of Ann Coulter?

I wonder if countybear wants to sire your puppies!

Number A) I admit nahzing!

2) Rhinos have calves, not pups.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I agree that one should be honest, forthright, and not timid. But I think that it is possible to do all of these things while still treating people with respect and without being a bully. Anne Coulter doesn't convince many people, she just talks over and belittles them until they give up the fight. That's grade-school behavior.
    Coulter is often sarchastic. For that matter, so is Rush Limbaugh (who I'm sure you also detest). Both have suffered frequent attacks by the left wherein clips and snippits of their writings and interviews have been taken completely out of context and used as a basis by the media and the libs -- not to be redundant there -- for painting them much, much more overbearing and dictatorial than they truly are. As an example, Mark Levin, Glenn Beck, and even Michael Reagan have all in the past been much more abrasive in their treatment of liberalism and those who espouse it, yet I do not hear them being taken to task nearly as much. Why not? (Popularity).

It may simply be a regional quirk, on my part. I grew up in Minnesota. When I was in college one of my professors, who was from New York, was teaching a class on Jonathan Swift. She was quite amazed by the number of us who objected and disliked Swift because we felt that he was simply too cruel. She said she had not had this problem in either of the other two regions of the country she taught (she's from the Northeast) and described it as the "Midwest Nice" phenomenon.
    I live in the very deep South. People here are considered to be generally socially graceful and outgoing. Rudeness is not highly tolerable to the typical 'southern' sensitivity. I believe that its not so much 'where you are', as much as it is 'what you understand'.

I find it interesting though, that those who most dislike characters like Limbaugh or Coulter have actually only read headlines or maybe a few sentences into an editorial, perhaps heard a few interviews with them, (usually given by someone like Katie Couric), or heard second, or third hand something that one or the other has said in passing.

If you haven't read one of her books, or heard one of her speeches, (where she's not being badgered), then you might be missing out on the 'meat of the meal', and just dabbling with the ruffage.

Case in point: The media went into a heated overdrive over Coulter allegedly calling John Edwards a "faggot" in a passing quip in a speech. She, of course, was alluding to Edwards' absolute vanity, a' la "queer eye for the straight guy" (as the news had reported that same month about the $400.00 haircuts and time he spends in the mirror).

This was Edwards' response:

The Edwards camp tried to capitalize on the hullabaloo by asking supporters to donate $100,000 in "Coulter Cash" to "show that inflaming prejudice to attack progressive leaders will only backfire."
    Sorry, John, no 100k from me today...

Am I the only one on Earth who finds this absolutely hilarious? Edwards, who's net worth is listed as 54.7M is going to ask for donations because 'that bad old Ann Coulter said mean things about me...'

How can you not see the absolute irony?

Obviously, Anne Coulter has a large following of people who like her, so her approach is appealing to some.
    Millions, judging from her book sales and popularity numbers...

But I wouldn't describe conservatives who don't like her as "what's wrong with the conservative party."
    Again, contextual, (but this time, its me who's being misquoted). I will cut and paste (in case you just missed me in a drive-by):

One of the biggest problems with conservatives is that we've become too timid.
    Hmm... nope. I thought English was the primary language in the U.S.? Not in Georgia? Are you guys under an Obama Spanglish order already? I can't honestly see where that statement even nearly says what you contend it does.

Your's again?

But I wouldn't describe conservatives who don't like her as "what's wrong with the conservative party."
    Mine...

One of the biggest problems with conservatives is that we've become too timid.
    Hmph... perhaps I should translate to Georgian next time.

The thing about Ann is simple, you like her or you hate her. I've honestly found few 'in betweens'. Those who like her, just do. Those who hate her though, love to refer to her as a 'bitch', or 'loud-mouthed slut', etc., then actually believe that they can call her out for being 'hateful' in her rhetoric... irony? Pot vs. Kettle?

Why is it seemingly 'cool' for someone to say, "I hate that bitch", when referring to Ann Coulter, then actually use remarkably more profane and abusive lingo in describing her than she uses, all based on the premise that she is the hateful, abusive, and otherwise objectionable one?

I don't use words like 'bitch' and 'slut' lightly. I'd much rather attack an argument based on substance (or lack thereof) than resort to profanity and namecalling. I consider that more like "bullying" and exhibiting "grade-school behavior" than anything I've heard Coulter say.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Verified LEO
    I'm really not nearly as involved in this argument as you seem to be, I think. I apologize if my adding quotes was, in effect, exaggerated extrapolation from what it seemed you were implying and not an actual quote. As I have a Masters Degree in English, I assure you that my knowledge of the language is perfectly fine. And given that I wasn't born in Georgia, I doubt any attempt to translate into that dialect would meet with much better results.

I have read two of Anne Coulter's books, though admittedly I only made it halfway through the second. I have listened to her speeches. She's been a guest on Sean Hannity many times, which I listen to nearly every day. I never once said that I find the liberal side of the equation or their treatment of her to be any better than her own behavior. I have indicated at least twice that I don't even disagree with her opinions. In fact, I agree with almost everything that comes out of her mouth.

I just don't like her. I think that her attitude is bitchy. I don't appreciate her sarcasm. I don't think that she is the shining beacon of the conservative party that many find her to be. These are merely my opinions. I get that you do not share them.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Have you met Rhino??

Oh, wait...

Are you sure you aren't Rhino's alter-ego?

Either way... nice recovery and deflection.

Its nice to have a fresh 'banter-buddy'.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Verified LEO
    I haven't met Rhino, but I do drive my unmarked county car through his jurisdiction every day...probably speeding too, so it may be only a matter of time. We've shared information on cases before.

But I'm not his alter ego. I'm not a Libertarian. :-)

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I haven't met Rhino, but I do drive my unmarked county car through his jurisdiction every day...probably speeding too, so it may be only a matter of time.
    Don't worry, he'll go easy on you. He's a libertarian, after all!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Countybear and Elena,

As impossible as it may sound, I agree with both of you.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.” – Jeff Cooper'

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    Countybear and Elena,

I agree with everyone who has posted in this thread!

Verified LEO
    Have you met Rhino??

Oh, wait...

Are you sure you aren't Rhino's alter-ego?
    Elena's much more intelligent and articulate than I am. She doesn't offer up the easy pickings I do.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Countybear and Elena,

Not so impossible to understand, Snuffy. I believe that Elena and I both agree on Coulter's message. What we disagree on, simply, is her delivery.

I consider Ann Coulter's sarchasm entertaining, and Elena considers it boorish.

I am unapologetic about being a conservative, (perhaps sometimes in the extreme, admittedly), while Elena obviously believes that having a more demure attitude about it is her preference. The difference is style, but from what I've read, not substance. I'm actually heartened and enlightened by our exchange. I hope she is as well.

I don't honestly believe that either of us are wrong, its simply a matter of preference.

I'll close my end of this thread with a few words from Ann herself, and just ask that the reader judge for themselves. For pure randomness, I'll use the latest article on her website.

THIS IS THE DOWNER WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!
    by Ann Coulter
    January 7, 2009

After NBC canceled me "for life" on Monday -- until seven or eight hours later when the ban was splashed across the top of The Drudge Report, forcing a red-faced NBC to withdraw the ban -- an NBC insider told The Drudge Report: "We are just not interested in anyone so highly critical of President-elect Obama, right now," explaining that "it's such a downer. It's just not the time, and it's not what our audience wants, either."

In point of fact, I'm not particularly critical of Obama in my new book. I'm critical of the media for behaving like a protection racket for Obama rather than the constitutionally protected guardians of our liberty that they claim to be. So I think what the NBC insider meant to say is that NBC is not interested in anyone so highly critical of NBC right now. It's such a downer, it's just not the time, and it's not what their audience wants right now, either.

In fact, I think my book is the downer America has been waiting for! So herewith, I present an excerpt from the smash new book out this week, "Guilty: Liberal Victims and Their Assault on America":

When the Obama family materialized, the media was seized by a mass psychosis that hadn't been witnessed since Beatlemania. OK! magazine raved that the Obamas "are such an all-American family that they almost make the Brady Bunch look dysfunctional." Yes, who can forget the madcap episode when the Bradys' wacky preacher tells them the government created AIDS to kill blacks!

Still gushing, OK! magazine's crack journalists reported: "Mom goes to bake sales, dad balances the checkbook, and the girls love Harry Potter" -- and then the whole family goes to a racist huckster who shouts, "God damn America!"

Months before network anchors were interrogating vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin on the intricacies of foreign policy, here is how NBC's Brian Williams mercilessly grilled presidential candidate Barack Obama: "What was it like for you last night, the part we couldn't see, the flight to St. Paul with your wife, knowing what was awaiting?"

Twisting the knife he had just plunged into Obama, Williams followed up with what has come to be known as a "gotcha" question: "And you had to be thinking of your mother and your father." Sarah Palin was memorizing the last six kings of Swaziland for her media interviews, but Obama only needed to say something nice about his parents to be considered presidential material.

The media's fawning over Obama knew no bounds, and yet, in the midst of the most incredible media conspiracy to turn this jug-eared clodhopper into some combination of Winston Churchill and a young Elvis, you were being a bore if you mentioned the liberal media. Oh surely we've exploded that old chestnut. ... Look! Look, Obama just lit up another Marlboro! Geez, does smoking make you look cool, or what! Yeah, Obama!.

The claim that there's no such thing as a left wing press is a patent lie said to enrage conservatives. Newspapers read like the press under Kim Jung Il, which, outside of a police state, looks foolish. The prose is straight out of The Daily Worker, full of triumphal rhetoric with implicit exclamation points. Still, their chanted slogans fill your brain, like one of those bad songs you can't stop humming.

There is no other explanation for the embarrassing paeans to Obama's "eloquence." His speeches were a run-on string of embarrassing, sophomoric Hallmark card bromides. It seemed only a matter of time before Obama would slip and tell a crowd what a special Dad it had always been to him.

The major theme of Obama's campaign was the audacity of his running for president. He titled his keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, "The Audacity of Hope" –- named after a sermon given by his spiritual mentor Jeremiah Wright, whom we were not allowed to mention without being accused of playing dirty tricks. (Rejected speech titles from sermons by Rev. Wright included "God Damn America!," "The U.S. of K.K.A." and "The Racist United States of America.")

What is so audacious about announcing that you're running for president? Every U.S. Senator has run for president or is currently thinking about running for president. Dennis Kucinich ran for president. Lyndon LaRouche used to run for president constantly.

But the media were giddy over their latest crush. Even when Obama broke a pledge and rejected public financing for his campaign -- an issue more dear to The New York Times than even gay marriage -- the Times led the article on Obama's broken pledge with his excuse. "Citing the specter of attacks from independent groups on the right," the Times article began, "Sen. Barack Obama announced Thursday that he would opt out of the public financing system for the general election."

So he had to break his pledge because he was a victim of the Republican Attack Machine.

When Obama broke his word and voted for the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act bill (FISA), the Times' editorial began: We are shocked and dismayed by Sen. Obama's vote on ... oh, who are we kidding? We can't stay mad at this guy! Isn't he just adorable? Couldn't you just eat him up with a spoon? Is he looking at me? Ohmigod, I think he's looking at me!!!! Couldn't you just die?

It has ever been thus.
    Good exchange, Elena. I've enjoyed it.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Verified LEO
    ...while Elena obviously believes that having a more demure attitude about it is her preference. The difference is style, but from what I've read, not substance. I'm actually heartened and enlightened by our exchange. I hope she is as well.
    Good exchange, Elena. I've enjoyed it.
    I am the Clark Kent of cops.

I was a little surprised by the passion of the response, but good discourse keeps people honest (and well-read)! I think I will enjoy it here.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I am the Clark Kent of cops.

I was a little surprised by the passion of the response, but good discourse keeps people honest (and well-read)! I think I will enjoy it here.
    Indeed. Good to have you aboard.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Hey, now we have three intellectuals on the forum. Countybear, Jenna and now, Elena!
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.” – Jeff Cooper'

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Hey, now we have three intellectuals on the forum. Countybear, Jenna and now, Elena!

We have quite a few more intellectuals than that. Don't let forum personalities fool you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information