Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should Gov. Blagojevich's appointment of Burris be allowed to stand?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 69.23%
  • No

4 30.77%
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Burris refused seat in US Senate

WASHINGTON -- The secretary of the Senate has turned former Illinois attorney general Roland Burris away from taking the seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama.
    Burris left the Capitol offices of the secretary, Nancy Erickson, after a meeting of about 20 minutes.
    Outside the Capitol, Burris and his attorneys told reporters that they're considering their legal options.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Since when can the Senate secretary determine whom a state picks to represent itself. Hell I'm all for eliminating the popular election of Senators anyway. The states have no representation in Washington. As it stands today, Senators are no different from Congressmen except for the length of their terms.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think that since the governor is under investigation for attempting to sell the seat, then the person he appoints is automatically suspicious. I don't think that the apointment should stand unless Burris is cleared of any wrong doing AND is confirmed by his state (hasn't happened last I checked)
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They have no legal option. They must seat him, as soon as the Secretary of State certifies him. The Secretary of State has no other (legal) option but to certify him.

Blogojevich has not been impeached, otherwise relieved from office, nor has he been convicted of any crime. This is the problem that inherently occurs when you short-stop an investigation and attempt to try a case in the media, instead of as constitutionally provided. The situation facing both Illinois and the Senate is purely due to political grandstanding and prosecutorial misconduct.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    He's being accepted by the Dems now.

Repubs are snickering as the ChiTown machine grinds on.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I think that since the governor is under investigation for attempting to sell the seat, then the person he appoints is automatically suspicious. I don't think that the apointment should stand unless Burris is cleared of any wrong doing AND is confirmed by his state (hasn't happened last I checked)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Illinois could have stopped any appointment by their tainted Governor by holding a special election and letting the people decide who they wanted to be their senator but the Democrats were afraid that they might loose the seat to a Republican. Now they have no option. What clusterf#@*.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    He's being accepted by the Dems now.

Repubs are snickering as the ChiTown machine grinds on.

Maybe they can put whoopee cushions on his seat.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    What you are saying is that an investigation should automatically bear a presumption of guilt, not only on the subject of that investigation, but also on anyone whom he chooses to appoint. To that, I say 'foul'.

That argument is contrary to the 'presumption of innocence' which hallmarks the American legal system.

Now, as unwilling as I am to defend (alleged) corruption, I am even more unwilling to advocate the State having to bear no burden of proof and successfully acting unilaterally based only upon allegations and press-fueled sensationalism.

By the 'rule of law', these actions by the Secretary of State in Illinois (refusing to certify Burris), and the Senate (refusing to seat Burris) are nothing but political powerplays, and in contradiction of every statutory procedure currently in place.

The corruption case against Blogojevich should have been fully investigated, even if that meant a 'tainted' appointment to the Senate was made.

The investigation, as it sits now, is nothing more than allegations of 'attempted' or 'intended' misconduct by the Illinois Governor (and, of course, a media frenzy). No lives were at stake based upon what the investigation had uncovered before being made public, nor was there risk of any irreversible impact upon government or society. In fact, had the investigation been conducted through fruition of the act(s), more corruption would have doubtlessly been uncovered, and arrests and indictments untainted by sensationalism, would have been realized. Those arrested would have been facing more serious criminal justice exposure, and the people's interests would have certainly been better served. In my personal opinion, the investigation was subverted and undermined by the very federal prosecutor who is charged with representing the people's interests.

As things have been allowed to transpire, the old-school powerbase has been allowed to position itself into a 'best-case' scenario, when in fact, its very leadership would have been exposed for the continuous patterns of fraud, extortion, corruption, pandering, and political pay-to-play prostitution that it has been guilty of for years.

The federal prosecutor in this case, Patrick Fitzgerald, is guilty himself of prosecutorial misconduct, in that he refused to allow the enforcement arm of the Justice Department do its job, hand him the case, and then do his own (through indictment and criminal prosecution of the accused). Instead, he saw fit to grab some camera time, blow the lid on the investigation, and allow the guilty to distance themselves and walk away scot-free. Blogojevich is now a fall-guy, when really, at no time was he the end-all, be-all kingpin of the organized crime 'family' that is Chicago politics.

Thanks to Mr. Fitzgerald, we may never really know just how far-reaching and truly corrupt this aspect of our political system really is, and we certainly nearly-missed an opportunity to clean up (at least) the Chicago political machine that we've heard so much about for so long.

Was he gunshy of the involvement of the Obama camp? Is he actually a servant of the powerbase itself? We might now never know.

We do know though, that with Obama's bold pre-election promises of 'transparency' and strong stands against political corruption, Mr. Obama has been true-to-form with old-school political corruption, coverup, smoke-and-mirror games, and he has run for cover when he and his own fell under shadows of suspicion. Transparency must mean "only when it doesn't involve me directly", and his stance against political corruption must mean that he opposes it only when it serves him to do so.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    What you are saying is that an investigation should automatically bear a presumption of guilt, not only on the subject of that investigation, but also on anyone whom he chooses to appoint. To that, I say 'foul'. That argument is contrary to the 'presumption of innocence' which hallmarks the American legal system.
    Well I must say that I hadn't considered it from that angle. WHen placed in that light, as resistant as I am to Burris being granted the seat, I must say that to deny him would be a grave violation of "innocent until proven guilty". I'm still apposed to him having the seat, but that should be approached after the investigation and trial is completed, the result of which proving that the seat was offered Burris illegally. I think the honorable thing to do would be to refuse the seat until it is proven that he was appointed legally. But, that would be a bit much to expect from most politicians.

Unfortunately, the prosecutor likely screwed the pooch and no indictments will be filed.

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Was he gunshy of the involvement of the Obama camp? Is he actually a servant of the powerbase itself? We might now never know.

We do know though, that with Obama's bold pre-election promises of 'transparency' and strong stands against political corruption, Mr. Obama has been true-to-form with old-school political corruption, coverup, smoke-and-mirror games, and he has run for cover when he and his own fell under shadows of suspicion. Transparency must mean "only when it doesn't involve me directly", and his stance against political corruption must mean that he opposes it only when it serves him to do so.
    No, Obama going back on his word already? This is gonna be a let down for all the sheep if/when they accept the truth about the slimebag
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As it currently stands, the Dems basically had the race card played on them. Fitting and ironic, perhaps, as they have made long and arduous use of it themselves throughout the quest to regain power in the beltway. Blogojevich played an obvious political angle, appointed Burris, who is basically reproachless, especially in regard to the existing pay-to-play scandal, and found (some) redemption in the ranks of the African American political block. In so doing, he basically thumbed his nose at Reid, Pelosi, Obama and the entire Dem political elite. Blogo gave them a great big 'up yours' by ramming Burris down their throats (legally), and basically calling their bluffs.

Dem-elites ran out of other real options (had they even feigned at a 'special election', the African American outrage would have been far too much for them to deal with, and of course, the risk of a Republican win secondary to all the exposure of corrupt Dems was too great). Basically, sticking to the refusal to seat Burris would have showed them to be exactly what they are, pander-ponies constantly conning an angle for power, even at the expense of the minorities that they so wish to woo into their own private block-voter base. So, they are in the process of caving into the Burris appointment. (Double-stacked toejam sandwiches for table 6, please, size 11D).

Once again, Republicans sit and giggle inanely at the Dem bumbling, when they should actually be on the attack. Rather than asking 'what best serves the people, and how shall we assist in seeing it done?', they just sit on the sidelines and gawk. They should be rushing to Blogo's side right now, dusting him off and telling him that 'everything's just gonna be great, Big B', we're going to help you out. Now, just tell us about this thing, and who's ass we need to be gunning for as the honcho el' bandito? How about we move for a special prosecutor to investigate the Justice Department's ridiculous mishandling of this entire fiasco? If we're going to do it, we'd better do it before January 20th, when the new broom sweeps this entire mess under the rug in the Oval Orafice.

You think 'outing' a friggin' secretary for the CIA was a heinous crime? How about compromising a major political corruption investigation in order to cover the tracks of 'the anointed one'?

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Thread Information