Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

How dare they question "The One?"

Democrats not agreeing with Obama might better use caution... or risk falling from the media's good graces.

O-bummer

Congressional Democrats are firing a surprising number of unexpectedly sharp brushback pitches at President-elect Barack Obama and his staff over policy plans and personnel picks, making him look embattled during what was to be a triumphant debut week in Washington.

The honeymoon isn’t over — the president-elect remains widely popular, even among some Republicans — and his Inauguration on Jan. 20 will be a signature event in the lifetime of most Americans, giving his opening days a greater lift and pop than any president since at least Ronald Reagan.

But as Obama buckled down his week heading a shadow government across Lafayette Park from the waning one in the White House, Democrats hit him with daily fast balls reflecting two realities: His team is smart but not perfect, and Democrats are supportive but not supine.

Consider:
    • Obama ended his troubled search for CIA director by naming Leon Panetta. The immediate response: Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) fired off a statement of disapproval, giving a negative tilt to most coverage of the pick.

• Obama floated his plan to name TV star Dr. Sanjay Gupta as surgeon general. House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers didn’t even wait for the official announcement before leading a public campaign to kill the nomination. Gupta "lacks the relevant experience," Conyers wrote to colleagues.

• As Obama makes plans to roll out a sweeping economic plan, Majority Leader Harry Reid gave interviews with Politico and The Hill newspaper and made clear he won't take marching orders from Obama. "I don't work for" Obama, he told us.

• Even before Obama’s plan was formally unveiled, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made plain her displeasure with parts of Obama’s emerging fiscal plan, which she believes does not move fast enough to raise taxes. “I couldn't be more clear,” she said Thursday at her weekly news conference. “Put me down as one in favor of repeal [of the Bush tax cuts] as soon as possible.”

• Finally, once the package was unveiled, Obama's adviser got a frosty response to some provisions from Senate Democrats, who were kind enough to go public with their concerns. “I just don’t think it works. I don’t think that’s going to give much lift to the economy, as well-intended as it is,” Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad, a North Dakota Democrat, told Politico's David Rogers.

On Friday morning, Obama’s only headline on the front page of The New York Times after his biggest speech since the election: “Senate Allies Fault Obama on Stimulus.”
    Senate Republican leadership aide Don Stewart mischievously circulated a compilation of morning headlines pointing to rifts on the other side.

“That's the glass half empty view,” said a senior Obama official. “The reality is that the bipartisan consensus on the need to act, and on the broad framework of the plan, is entirely unprecedented. We will work with members to work through these issues.”
    Obama advisers say they're keeping perspective, recognizing that some of the flak is real, and some of it is the press looking for — and playing up — trouble.

People shouldn’t exaggerate the significance of these scratchy moments. In the end, Obama will likely get all or much of what he wants in these cases. Obama advisers acknowledge they botched the Panetta rollout, quickly apologized to Feinstein, and Panetta now seems virtually certain to get confirmed. Gupta might face a hazing from some Democrats, but it's doubtful his nomination will be stopped.

Congressional egos are a Washington constant. Obama will face constant pushback from Reid and Pelosi who are just as eager as the president-elect to assert and use their newly enhanced power. But the three leaders get along well — and Obama's pick for director of congressional relations is getting rave reviews on Capitol Hill for keeping most people in the loop.

The details of the economic recovery plan, meanwhile, were always going to be tricky. Every senator has his or her own ideas for tinkering with the plan, making tension inevitable. Obama should be concerned about growing resistance on the left to his big tax cut plan, but not even Republicans are anticipating the economic package, whatever its final shape and size, will be delayed much beyond mid-February.

Still, this week served as a powerful reminder for the challenges ahead — many of them inside his own party.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Here's my thoughts: Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, during the Bush administration, enjoyed a powerful spotlight and were powerful people. Now we have a "clean and articulate" junior Senator sucking all of the light from them and they are not happy. The MoveOn.org crowd, hoping for their leftist candidate to shine, are not happy when reality smacks P.E. Obama about making nice with disparate groups in order to keep the country from collapsing into a mild financial or civil war (on Con-Con). Now that the election is over, certain politicos are getting their marching orders from certain folks. Conyers is a proponent of socialized/universal medicine as well as being financially indebted to Michael "Medically Obese" Moore. Feinstein is rumored to have been upset that she was not picked to head the CIA.

And he isn't even in the White House! Sure sounds like January 2001 all over again.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The man is promoted to the level of messiah by his party and the media and apparently is now being dismantled by the same entities. All this and he isn't even on the job yet. Nothing is even in motion yet.This machine will tear itself apart from the inside.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Panetta means the CIA will be gutted - and it is going to make the Clinton gutting of our intelligence apparatus look like a nice card game.

Panetta is a manager - with no intelligence experience - which means they plan to manage the agency rather than use it much.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Maybe time for a mysterious aircraft crash over a Balkan region with a certain cabinet staff member on board?

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Sort of a Stalinist soap-opera developing?
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They are bitching to make Obama look like a centrist. Don't be fooled.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    every time i see five-o's avatar...the truffle shuffle...i pee my pants a little
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Thread Information