Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has proposed shortening the school year by five days to help lessen the state's budget deficit.

BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has proposed shortening the school year by five days to help lessen the state's budget deficit.
    Nearly 40 percent of the state's budget goes to education. The governor says the five-day reduction will save the state more than $1 billion.
    The proposal would shrink the school year to 175 days, making California one of the states requiring the fewest number of school days.
    Teachers and school districts across the state are opposing the move, saying they already have trouble fitting the state's academic standards into the existing 180-day calendar. They say it would take valuable class time away from students.

"For kids that are struggling to even keep up, I'm not quite sure how we're going to get them to recuperate those five days," said Emerson Elementary School principal Linda Acuff.
    "Well I'm a teacher so for me it's not a big deal because I could do stuff at home," said Saundra Benson. "But as far as cutting teacher pay, you know, that's not something I'm for."
    "Don't cut the schools, don't cut the schools," said parent Michael Marr.
    The proposal also creates an issue with teacher contracts. Teacher pay is written into contracts. If Sacramento cuts a week worth of school funding, local school districts will be forced to renegotiate all the contracts.
    Earlier this week, Los Angeles Unified School District officials told 2,300 teachers that they may be laid off because of budget shortfalls.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Ah yes, because education is so expendable. Give me a break!! I have a better idea. Let's deport all of the illegal families and we'll see a significant reduction in class size and, therefore, lower costs for all that goes into operating schools.

And before any of you bleeding hearts start flaming out on me, I am fully aware that the illegals in schools are not the sole problem -- however, it is a significant problem.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    We need a new poll. Sometihing that asks pertinent questions.

Will CA just self-destruct from its own mismanagement?

Will the Feds bail them out?

Will CA even be missed if it disappears? (Sorry, no offense to you CA folks)

Would we remove a star from the flag when CA disappears or just divide another state in two so there are still 50 states?

Can we deport Pelosi, Feinstein, and Boxer (and all of the worthless actors/actresses) if CA does cease to exist?
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    Can we deport Pelosi, Feinstein, and Boxer (and all of the worthless actors/actresses) if CA does cease to exist?
    What would we do for movies and TV if all the worthless actors/actresses were deported? Reality shows would be all that's left!

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    If California is anything like here, they could shorten their "breaks" and do away with a few teacher inservice days. The children would learn more and they could still do away with the five extra days if they decided to. Personally, I'm all for year-round school.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    Will CA even be missed if it disappears? (Sorry, no offense to you CA folks)

No offense taken, lol. I've been actively looking for a house in New England, preferably MA, for some time now. The only thing keeping me in CA at this point is a paycheck.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adroitcuffs View Post
    No offense taken, lol. I've been actively looking for a house in New England, preferably MA, for some time now. The only thing keeping me in CA at this point is a paycheck.
    You'd be going from the Left Coast California to the East Coast California. Taxachusettes is every bit as bad as California in terms of liberty and government meddling and mismanagement.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Why not eliminate the state level "public instruction" administrators who pull higher salaries than any front-line teacher?

But, that involves crossing the NEA and those unions that represent administrators, those union leaders, and the Democrat Party. The classroom teacher, the students, and learning to think independently are not a priority.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    You'd be going from the Left Coast California to the East Coast California. Taxachusettes is every bit as bad as California in terms of liberty and government meddling and mismanagement.

Oh I'm well aware of Taxachusetts, but it feels more like home to me. Plus, I need to be near an ocean, LOL!

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adroitcuffs View Post
    Oh I'm well aware of Taxachusetts, but it feels more like home to me. Plus, I need to be near an ocean, LOL!
    What's the point of leaving California then? There's free states on the ocean a little to the South.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Too true! I think CT is about ready to write off also.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Thread Information