Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Why? Because they might write stories like this?
    Your entire story was reported on from the home front, and has nothing to do with battlefield reporting or the hazards those of us who go in harms way we're speaking about.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    If I may derail this thread a little further off course, I am a connoisseur of beers, Maclean. Cheap beers. Keystone, PBR, Lone Star (my favorite), Strohs...I even once closed a big insurance sale (back in the pre-LE days) over a table full of empty Pearl cans. If you ever head down to Texas, lemme know...there's a great bar in Dallas (Deep Ellum section) called "Longhorns" that sells big-ass hamburgers and $1 cans of Lone Star. And I'f I'm ever up NW, I'll call you and we can share some bottles of "beer" with hints of blackberries and peat moss.
    Blackberries and moss, LOL!

It might surprise you to know that as much as 77% of the hops grown in the United States are grown right here in Washington - and 25% of the worlds supply.

So even your PBR has roots out west.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Your entire story was reported on from the home front, and has nothing to do with battlefield reporting or the hazards those of us who go in harms way were speaking about.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Maclean again.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Your entire story was reported on from the home front, and has nothing to do with battlefield reporting or the hazards those of us who go in harms way we're speaking about.
    It was intended as an example of some of the countless stories on the military that actually try to make a positive change for our military personal.

Going by the statements of Joe the Plumber...
    he believes the media shouldn’t be allowed to do “reporting” on wars.
    Which gave me the impression this was not just about embedded reporters, but all reporting.

Of course, he also thought there were no reporters on the front lines during WWI or WWII, which proves he's a moron.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Maclean again.
    Got him.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Big time ownage.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I'm currently reading "American Soldier" by General Tommy Franks (which, BTW, is a *great* read). He said that for the build-up to the first Gulf War, the planners at CENTCOM knew Saddam relied on CNN as gospel truth as to what the U.S. forces were planning on doing. Franks allowed false plans to leak to the media so that Saddam would think we were going to attack from one direction. CNN bit hook, line, & sinker and the U.S. ground forces completely caught the Iraqi army by surprise with their advance from the SW desert.

Reporting on war is good and necessary. Reporting on troop locations and strategies is, at best, dangerous and treasonous, at worst.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Wow, really? I mean sure, we new to cable news were fed shit like this...but basing military planning on it? Bizarre. (Watch - see how it jives with your recollections from the time.)

CNN Lies fresh from 1991. (Didn't they later admit they weren't in country in an agreement with Saddam? Not that many viewers gave a damn about being lied to.)

YouTube - CNN LIES to us, Live from 1991

Edit * BTW, I'm not saying they weren't giving him better intelligence than they were reporting to us. I don't know the ins-and-outs of that agreement. I just remember they had one.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    After several quarters in college exploring a journalism degree, I learned that the media is a whorehouse and a business that really believes in the worst, wants the worts and the worst sells for them. The jackoffs at CNN, MSLSD, FoxyNews, whatever want failure because it is good business. Most could care less about the troops so long as their asses and gear got out intact.

Unless a reporter has genuine experience, they should stay home and keep bopping their wife and mistress. I have no use for schlocky journalists and talking heads.

As an example, the Spanish-American War would not have gone forward if Randolph Hearst hadn't ginned up a tragic accident on the USS Maine as a deliberate attack. Hearst wanted papers to sell and war stories sell papers. So began the age we now see on television and other new media forms.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I'm currently reading "American Soldier" by General Tommy Franks (which, BTW, is a *great* read).
    Agreed! Excellent book, and debunks a lot of the media bullshit we heard about the ground war in Iraq.

Remember when we were told they were bogged down? Read the book and find out the real game Franks was playing.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    The purpose of the media is to sell soap, not report the news. They report the news so people will read/watch their reports and see the commercials for soap. That's where they make their money, not reporting anything.

The competition created by the Internet and cable news has created a panic where they have to sensationalize everything just in order to compete.

Now that being said, do you people who are bitching about the media really want a state controlled media? Putin routinely shuts down any media that criticizes him. About a year ago, Chavez closed the last independant radio station in Venezuela.

The Democrats want to pass the "Fairness Doctrine", which will virtually eliminate conservative talk radio.

I don't like the way the media reports the war. I didn't like the way they reported the Vietnam war either. But if you're naive enough to think that left to its own devices, the government will "do the right thing", you're an idiot. I was in the Army during war and I've spent just about all my adult life working for the government in one form or the other. The one thing I know for sure it that the people in the government can't be trusted any farther than you can see them. Do you really think that w/o the press, the government will act according to the way YOU think they should?

A free press is a small fucking price to pay for freedom. If you want a locked down press, there are a number of countries you can go to and try it out.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "A government strong enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have".
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    A free press is a small fucking price to pay for freedom. If you want a locked down press, there are a number of countries you can go to and try it out.
    I went back and read over the entire thread.

I didn't see anyone advocate a state controlled media.

I didn't see anyone suggesting we should lock down the press.

What I saw, repeated several times, is that we do not have to cooperate with the press and provide them access to a combat theatre where they promptly report everything they see.

An enemy found doing the same thing would be shot as a spy.

The first amendment says the press can report what they wish to report, but it says nothing about requiring the military to provide intelligence information.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Having a free press is one thing. The press is free here. They just choose to bow and slant to the very party that wants the "Fairness Doctrine". I think you have misinterpreted the statements here.

Reports on the war? Yes
    Reports constantly telling us we are in a quagmire, when in fact we are winning? NO.
    Buying into the progaganda readily provided by terrorist? NO.

I, like you, do not have faith in politicians. Especially those in D.C. I do have faith in our troops. The New York Times comes to mind most often of as a member of the press that underminds our policies abroad.
    As far as the Jefferson quote, I only need my government to protect me from foriegn invasion. The rest goes to my State and, more importantly, my responsibility.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    I didn't see anyone suggesting we should lock down the press. went back and read over the entire thread.

I didn't see anyone advocate a state controlled media.

What I saw, repeated several times, is that we do not have to cooperate with the press and provide them access to a combat theatre where they promptly report everything they see.

What's the difference? Geraldo was the only one that gave out sensitive information. The embedded reporters, for the most part gave a sympathetic slant to their broadcasts. It's the ones here that put the political wings to it.

Restricting the press is putting state control on it. It's just a matter of how much and where do you stop it? People here always talk about once government gets a toehold on something, they expand it, do they not?

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Reports constantly telling us we are in a quagmire, when in fact we are winning? NO.
    Buying into the progaganda readily provided by terrorist? NO.
    What other restrictions should you put on them? And who decides? Restricting the press is like gun control, where do you stop it? Do you really want to open the door where someone can tell the press what they can't report?

The second amendment has been compromised, why not the first? What's next, the press can't criticize the President? That would be the next logical step. Look at the restrictions placed on gun ownership and the continuing fight to add more?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What other restrictions should you put on them? And who decides? Restricting the press is like gun control, where do you stop it? Do you really want to open the door where someone can tell the press what they can't report?

I don't restrict them. I just choose to get my information from other sources. Judging from the financial statements of many print media outlets and ratings of the old guard network news shows....I am not the only one. You sound like you want to blame me for censoring the press you are wrong. They, like law enforcement, have great power over society. When they choose to use that power irresponsibly they do themselves and our society a disservice.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What's the difference? Geraldo was the only one that gave out sensitive information. The embedded reporters, for the most part gave a sympathetic slant to their broadcasts. It's the ones here that put the political wings to it.

Restricting the press is putting state control on it. It's just a matter of how much and where do you stop it? People here always talk about once government gets a toehold on something, they expand it, do they not?
    The difference is between cooperation and restriction.

Geraldo was not the only one who gave out sensitive information, it was done over and over again so often that the COMBAT COMMANDER decided to use it to his advantage.

Check into this yourself, the data has been provided if you wish.

I am not - and neither is anyone else - advocating restricting the press by any State control. What I suggested, echoing Xiphos, is that we do not need to provide them access to combat. If they choose to go, they have the same rights as anyone else in the middle of a gunfight.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I don't restrict them. I just choose to get my information from other sources.
    Same here. But your last post, I read as saying they shouldn't be allowed to :

" Reports constantly telling us we are in a quagmire, when in fact we are winning? NO.
    Buying into the progaganda readily provided by terrorist? NO. "

I don't buy much the media sells either, but I don't believe they should be restricted either.

Verified LEO
    I went back and read over the entire thread.

I didn't see anyone suggesting we should lock down the press.
    Except for this

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Yeah, while we're at it. Let's just abolish that whole 1st amendment thing.
    The reporters there don't do as much damage as the ones here who sit in newsrooms and never leave the office. Dan Rather was one of the most openly biased reporters I ever saw who purported to be a journalist.

I dunno, but I saw a lot of postive stories coming from the embedded reporters when the invasion first started. I've seen few if any since they were removed.

Verified LEO
    The difference is between cooperation and restriction.
    Cooperate and report what I tell you to?

The press screws up a lot, but now and then they get it right. And it's usually a reporter from a fringe media.

We have a weekly rag here that is so liberal it's unbelievable. But yet, they've been the only ones with enough guts to report about a former mayor and US Sec of Transportation under Carter for having sex with his 14 yr old baby sitter. The main media wouldn't touch it until they had the balls to come out with it.

You guys are saying the press shouldn't be able to do this and that. Who can tell them not to but the government?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information